Good old fashioned baseball movie

mcjeff215

I took my daughter to see Wall-E today (good movie), and there was a preview for "The Perfect Game" prior to the movie. This one's going to piss off a few people... from the preview, it looks as though it's a movie about a bunch of poor Mexican kids that beat the odds and make it into the Texas and topple team USA. A few little comments about "used to being held back" and whatnot. Paints them to be at a big disadvantage due to their size and ethnicity.

http://www.watchfreeepisodes.com/the-perfe...-the-1950s/813/

Looked at my wife about halfway through the preview.... this one's gonna make a few people mad. I'm not so sure I care as it's really just entertainment, but I can hear the complaints now.

I don't know if there's an truth to it or if it's based on a real incident or anything.

According to the Wikipedia entry, it's based on a true story. The first non-U.S. team to win the Little League World Series in 1957.

Linky.

I saw the same trailer before WALL-E...I think what you mean regarding your statement about this movie making people mad...I think you mean those who are incredibly PC. It's meant to be an inspirational story about a team that thrives in the face of prejudice.

Those who are over-politically correct fail to realize that it's only been within the last fifty years that this country has begun to overcome its prejudices (and quite a few of them still exist today...I'm not discounting that). How else do you go from segregation in the South to a black man with a 50-50 chance of becoming President? In only about 50 years?

Don't mean to bring a political point, because this movie is simply entertainment, but I hope you grasp what I mean. :devil:

According to the Wikipedia entry, it's based on a true story. The first non-U.S. team to win the Little League World Series in 1957.

Linky.

I saw the same trailer before WALL-E...I think what you mean regarding your statement about this movie making people mad...I think you mean those who are incredibly PC. It's meant to be an inspirational story about a team that thrives in the face of prejudice.

Those who are over-politically correct fail to realize that it's only been within the last fifty years that this country has begun to overcome its prejudices (and quite a few of them still exist today...I'm not discounting that). How else do you go from segregation in the South to a black man with a 50-50 chance of becoming President? In only about 50 years?

Don't mean to bring a political point, because this movie is simply entertainment, but I hope you grasp what I mean. :devil:

A little bit of both. With the border issues and whatnot, I'd think it would stir up the minutemen-types quite a bit as well.