Duke Scumminess Revealed Again

plenzmd1

Must preface by saying not that big an NBA fan, but follow on the periphery and am a wizards fan at heart. Anyway, it seems Elton Brand is now going to sign with the Sixers after both he and his agent, David Falk(ultimate scumbag) said he was opting out of his contract, but if the Clippers showed a commitment by signing someone, he was staying a Clipper. So the Clippers go out and sign Baron Davis, who only signed there cause Brand said he was staying( this one to Baron himself, not through the media), and now looks like Brand is taking a walk.

Carlos Boozer did something very similar a few years back to the Cavs. Had a handshake agreement with the Cavs to stay, they let him opt out(or something like that) based on his word and handshake, then he bolted to Salt Lake for money. Not up on the NBA rules, but the only reason the Cavs let him go free was they could pay him more money that way, and he AGREED to the new deal with his word.

Now, in full disclosure, I am a TERP fan, but this kind of behavior just proves my point bout then Dukies. Fug em, and never, ever, ever trust em!!!!!

Must preface by saying not that big an NBA fan, but follow on the periphery and am a wizards fan at heart. Anyway, it seems Elton Brand is now going to sign with the Sixers after both he and his agent, David Falk(ultimate scumbag) said he was opting out of his contract, but if the Clippers showed a commitment by signing someone, he was staying a Clipper. So the Clippers go out and sign Baron Davis, who only signed there cause Brand said he was staying( this one to Baron himself, not through the media), and now looks like Brand is taking a walk.

Carlos Boozer did something very similar a few years back to the Cavs. Had a handshake agreement with the Cavs to stay, they let him opt out(or something like that) based on his word and handshake, then he bolted to Salt Lake for money. Not up on the NBA rules, but the only reason the Cavs let him go free was they could pay him more money that way, and he AGREED to the new deal with his word.

Now, in full disclosure, I am a TERP fan, but this kind of behavior just proves my point bout then Dukies. Fug em, and never, ever, ever trust em!!!!!

Boozer committed to not opting out of his contract so that the Cavs could clear a little cap space, and then the Cavs promised to give him big bucks after the next season. It was a handshake both ways...Then Boozer opted out anyways and took big bucks with the Jazz. Kind of a scumbag move, especially after the Cavs had their first good season in a while and LeBron and Boozer seemed to be the future of something promising. Of course, on the flip side, there were also no guarantees that the Cavs would've honored their handshake if Boozer ripped up his knee 10 games into the next season. So I guess you just chalk it up to business.

If I was Elton Brand, I can't say I'd be that excited about the 46 games that Baron Davis will be healthy for next season, not that Philly has much to be excited about either. It's too bad for the Clip that Shaun Livingston had that devastating leg/knee injury (I'm sure it's on youtube if you haven't seen it, but it's not for the weary.) He was a smooth, big point guard who was really coming into his own before the injury at the end of the 06-07 season. He missed all of 07-08 and no one really knows how he'll be this year.

Substitute Brady for Brand and Patriots for Duke and you've got the flavor of sour grapes we usually get around here. Thanks for the change up,

Did Duke illegally videotape? :unsure:

I probably wouldn't be too happy with Brand if I was a Clippers fan. Of course, I also won't pretend to know the behind-the-scenes details that swayed his decision either. If it was just straight up cash, then it is a kind of backhanded move on his part. Who knows...

As a Sixers fan, absolutely thrilled. If that leg holds up, this team has just opened up a window for a serious run at the Finals over the next few seasons. We finally have a post player for the first time since....ummm. Brand also gives us a #1 scorer so Iguodala doesn't have to be that guy (which he truly isn't). Hopefully Miller has a few good years left in him. But Thad is going to be getting better every game and Lou Williams is so close to becoming a Monta Ellis type breakout player.

Andre Miller, Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Elton Brand, Sammy Dalembert....plus Lou Williams, Reggie Evans, Willie Green. Then throw in Jason Smith and Maurese Speights in a few years. DAAMN. This team is young and deep. Hopefully Garnett's back gives out next year and LeBron stays in Cleveland purgatory for a few more seasons. :unsure:

And to think where this team was 18 months ago... :lol:

Paul, I only need to correct one thing with your post -- the appropriate spelling is Dook. I don't know whether or not this may ease your feelings of disdain for Brand, but I've heard he does not go back to Durham for events because of a very cool relationship with K. That made me chuckle.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I'm rooting for the US team at the Olympics.

Here's to the Terps and Heels going 4-0 against the Dookies next Spring.

Paul, I only need to correct one thing with your post -- the appropriate spelling is Dook. I don't know whether or not this may ease your feelings of disdain for Brand, but I've heard he does not go back to Durham for events because of a very cool relationship with K. That made me chuckle.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I'm rooting for the US team at the Olympics.

Root for your country. Who cares about a stupid sports rivalry.

Fug em, thats all i got to say :unsure:

Substitute Brady for Brand and Patriots for Duke and you've got the flavor of sour grapes we usually get around here. Thanks for the change up,

True dat, we all have those teams we hate, and I might just hate Dook more then the Patriots. They might actually be more smug and expectant of favorable calls than the Patriots, if that can be possible :lol::lol:

Also, not to defend the Dookie, cause I hate them too....But another fellow Dookie for the LAC, Maggette, is likely moving elsewhere for big bucks. It's hard to blame Brand for leaving when he watches them lose one of their major athletic components in exchange for an expensive, aging, injury-prone vet.

Plus, getting into the East, where the Celts are the team to beat (at least for 1 more year) I would say Philly has a better chance to make the playoffs (and potentially advance) than the Clippers do in the West. Detroit will still be a factor but they are looking more worn down every year, and the Cavs could've really used a guy like Brand, but they are trying to save space to at least make an offer to LeBron with the BIG cash

FWIW, I watched Brand's press conference on local TV here. His side of the story was as follows:

- when he opted out, his initial intention was to return to the Clips

- he received an offer from the team and was told that their coach/GM (Mike Dunleavy) had really gone to bat for him to get him a big offer. he was then also told that the owner (Donald Sterling) was not very comfortable with giving that size of an offer and he would be just as happy if Brand turned it down than if he accepted. the offer was take it or leave it. (it was later reported that the offer was 5 yr/70 million as opposed to the Sixers 5 yrs/82 million).

- Brand said he felt unwanted by Sterling's seemingly lukewarm attitude about him returning or not. he felt he wanted to go where he was wanted

- he said Golden State then offered him more than the Sixers, but the Sixers offered the most they possibly could and that made him feel like they wanted him the most

- he never had any kind of "handshake deal" with Baron Davis about staying with the Clips. In fact, he said he was in contact with BD throughout the process and Davis told him to "go take care of himself and get that money." He said that's what Baron did when he left Golden State and thats what he told him to do with Philly. Said there are no bad feelings at all.

So take all that as you will...just thought I'd throw out the other side of the story.

Ohhh...a Chapel Hill Community College grad...how cute. Now please, I am sorry to tell you this again, but I wanted pepperoni on that, please get me another.

Terps...they still play basketball up there? I wouldn't know from the past few seasons.

D'oh I thought this was about another Duke rape or something. I'm glad it isn't :lol:

That said, the NBA isn't as fun to watch as college, IMO. The cash paid to these players is just ridiculous, and I think that contributes the lack of watchability of the NBA`

Ohhh...a Chapel Hill Community College grad...how cute. Now please, I am sorry to tell you this again, but I wanted pepperoni on that, please get me another.

Good one, man...because everybody knows Carolina is a crappy school. <_<

Try harder next time.

Root for your country. Who cares about a stupid sports rivalry.

I do. It means more to me than a stupid once-every-four-years exhibition of spoiled pros, and has NOTHING to do with whether or not I love my country.

I see your point. You're mad about Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonnie Baxter, and all of the other TERPS who've amounted to nothing in the NBA :blink: . Hey, Maggette just left the Clippers for the Warriors. Go ahead, hate on him too. :blink:

I see your point. You're mad about Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonnie Baxter, and all of the other TERPS who've amounted to nothing in the NBA :lol: . Hey, Maggette just left the Clippers for the Warriors. Go ahead, hate on him too. :devil:

LOL, Lonnie tried to be an original gangster or something didn't he? I really thought Juan would make on the NBA, not even sure if he is still on a roster. But your right, MD players sure have not translated well to the next level. But as I said, no worries, don't like the NBA all that much anyway.

But I will take that over over bad character players ala Dook everyday :w00t: !! ;):thumbsup: