Baseball not so popular in Washington DC

Nationals TV ratings abysmal

A city that has already lost two MLB franchises gets a third, and no one cares. WTF.

PTR

Baseball fans in the area have likely been longtime fans of the Orioles, a well-established franchise whose games appear on the same network. That has to have some effect. If the Expos moved to Providence, RI and their games were carried by NESN, I'm not sure too many people would've converted from being Red Sox fans, especially if the team was still trotting out the same Triple-A talent they had in Montreal.

DC is the kind of town where as soon as the Nats are good, it will be the thing to do, and the place to be seen, and ratings will be great.

For the record, I wouldn't waste 5 seconds watching Washington this season, much less 3 hours. Pathetic.

Nationals TV ratings abysmal

A city that has already lost two MLB franchises gets a third, and no one cares. WTF.

PTR

I must preface this by saying I live in Richmond now, but still in DC twice a week and think I have a pretty good read on the market. I was one who said when the Nats came to town, thats it for the Orioles, I am going to be a Nats fan now. But ya know what, you just cannot give up rooting for a team that easy. I have been rooting for the O's since 88 when I moved here.

So while I still root for the Nats, I also root for the O's. I think that has happened to a lot of folks here. In terms if TV ratings, I cannot explain why so low, unless most people here are like me and would rather watch paint dry than watch regular season baseball on TV. Not sure if that article siad what the radio ratings were, I imagine those are better. But to go back to my earlier point, when I am on the proch in the summer, I often have a game on the radio as I am reading, and I find myself listening to more O's games than Nats games. Two years ago I would have siad no way that would happen

I'm in on a full-season ticket plan here and, like typical Washington, excuses are like "I can't find the channel they're on...blah, blah, blah."

The main reason nobody watches is that they stink. Pure and simple. They've got more than a dozen players on the DL. The only young "star" they have, Ryan Zimmerman, has been on the shelf since Memorial Day.

Only 25 percent of the games are in HD...yes, this is 2008, and I'd rather watch the Royals-Rangers in HD than Nats and Phils in SD.

This market is too wealthy for anyone to get worried. The team will get better...someday, and people will tune in. Until then, we're watching "Ugly Betty" reruns here.

Why isn't this thread on the Baseball board? <_<

the nats have been a team for less than 5 years, right?? in a market that has an affinity for a team less than an hour away? you mean it hasnt been an overnight success??? gasp.....<ding> whoops hop pocket is done.....gotta run...give em time to build a following...imagine how we bills fans would react if there was a new nfl team placed in rochester

the nats have been a team for less than 5 years, right?? in a market that has an affinity for a team less than an hour away? you mean it hasnt been an overnight success??? gasp.....<ding> whoops hop pocket is done.....gotta run...give em time to build a following...imagine how we bills fans would react if there was a new nfl team placed in rochester

Yeah, remember how long it took the Ravens to break into that market.

I must preface this by saying I live in Richmond now, but still in DC twice a week and think I have a pretty good read on the market. I was one who said when the Nats came to town, thats it for the Orioles, I am going to be a Nats fan now. But ya know what, you just cannot give up rooting for a team that easy. I have been rooting for the O's since 88 when I moved here.

So while I still root for the Nats, I also root for the O's. I think that has happened to a lot of folks here. In terms if TV ratings, I cannot explain why so low, unless most people here are like me and would rather watch paint dry than watch regular season baseball on TV. Not sure if that article siad what the radio ratings were, I imagine those are better. But to go back to my earlier point, when I am on the proch in the summer, I often have a game on the radio as I am reading, and I find myself listening to more O's games than Nats games. Two years ago I would have siad no way that would happen

Yep - the radio ratings would be interesting. I agree about BB on radio...I think the games lends itself well. Also agree about tv BB.

Baseball fans in the area have likely been longtime fans of the Orioles, a well-established franchise whose games appear on the same network. That has to have some effect. If the Expos moved to Providence, RI and their games were carried by NESN, I'm not sure too many people would've converted from being Red Sox fans, especially if the team was still trotting out the same Triple-A talent they had in Montreal.

DC is the kind of town where as soon as the Nats are good, it will be the thing to do, and the place to be seen, and ratings will be great.

For the record, I wouldn't waste 5 seconds watching Washington this season, much less 3 hours. Pathetic.

Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Marquis Grissom, Delino DeShields, Moises Alou, Gary Carter, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker.....

What a sickening list of scrubs.

Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Marquis Grissom, Delino DeShields, Moises Alou, Gary Carter, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker.....

What a sickening list of scrubs.

I gave up on baseball long ago, but I do remember Dawson had one helluva career with the Cubs, Carter with the Mets, Walker with the Rockies, and Johnson with a couple teams other than the Expos

I live in DC, actually only about a mile and a half from the new stadium.

there are major TV station issues because of the Orioles owner - I don't really know or care about the specifics. The channel they're on is lousy, looks almost grainy. Also, obviously, the team is not good.

People like the Nats though - they just aren't going to waste 3 hours watching them lose on television. The way to watch them lose is to go to their gorgeous new stadium and enjoy the awesome concessions.

I gave up on baseball long ago, but I do remember Dawson had one helluva career with the Cubs, Carter with the Mets, Walker with the Rockies, and Johnson with a couple teams other than the Expos

Yeah. They were like the Clippers of MLB, in that they didn't want to pay anyone to stay, so when guys got really good, they left Montreal and many were glad to "escape".

I live in DC, actually only about a mile and a half from the new stadium.

there are major TV station issues because of the Orioles owner - I don't really know or care about the specifics. The channel they're on is lousy, looks almost grainy. Also, obviously, the team is not good.

People like the Nats though - they just aren't going to waste 3 hours watching them lose on television. The way to watch them lose is to go to their gorgeous new stadium and enjoy the awesome concessions.

FWIW, I heard on the radio this morning that they have 15 players on IR.

The main reason nobody watches is that they stink. Pure and simple. They've got more than a dozen players on the DL. The only young "star" they have, Ryan Zimmerman, has been on the shelf since Memorial Day.

I know what you mean. It's tough to stay interested in a long season when you're out of playoff contention by Memorial Day. Same thing is going on here in Cleveland not that we're all but officially eliminated from playoff contention. I haven't watched a full game on TV in a few weeks, and last night we went to our first game in months. No one wants to waste money watching a losing team full of AAA players.