This will help establish the $$$ for Hardy

After the first round, the money drops-off precipitously. I was figuring Hardy would get approximately a 4-year $4M deal with about half guaranteed. And Kelly's deal makes me more confident of that.

Malcolm Kelly signed with the Redskins, 4 years--3.36m, 1.655m guaranteed. Kelly was pick 51, Hardy 41.

Kelly signed

it must be a slow day when you're thinking about the 41st pick signing and it should pave the way for the 51st pick to sign

is anyone actually worried about Hardy signing?

It does, but the ridiculous rookie contracts pretty much only go to the top 5 draft picks. I drops off dramatically after that.

True that. I see Hardy getting perhaps slightly more than what Kelly got, but not much more. Say 4 yrs 6 mil. The question is going to be what they sign McKelvin too. I would guess there you're talking about 5 yrs 19 mil? Maybe more?

I would guess there you're talking about 5 yrs 19 mil? Maybe more?

I know Gene Upshaw believes differently, but the rookie salary pool is way outta wack...the vets need to rise up and challenge their union leader here, not just sit back and whine like they've been doing.

If there was not a cap, I would tend to believe Upshaw when he sez that the big rookie contracts raise all boats...but there is a cap and the vets are getting screwed.

Yeah, I think everybody besides Upshaw and Jake Long agree that the system is broken at the top of round one. There's a limited number of dollars out there, and it's a zero sum game: every dollar that goes to a rookie doesn't go to a veteran.

True that. I see Hardy getting perhaps slightly more than what Kelly got, but not much more. Say 4 yrs 6 mil. The question is going to be what they sign McKelvin too. I would guess there you're talking about 5 yrs 19 mil? Maybe more?

what would possibly make you think Hardy would get more then the guy drafted 10 picks before him

Yeah, I think everybody besides Upshaw and Jake Long agree that the system is broken at the top of round one. There's a limited number of dollars out there, and it's a zero sum game: every dollar that goes to a rookie doesn't go to a veteran.

I hope Long has a worse career than Mike Williams.

I hope Long has a worse career than Mike Williams.

Why? He signed right away, and for less than what he could have gotten by holding out. Hell, Matt Ryan got more than he did. I hope he is a good player, just not twice a year.