Ashton, not gone but forgotten?

Offseason Question #9 is "Who will be the nickle corner?"

Names of the candidates are Will James and rookies Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner.

Is there still anyone out there who wants to defend Youboty's play last year?

linkage

The problem was there was very little of his play last year that one can defend. I would say that he did play relatively well in the final three games of the season where he got some significant time. His interception of D-McNabb was pretty sweet as well. That being said, look at the names involved there. You really think that McKelvin isn't going to be competing for the #2 corner position? This is just some blustering and speculation at OBD. Youboty has worked very hard during the offseason and is likely to be competing for a spot on the roster. Don't forget, we need at least five corners on the roster for depth purposes, and at least one player will make the PS. Youboty is likely to be on the team. If not, he'll be traded, but I find it highly unlikely that he will simply be cut as a camp casualty before he has even really had a chance to show what he can do on the field.

Youboty and Ko can be turned into beasts with a couple of training camps and playoff runs on Madden. We're talking top 5 at their positions, respectively, in the entire NFL :rolleyes:

Yet, that same reasoning cannot be applied to Ko Simpson, who somehow has become the next Ronnie Lott in terms of his potential.

Except that in the second half of '06 there was plenty of Ko Simpson's play to defend. He showd marked improvement over the last 8 games of that year. Ashton hasn't shown any of that. Not sure who'd compare Simpson to Lott seing as he's only played one season and is coming off a pretty serious injury.

GO BILLS!!!

Notice how they said McKelvin has been getting most of the work on the outside. To me, that says that he's going to be starting sooner rather than later. If they had him pegged as a nickel back, he'd be getting reps in the slot. With any luck, Greer will be moved to nickel by midseason or sooner.

Youboty and Ko can be turned into beasts with a couple of training camps and playoff runs on Madden. We're talking top 5 at their positions, respectively, in the entire NFL :blink:

Youboty was actually a pro bowler last year on my wii madden team

Youboty may have disappointed to date, but he still has a lot more upside than Toast Peterson James. I really hope that Youboty finally steps up & this year's version of Jason Webster is gone before Week 1.

Notice how they said McKelvin has been getting most of the work on the outside. To me, that says that he's going to be starting sooner rather than later. If they had him pegged as a nickel back, he'd be getting reps in the slot. With any luck, Greer will be moved to nickel by midseason or sooner.

Not necessarily. Teams are now using their starters on the slot receivers. The Bills did that quite often when Antoine Winfield was here.

Youboty may have disappointed to date, but he still has a lot more upside than Toast James Peterson. I really hope that Youboty finally steps up & this year's version of Jason Webster is gone before Week 1.

Not disagreeing with you, necessarily, but is James that bad? I haven't seem him play a whole lot, but I have seen his signing mentioned in a few places as a "smart", or "underrated" FA signing.

I know you are likely right. The Bills got him relatively cheap, and he didn't have a lot of other suiters, I would assume there is a football reason for that. I thought his lack of production was mostly attributed to injury problems.

Not disagreeing with you, necessarily, but is James that bad? I haven't seem him play a whole lot, but I have seen his signing mentioned in a few places as a "smart", or "underrated" FA signing.

I know you are likely right. The Bills got him relatively cheap, and he didn't have a lot of other suiters, I would assume there is a football reason for that. I thought his lack of production was mostly attributed to injury problems.

I see a lot of NFC East games up here, and he never impressed me... usually the DB that QBs liked to pick on.

Or who wants to defend Marv for picking him in the second round?

He was one of those guys that they say if he spent another year in school, he would have been a first rounder. So taking him in the third was not a bad move, hoping that in a season or 2 of conditioning in the NFL, he would be that player who would have went in the 1st. The problem was that his development was slowed after he missed most of training camp when his mom died and was behind the curve his first season due to it, and has struggled to catch up and make strides yet. He still could become a decent corner, but he will need to step up now and play harder to make the roster because the Bills are moving forward, ready he is ready or not

He was one of those guys that they say if he spent another year in school, he would have been a first rounder. So taking him in the third was not a bad move, hoping that in a season or 2 of conditioning in the NFL, he would be that player who would have went in the 1st. The problem was that his development was slowed after he missed most of training camp when his mom died and was behind the curve his first season due to it, and has struggled to catch up and make strides yet. He still could become a decent corner, but he will need to step up now and play harder to make the roster because the Bills are moving forward, ready he is ready or not

If you have ever seen him up close (I saw him at training camp last summer) the thing that most sticks out about him, is how small he is. He really does look like a teenager...

Youboty and Ko can be turned into beasts with a couple of training camps and playoff runs on Madden. We're talking top 5 at their positions, respectively, in the entire NFL :blink:

The biggest problem with your logic is the playoff runs Madden says we're a 6-10 team

The biggest problem with your logic is the playoff runs Madden says we're a 6-10 team

The biggest problem with your logic is you're going by computer simulation. Play a couple of regular season games in between each evaluation, simulate the rest, and play the Super Bowl. They'll be 90 overall, atleast, after the 1st year. :blink:

I still think drafting Youboty was the right move given the information we had at the time. It just didn't work out. You can only pile so much blame on a coach/GM when they make the right decision and it doesn't work. Similarly, you can't give them too much credit if they make the wrong decision and it does work out okay - I'd put Donte Whitner in that category.

I still think drafting Youboty was the right move given the information we had at the time. It just didn't work out. You can only pile so much blame on a coach/GM when they make the right decision and it doesn't work. Similarly, you can't give them too much credit if they make the wrong decision and it does work out okay - I'd put Donte Whitner in that category.

I would put Donte Whitner in that Category if he was a "best of whats left" choice, but he was the guy that the Bills wanted all along. He was only the wrong choice because he wasn't who the fans wanted and who the Draft "experts" thought they should take.

But your first point is the way I feel about picking up Mike Williams. He was rated as one of the top o-linemen in the draft that year. The Bills took him because they needed a linemen and he was supposed to be one of the best, unfortunatly for them, he was a bust and did not work out well. I can't blame the GM 100% for making that pick because the player was being scouted and predicted to be a great player. The player just didn't live up to the hype

With Youbouty, he was supposed to be a value pick. Someone who could be a top pick in a year or 2, but was coming out early so their stock wasn't as high and was being viewed as more of a "project". Personally, I think that had his mom not died during his first season, he wouldn't be fighting for a roster spot right now. But that death really set him back which was something he probably couldn't afford to have happen since he was already a bit of a risky pick coming out early

Yet, that same reasoning cannot be applied to Ko Simpson, who somehow has become the next Ronnie Lott in terms of his potential.

Great post Rich! Simpson has become something of an icon on this board, and I cannot begin to see why.

Personally, I hope he is the next Ronnie Lott, and that Youboty is the next Mel Blount. Maybe this might prevent Jauron from devoting another draft to chasing after defensive backs, but I doubt it.

He will want another first round safety to prepare for the departure of Whitner as soon as he is eligible to leave town. And ya know....ya just can't have enough corners. :blink: