Baseball not so popular in Washington DC

I'm in on a full-season ticket plan here and, like typical Washington, excuses are like "I can't find the channel they're on...blah, blah, blah."

The main reason nobody watches is that they stink. Pure and simple. They've got more than a dozen players on the DL. The only young "star" they have, Ryan Zimmerman, has been on the shelf since Memorial Day.

Only 25 percent of the games are in HD...yes, this is 2008, and I'd rather watch the Royals-Rangers in HD than Nats and Phils in SD.

This market is too wealthy for anyone to get worried. The team will get better...someday, and people will tune in. Until then, we're watching "Ugly Betty" reruns here.

Why isn't this thread on the Baseball board? :blink:

The new stadium is supposedly to be beautiful but it's also supposedly in a bad neighborhood and I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm much more likely to follow a team if I really love going to see them live. The Indians are my second favorite team because I've had a bunch of awesome trips to the Jake over the years.

Also, the HD versus SD thing is pretty significant as well. Ever since I got my HDTV, I find myself interested in watching any sporting event in HD.

The new stadium is supposedly to be beautiful but it's also supposedly in a bad neighborhood and I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm much more likely to follow a team if I really love going to see them live. The Indians are my second favorite team because I've had a bunch of awesome trips to the Jake over the years.

Also, the HD versus SD thing is pretty significant as well. Ever since I got my HDTV, I find myself interested in watching any sporting event in HD.

It's a very nice stadium and the 'hood's ok. Reminds me of Atlanta...you enter through at the center field gate and there's a bar there that looks out over the field. They made a big stink before the season started about the dearth of parking and that it would be for season ticket holders only. Well, that didn't last, as quickly after opening night, several lots opened up to gameday parking. The four times I've driven there, I've parked in a lot that's only about 1/3 full. The parking mess never materialized, but many here still think that you can't park. Dopes.

Getting there by Metro is ok, but I take the Orange line to Capitol Hill and walk the 1/2 mile to avoid the crowds at the stop right at the park

It's a very nice stadium and the 'hood's ok. Reminds me of Atlanta...you enter through at the center field gate and there's a bar there that looks out over the field. They made a big stink before the season started about the dearth of parking and that it would be for season ticket holders only. Well, that didn't last, as quickly after opening night, several lots opened up to gameday parking. The four times I've driven there, I've parked in a lot that's only about 1/3 full. The parking mess never materialized, but many here still think that you can't park. Dopes.

Getting there by Metro is ok, but I take the Orange line to Capitol Hill and walk the 1/2 mile to avoid the crowds at the stop right at the park

Went to the stadium for the first time last night. For SilvernRed,who mentioned the hood is iffy, I just cannot see that. Now, I lived in the District for a long time, and lived in lot worse places than there. Long story, but we we were at the National Postal Museum yesterday afternoon. If any of you all are in DC and have kids, great hands on museum your kids will love with litle to no crowds ever. It is right across the street from Union Station.

Anyway we are parked in a nice free spot there and decide to walk over to the stadium. Prooly a 30 minute walk through several neighborhoods, all fine. Even found a cool skateboard park type place under the Southeast/Southwest freeway. Bunch of x game looking dudes, all colors represented, but nicest guys in the world. We sat and watched for about 5 minutes as my son loves to skateboard, and a couple even let him take a couple of runs on their boards on the ramps etc.

On to the stadium, picked up scalped tickets for $7.50 a piece for upper level seats on the first base side. Bad idea as the friggen sun was right in eyes and it was hot. So we hung out at the bar in centerfield for a bit and that was way cool.

In short, loved the staduim, no worries on the neighborhood, great place to see a game,not just put a team that can compete in there and everything will be all good.