Interesting JP mention on Sirius

Heitz

I missed the majority of the conversation, but Tim Ryan and Ross Tucker were taking about Brett Farve (yet again) and somehow JP taking over for Bledsoe came up.

One of the two (Ryan I believe) said that from what he understood JP was not one to hang around after hours working on his game too much. He said that at the end of the day JP would go out the door with everyone else and that if a QB is going to be successful he needs to put in the extra time and JP didn't do that.

Tucker went on to say that when the team dropped Bledsoe and they knew the JP was going to start they were upset because they knew they would be "starting over" (i.e. going from a vet to a rook, he was comparing the situation to Farve / Rogers).

I just thought that Ryan's comments were really interesting; from all that I've read I thought that JP was putting in the extra time and was studying hard to be the best. In the end who knows what the truth is - let's just hope that Edwards is putting in the time needed to have success this year and beyond!!

I missed the majority of the conversation, but Tim Ryan and Ross Tucker were taking about Brett Farve (yet again) and somehow JP taking over for Bledsoe came up.

One of the two (Ryan I believe) said that from what he understood JP was not one to hang around after hours working on his game too much. He said that at the end of the day JP would go out the door with everyone else and that if a QB is going to be successful he needs to put in the extra time and JP didn't do that.

Tucker went on to say that when the team dropped Bledsoe and they knew the JP was going to start they were upset because they knew they would be "starting over" (i.e. going from a vet to a rook, he was comparing the situation to Farve / Rogers).

I just thought that Ryan's comments were really interesting; from all that I've read I thought that JP was putting in the extra time and was studying hard to be the best. In the end who knows what the truth is - let's just hope that Edwards is putting in the time needed to have success this year and beyond!!

The rumour swirling around the Bills, during JP's rookie year, was that Sam Wyche was a little disappointed with JP's desire to study, after all the time and effort he had put into doing things right for him. He felt like JP wasn't taking things seriously enough, at times. Particularly after his rookie injury.

Do you remember that Sunday night debacle against the Patriots, where JP got his first playing time? He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights/fish out of water. Apparently, the sidelines assumed that the other QB was going in to replace Drew (sorry, his name has escaped me at the moment, you know, the old guy from Florida, who wanted to retire, but hung on as long as the Bills were willing to pay him?). Anyways, legend goes, that Wyche urged Mularkey to put Losman in, without a headsup, because he had slacked off miserably while he was injured, and needed to learn the lesson, the hard way, I guess, that as a back-up, you have to always be prepared to go into the game. The Bills weren't going to come back and win the game, so Mularkey used the opportunity to teach his future QB a lesson. If JP had blossomed after that, imagine how much of a genious "meathead" Mularkey would seem like? :blink:

The rumour swirling around the Bills, during JP's rookie year, was that Sam Wyche was a little disappointed with JP's desire to study, after all the time and effort he had put into doing things right for him. He felt like JP wasn't taking things seriously enough, at times. Particularly after his rookie injury.

Do you remember that Sunday night debacle against the Patriots, where JP got his first playing time? He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights/fish out of water. Apparently, the sidelines assumed that the other QB was going in to replace Drew (sorry, his name has escaped me at the moment, you know, the old guy from Florida, who wanted to retire, but hung on as long as the Bills were willing to pay him?). Anyways, legend goes, that Wyche urged Mularkey to put Losman in, without a headsup, because he had slacked off miserably while he was injured, and needed to learn the lesson, the hard way, I guess, that as a back-up, you have to always be prepared to go into the game. The Bills weren't going to come back and win the game, so Mularkey used the opportunity to teach his future QB a lesson. If JP had blossomed after that, imagine how much of a genious "meathead" Mularkey would seem like? :blink:

The name you're looking for is Shane Matthews.

buftex, that is great info - where do you hear these rumors?

I hate to be one of those, "I know someone, who knows someone" kind of people, but a very good friend of mine has a sibling that works for the Bills...I don't get tons of "insider gossip", and when I do, it is usually way after the fact. I can't divulge, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Teams do scan these boards from time to time. I once posted a rare "scoop" and immediately had a few PM's from lurkers, who worked for the Bills, asking me how I got that info...I know it sounds like BS, so take it for what it is worth...I just gotta protect my source. :blink:

I hate to be one of those, "I know someone, who knows someone" kind of people, but a very good friend of mine has a sibling that works for the Bills...I don't get tons of "insider gossip", and when I do, it is usually way after the fact. I can't divulge, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Teams do scan these boards from time to time.

Too late, Chris will be fired on Monday!

I heard it. That was ex-QB Tim Hasselbeck who said that. I always was lead to believe when Losman was the starter that he was always at the stadium late and in the off-season working and watching film. Maybe they were talking about his rookie season?

I heard it. That was ex-QB Tim Hasselbeck who said that. I always was lead to believe when Losman was the starter that he was always at the stadium late and in the off-season working and watching film. Maybe they were talking about his rookie season?

Probably. Tucker was with the Bills from 2003-2004, and 2004 was JP's rookie season.

Dan - thanks for clearing up the host...

Buftex - great inside info; I often wonder how fun it would be to work in the Bills organization, knowing what's *really* up would be so fun.

One of the things that I really like about Edwards is that he's a hard worker and a smart kid. Anyone have a link to that article that was written when he was in college talking about him prepping for the future? Not that I think JP is "dumb", I just think that Trent takes a smarter approach and is more willing to go the extra mile.

Guess we'll find out soon!

Unless of course they're both riding the bench behind Farve :blink:

Do you remember that Sunday night debacle against the Patriots, where JP got his first playing time? He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights/fish out of water. Apparently, the sidelines assumed that the other QB was going in to replace Drew (sorry, his name has escaped me at the moment, you know, the old guy from Florida, who wanted to retire, but hung on as long as the Bills were willing to pay him?). Anyways, legend goes, that Wyche urged Mularkey to put Losman in, without a headsup, because he had slacked off miserably while he was injured, and needed to learn the lesson, the hard way, I guess, that as a back-up, you have to always be prepared to go into the game. The Bills weren't going to come back and win the game, so Mularkey used the opportunity to teach his future QB a lesson. If JP had blossomed after that, imagine how much of a genious "meathead" Mularkey would seem like? :devil:

I've always thought it was obvious this was why they threw Losman in this game. I've also always been on the side that thought it was significant that Vincent shoved Losman his rookie year which led to his broken leg - to me another obvious "lesson" (that unfortunately ended with unintended results) to a kid who needed a wakeup call. I do feel that Losman must have shown arrogance/immaturity when he started (his rep out of college), and think the whole hardworking/film session warrior characterization w/ Wyche was probably mostly overblown mythology. I'll never be able to find it - but I remember some article from the last couple years where Fairchild had some offhand comment about JP needing to learn how to study film - which really didn't jibe with all this alleged film study session warrior stuff we were led to believe before with Wyche.

I've always thought it was obvious this was why they threw Losman in this game. I've also always been on the side that thought it was significant that Vincent shoved Losman his rookie year which led to his broken leg - to me another obvious "lesson" (that unfortunately ended with unintended results) to a kid who needed a wakeup call. I do feel that Losman must have shown arrogance/immaturity when he started (his rep out of college), and think the whole hardworking/film session warrior characterization w/ Wyche was probably mostly overblown mythology. I'll never be able to find it - but I remember some article from the last couple years where Fairchild had some offhand comment about JP needing to learn how to study film - which really didn't jibe with all this alleged film study session warrior stuff we were led to believe before with Wyche.

I think where JP's study ethics dropped in the view of Wyche, was with the way he spent his time while he was injured. He kind of got out of the work habits that Wyche was trying to instill in him, early on.

In all fairness to JP, to my knowledge, he learned his lesson. I think (and this is just my opinion, no "insider info" being imparted here) some guys, like JP Losman, who are very good athletes, have a harder time adjusting to all of the prep work they need for the NFL. It is not becuase they aren't intelligent, but in high school, and college, they can mostly get by on their athletic ability, because the disparity in the athletic levels of players at these levels can vary so much.

In the NFL, where only the best of the best are playing, that disparity in athletic ability of players is not so great. It is the mental aspect that sometimes seperates the players. It only stands to reason, if you never had to do something (in this case, study film) in order to be successful, you might need a little period of adjustment, if that all the sudden becomes vital tool for success to your game. There have been some big name QB"s over the years, who were considered to have poor mechanics in college, who have a hard time getting out of bad on the field habits, because they never had to before. Some learn, some don't.

I remember when Favre "retired" a few months back, one of the things he mentioned as being something he didn't enjoy so much anymore, was the film study. You might infer, as great as Favre was/is, he didn't really embrace this part of the game as much as he maybe should have, thus leading to some of his well documented gaffes over the years. Favre seemed to be one of those guys who often got away with playing undisciplined footbal, at the NFL level, because he was a tremedous athlete. I have heard guys like Steve Young (certainly no dummy) mention the same thing, in regards to their own careers.