My Time Warner Bill - Does anyone use DirectTv for TV

Here is my exact Time Warner Bill... This is with ONE digital box, and only two TVs total, the other gets just very basic cable -- just the coax going into the TV. I get no premium chanels like HBO, etc.

I'm thinking of switching to DirectTV but if I'm not going to save much (with DirectTV for my TV and Time Warner for just the Internet), its not worth it for two bills. I like Time Warner for Internet. I don't think I can get FIOS where I live.

Let me know how badly I'm getting ripped off.

-----------------------------------------------------

Monthly Services:

Surf + View .................... $89.95

Broadcast Tier, Cable Tier, Digital Tier, Road Runner

Digital Equipment ............ $7.33

Digital Converter, Digital Remote

HD DVR Converter ........... $7.09

DVR Service Charge ........ $6.95

1 AO Box Charge 2.00 ..... $2.00

Modem ........................... $3.00

1 Add'l Remote @ .24 ...... $0.24

Taxes and Fees:

Cable Franchise Fee ........ $4.48

Cable PSC Fee ................ $0.08

Cable FCC Fee ................ $0.07

Total Amount Due ........... $121.19

WOW.

I can not believe they charge you for a remote???? What the hell?? Get a pronto and send there 24 cent pos back at their asses.

Then they charge you twice for the DVR and charge you for what you record??

Directv: Two tv's one HDDVR

Total Choice: 54.99

HBO, SHO & Sports: 35.00

HD: 9.99

Extra HD: 4.99

MLB: 42.25/4 pymts.

MLBHD: 12.50/4 pymts.

Extra Receiver: 4.99

Leased Receivers: 9.98

Total w/Tax: 174. 69

WOW.

I can not believe they charge you for a remote???? What the hell?? Get a pronto and send there 24 cent pos back at their asses.

HAHA. That's the beauty thing and one of the reasons I posted this today. I know it's less than a quarter, but it lists it as an "additional" remote. I only have ONE.

It's a little high, but not totally out of whack. Call them up and tell them you are switching if they don't cut you a break.

Where's a good attack point? Should I argue the overall Bill or ask them to take the "fees" and AO Box charge and shove em? That would save $6.50 a month :unsure: But I don't know if those fees are negotiable.

Here is my exact Time Warner Bill... This is with ONE digital box, and only two TVs total, the other gets just very basic cable -- just the coax going into the TV. I get no premium chanels like HBO, etc.

I'm thinking of switching to DirectTV but if I'm not going to save much (with DirectTV for my TV and Time Warner for just the Internet), its not worth it for two bills. I like Time Warner for Internet. I don't think I can get FIOS where I live.

Monthly Services:

Taxes and Fees:

My advice to you is to skip the dish because you will not save either way switching...just more headaches. If you are looking to save money try and avoid the DVR thing....not necessary. Not sure if you have an HD tv or not but if you do have an HD set then just a basic HD converter box and turn down the DVR charge which I find unnecessary IMHO...just another way TW can soak ya IMHO....save 6.95 month at least. Then go to radio shack and buy a ethernet cable modem for $40 and use that to hook into your road runner ans skip the 3.00 monthly rental on your modem.....after 13 months of rental the rest will just be pure profit for TW because after 13 months you will be paying more for the modem than the one you bought outright. Get rid of the extra remote too for your coax tv's....use the one you got for the TV. This should save you money....remember cable is a luxury....

Where's a good attack point? Should I argue the overall Bill or ask them to take the "fees" and AO Box charge and shove em? That would save $6.50 a month :lol: But I don't know if those fees are negotiable.

EVERYTHING is negotiable. You can negotiate with the sales guy down at CompUSA if you want (I've done it). The best part is that since most people in the country don't believe in or know how to barter, it makes it easier for people like me who do. :lol:

That said, I do have Comcast for my broadband and DirecTV for television. I pay $59 for broadband (would be $65 if I didn't subscribe to "lifeline cable" - basically all the locals and public access; because I pay $8/month for that, they cut $15/month off my bill, go figure...).

I pay about $80/month for DirecTV - which includes three DVRs and HD service. Of course I generally get a month or two free per year by calling and asking for discounts (see the negotiable paragraph), so that cuts it way down.

Cable, on the other hand, never negotiated with me. I've told my story many times here before, but when I had to spend (literally) over 100 hours on the phone trying to get them to setup my broadband properly for a month, then asked for a discount/refund, I was told "We don't do that, but we won't charge you for the month you didn't have service." :unsure::lol: Ummm, ok...

Where's a good attack point? Should I argue the overall Bill or ask them to take the "fees" and AO Box charge and shove em? That would save $6.50 a month :unsure: But I don't know if those fees are negotiable.

I'd say overall rate. They'll probably also try to get you to add phone service at a discount. (That's what I do -- pay about $150 for the bundle).

EVERYTHING is negotiable. You can negotiate with the sales guy down at CompUSA if you want (I've done it). The best part is that since most people in the country don't believe in or know how to barter, it makes it easier for people like me who do. :unsure:

Oh, I'm the same way. Verizon Wireless is my B word :lol:

I wanted the LG Dare, my new phone (which I'm in LOVE with by the way). My "new every two" wasn't up for 4.5 months. The retail is $409.99. I called and told them I was thinking of canceling after the 4.5 months and going to At&T for the new iPhone (total BS of course). That got me to the 'new every two' price of $249.99, plus $50 mail in rebate. I told them I didn't like rebates. A call to the supervisor, and $50 down. Now, I wanted free shipping. I told them my current phone couldn't hold a charge which is why I called in the first place and I should have to pay to have a new phone shipped. (It holds a charge just fine). Free overnight shipping. FINALLY, I asked if the fact that I worked for GEICO, one of their "partners" would do anything as I know I get discounts for hardware. 18% more off. I paid $177 with tax when all was said and done. Now, that was after 6 (SIX) phone calls to Verizon with 2 supervisor conversations. The rule with them? Know that no two CSRs have the same knowledge base and if you are willing to put the time in, you will get pretty much whatever you want.

That said, I didn't know what part of a cable bill is legitimately something I HAVE to pay.

Actually go through the cancellation process, though... the sales nerd you'll talk to can't do a whole hell of a lot. I cancelled DTV in favor of Dish a while back because I was raging mad at DTV. They did *nothing* to stop me from leaving. Once I called and put in the cancel order, they transfered me to the "retention group" or some such...

They threw in a free HDDVR, a standard DVR for the bedroom, and about a year's worth of ALL premium stations that automatically cancelled UNLESS I CALLED and *told* them I wanted to keep them. All for about the same price I was paying for non-HD stations.

Actually go through the cancellation process, though... the sales nerd you'll talk to can't do a whole hell of a lot. I cancelled DTV in favor of Dish a while back because I was raging mad at DTV. They did *nothing* to stop me from leaving. Once I called and put in the cancel order, they transfered me to the "retention group" or some such...

They threw in a free HDDVR, a standard DVR for the bedroom, and about a year's worth of ALL premium stations that automatically cancelled UNLESS I CALLED and *told* them I wanted to keep them. All for about the same price I was paying for non-HD stations.

You don't have to go through the cancellation process. Just tell the front line people you want to talk to "customer retention." Some of the front-line people get snotty and say "They can't help you," but they always do.

As for which fees you "HAVE" to pay -- NONE OF THEM! Just gotta get the right CSR, like you said Steve.

Monthly Services:

Taxes and Fees:

Wow, I get every movie channel there is, DVR, 4 tv's and pay 124.00 a month. I use DSL for the internet though.

Just wait until TWC starts to meter your internet connection....I'm in Cheektowaga and won't see FIOS for at least another year or two.