This Bud's for EU

/dev/null

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic example of what a weak dollar can do. It took quite a bit of tap-dancing for the CEO who was selling his own shares at $50 to say that $65 was a low offer.

The Fed is sort of hamstrung at this point. Any action to prop up the market will further weaken the dollar and drive commodity prices higher. Any action to strengthen the dollar will destroy the markets. It's an election year and the best they can do is buy time and occasionally jaw-bone in different directions. Fun stuff.

I assume you're talking about your subjective view of their products. They don't suck at making money. That I can tell by looking at the balance sheet(s).

Kinda like a Wonderlic test. :thumbsup:

I assume you're talking about your subjective view of their products. They don't suck at making money. That I can tell by looking at the balance sheet(s).

Kinda like a Wonderlic test. :thumbsup:

Its only a subjective view if you don't take into account any standards for quality out there. :wacko:

Its only a subjective view if you don't take into account any standards for quality out there. :wacko:

This is really a quality/quantity thing. The fact that A-B can produce a lighter beer (pilsner) in huge quantities at 12 different breweries to such exacting standards is a quite an achievement. And it's not me saying it, either. Jim Koch, the nerdy founder of Sam Adams even said so. Of course, he might have just been trying to be nice to entice a buyout. Who knows? I'm mostly drinking Yuengling these days.

Now if you're talking about InBev's Corona, it's a minor miracle that they can sell that swill. The success of the marketing campaign is something PT Barnum would envy. Then there's Red Stripe... :thumbsup:

Now if you're talking about InBev's Corona, it's a minor miracle that they can sell that swill. The success of the marketing campaign is something PT Barnum would envy. Then there's Red Stripe... :thumbsup:

Not only that, but sell them at premium beer prices!

They both suck.

To each his own, they say. But I agree w/ you. I cannot stand any A-B products and I'm not a big fan of brews like Bass, Beck's (that nasty swill was the only thing you could buy on our base in Berlin after midnight, which is why we all stocked up on cases of stuff we could actually keep down @ the BX), or Corona.

This is really a quality/quantity thing. The fact that A-B can produce a lighter beer (pilsner) in huge quantities at 12 different breweries to such exacting standards is a quite an achievement. And it's not me saying it, either. Jim Koch, the nerdy founder of Sam Adams even said so. Of course, he might have just been trying to be nice to entice a buyout. Who knows? I'm mostly drinking Yuengling these days.

Well, when you have almost no flavor to begin with, its not too hard to make another beer that tastes like it. :wacko:

With the sale of A-B, the Boston Beer Company is now the largest U.S. owned brewery. I personally hate the Sam Adams beers as well, but I can at least appreciate them selling hops to the brewers who are more at liberty to produce the tasty beers. They also at least try different styles, and try to push the limits with beers like Utopia and Triple Bock.

Yuengling is 2nd (not a lager fan), with Sierra Nevada in 3rd (mmmm, Bigfoot).

Sierra Nevada can make some stinkers (Southern Hemisphere this year lacked of flavor), but they're the best "big" brewery in the US. Of course, I put big in quotes here, because they still only ship 700,000 barrels a year (compared to Sam Adams at 1.3 million and Yuengling at 1.2 million). Still, they're huge compared to great smaller craft-breweries, like Dogfish Head (39,000), Avery (13,000), Abita (75,000), AleSmith (not sure, not a wide distribution), Three Floyds (4800), Real Ale (only Texas), Saint Arnold (only Texas), etc.

To each his own, they say. But I agree w/ you. I cannot stand any A-B products and I'm not a big fan of brews like Bass, Beck's (that nasty swill was the only thing you could buy on our base in Berlin after midnight, which is why we all stocked up on cases of stuff we could actually keep down @ the BX), or Corona.

Any preference on beer styles? I'll try to grab some brews you can't get on the east coast for the Bills game.

Well, when you have almost no flavor to begin with, its not too hard to make another beer that tastes like it. :thumbsup:

With the sale of A-B, the Boston Beer Company is now the largest U.S. owned brewery. I personally hate Sam Adams as well, but I can at least appreciate him selling hops to the brewers who are more at liberty to produce the tasty beers. They also at least try different styles, and try to push the limits with beers like Utopia and Triple Bock.

Yuengling is 2nd (not a lager fan), with Sierra Nevada in 3rd (mmmm, Bigfoot).

Sierra Nevada can make some stinkers (Southern Hemisphere this year lacked of flavor), but they're the best "big" brewery in the US. Of course, I put big in quotes here, because they still only ship 700,000 barrels a year (compared to Sam Adams at 1.3 million and Yuengling at 1.2 million). Still, they're huge compared to great smaller craft-breweries, like Dogfish Head (39,000), Avery (13,000), Abita (75,000), AleSmith (not sure, not a wide distribution), Three Floyds (4800), Real Ale (only

Can you still find Celis in TX? Was a big fan of their beers, then I think they got bought out by Miller and then somehow went independent again?

Can you still find Celis in TX? Was a big fan of their beers, then I think they got bought out by Miller and then somehow went independent again?

Nope, they don't brew in Austin anymore. :thumbsup: That closed down in 2001.

He currently brews in Michigan, and his beers aren't distributed to Texas. His brewery is part of the Michigan Brewing Company.