Brett Favre a Bill?

Frez

Looks like Favre will return. Could you imagine if the Packers didn't want him and he signed with divisional opponent Minnesota? The Vikings have all the pieces in place for a Super Bowl run except QB.

I could be wrong, but don't the Pack 'own' Favre for the next two seasons?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but don't the Pack 'own' Favre for the next two seasons?

They do but the problem they are having is that his contract is for like 12 or 13 mill per season. They obviously did not budget for that & I do not think they want that kinda cap hit or to payout that kind of coin to him. If he does comeback, Pack are in a tough spot. Do they trade him, where they would probably get maybe a 4th rounder for him, & that way at least you could make sure he stays out of the conference/division, or do you outright release him or do they let him comeback, in by doing so knowing that they will probably do irreversable damage to the relationship they have with Rogers. Tough call.

They do but the problem they are having is that his contract is for like 12 or 13 mill per season. They obviously did not budget for that & I do not think they want that kinda cap hit or to payout that kind of coin to him. If he does comeback, Pack are in a tough spot. Do they trade him, where they would probably get maybe a 4th rounder for him, & that way at least you could make sure he stays out of the conference/division, or do you outright release him or do they let him comeback, in by doing so knowing that they will probably do irreversable damage to the relationship they have with Rogers. Tough call.

Any smart team would deal for Favre, then immediately ship him off to Chicago or Minnesota with a bonus pick as compensation for brokering the deal.

I don't get the concern with Rodgers. Its about 10xs more likely that Rodgers becomes Todd Collins Part II, rather than the second coming of Steve Young. Let Favre come back (he was great last year), take your SB shot (Favre gives the Pack the best shot at the SB in 09) and tell young Aaron that if he accomplishes what Favre did, then he'll have the right to come and go as he pleases. I think the cowtowing to Aaron's "feelings" is BS.

Bottom line is that the Packers are a better team in 09 with Favre than with Rodgers.

We does everyone assume Favre would be better than Edwards? Because he used to be good? And he's so good now the Packers don't want him back?

PTR

Because people watched football last year and watched a team even younger then Buffalo, get led by an "over the Hill" Favre deep into the playoffs and almost to the SB.

I've been saying Favre should retire for a long time now, and still think he should just to say he stepped out on top. But if he comes back and decides he would want to play in Buffalo, I say get his #4 ready to go and lets get the season started. I don't care how Edwards played last year "for a rookie" or what he might be able to do in the future. Just the veteran leadership he could provide at that position would be an upgrade and could help them intot he playoffs. Even just having Favre there to mentor Trent can't make this a bad thing.

But I have a feeling that Favre is the kind of guy thats only going to come back to the Packers, or he won't come back at all, I just don't see him actually wearing another teams jersey.

We does everyone assume Favre would be better than Edwards? Because he used to be good? And he's so good now the Packers don't want him back?

PTR

Favre had one of his best seasons last year. If he comes back to the leauge, he is automatically one of the best 5 or 6 QB's in the leauge. Judging on last season, Favre is not past his prime, which people seem to be inferring.

The Packers don't want him, because his act has worn thin with them (will he or won't he?), and they have been gearing up for "life without Brett" for the last three years. Favre is still a very, very good NFL QB. But, his indecisiveness has put the team sort of in limbo. They know he won't be there long, if at all, and they have to start thinking about life without him. They are not likely to find another QB like him. They have already spent their off-season modifying their offense for Rogers, now, Favre is putting them in the predicament of stepping backward, and going back to "Favre ball." But make no mistake, with Favre, the Packers are an almost certain lock to be a playoff team...without him? Who knows? The Broncos kind of tried to pressure Elway before he was sure he was done, and look where it got them. And Elway wasn't playing anywhere near his best football, like Favre did this past season.

Because he used to be good?

He was outstanding last year. Look, I think TE has a bright future, I really do, but Favre could step right in and give us that swagger of a champion. From his physical abilities to his mental toughness, he'd be an instant upgrade. I believe we could be a force the next 2 years with him leading the way.

Favre had one of his best seasons last year. If he comes back to the leauge, he is automatically one of the best 5 or 6 QB's in the leauge. Judging on last season, Favre is not past his prime, which people seem to be inferring.

The Packers don't want him, because his act has worn thin with them (will he or won't he?), and they have been gearing up for "life without Brett" for the last three years. Favre is still a very, very good NFL QB. But, his indecisiveness has put the team sort of in limbo. They know he won't be there long, if at all, and they have to start thinking about life without him. They are not likely to find another QB like him. They have already spent their off-season modifying their offense for Rogers, now, Favre is putting them in the predicament of stepping backward, and going back to "Favre ball." But make no mistake, with Favre, the Packers are an almost certain lock to be a playoff team...without him? Who knows? The Broncos kind of tried to pressure Elway before he was sure he was done, and look where it got them. And Elway wasn't playing anywhere near his best football, like Favre did this past season.

Bingo. You could argue that you want to stay the course and not delay the growth of TE, but lets face it, it's about the here and now. If you don't think BF makes us much better you're only kidding yourself.

To me, if we stay the course, we're a playoff entrant next year. Trade for BF and I think you're a lock this year and next with a QB who can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Brady and Manning. A QB, who if you're D can make that all important stop or two in the critical moment, can march you down the field on his shoulders and will us to a playoff win.

Is this crazy? Maybe it is. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

The Broncos kind of tried to pressure Elway before he was sure he was done, and look where it got them. And Elway wasn't playing anywhere near his best football, like Favre did this past season.

What does this mean? The Broncos won 2 Super Bowls in Elway's last two seasons, then Elway announced his retirement because he said his body couldn't take another season.

Are you saying the Broncos pressured Elway, who by his own admission couldn't handle another season? Or are you saying that they were pressuring him before those 2 Super Bowl championship seasons and by not listening to them Elway proved them wrong? Please elaborate and show some factual data to back up the statement.

Because people watched football last year and watched a team even younger then Buffalo, get led by an "over the Hill" Favre deep into the playoffs and almost to the SB.

I've been saying Favre should retire for a long time now, and still think he should just to say he stepped out on top. But if he comes back and decides he would want to play in Buffalo, I say get his #4 ready to go and lets get the season started. I don't care how Edwards played last year "for a rookie" or what he might be able to do in the future. Just the veteran leadership he could provide at that position would be an upgrade and could help them intot he playoffs. Even just having Favre there to mentor Trent can't make this a bad thing.

But I have a feeling that Favre is the kind of guy thats only going to come back to the Packers, or he won't come back at all, I just don't see him actually wearing another teams jersey.

He was outstanding last year. Look, I think TE has a bright future, I really do, but Favre could step right in and give us that swagger of a champion. From his physical abilities to his mental toughness, he'd be an instant upgrade. I believe we could be a force the next 2 years with him leading the way.

I'm always nervous when people assume a player at the end of his career is just going to keep being great. Yes he could lead us to the Super Bowl. He could also be terrible. The question is how likely is one over the other? If you bring in Favre you better pray the guy still has it because you are flushing your young QB down the hole.

PTR

I'm always nervous when people assume a player at the end of his career is just going to keep being great. Yes he could lead us to the Super Bowl. He could also be terrible. The question is how likely is one over the other? If you bring in Favre you better pray the guy still has it because you are flushing your young QB down the hole.

PTR

Maybe, but if you were gambling, wouldn't you put your money on the guy who has done it, over the guy who might be able to do it? I think the truth with Favre is, his skills have not diminished all that much over the last five years. What did diminish, was the team and talent around him. If the Packers had any chance of going any where the last few years, it was going to be on Favres' arm. Last season, when the talent on the team, and the coaching staff adapted, they put together a fine season.

PTR

PTR, I understand your stance. I also understand the risk of "losing" TE. BF's play last year, arguably the best of his career, was nothing short of great. Do we run the risk of him falling off so far that it's a colossal mistake? I don't pretend to know that, but the fall would be mighty steep. Too steep for it to happen overnight, IMO.

Here it is for me. He's got a lot of Jim Kelly in him and he WANTS to play. He is exactly what this team needs. A proven leader and winner. Someone to show the youngin's how to get it done.

We're close. I want to see us win a championship. He just might be our ticket. I'd do it. Too bad it won't happen for one reason or another.

What does this mean? The Broncos won 2 Super Bowls in Elway's last two seasons, then Elway announced his retirement because he said his body couldn't take another season.

Are you saying the Broncos pressured Elway, who by his own admission couldn't handle another season? Or are you saying that they were pressuring him before those 2 Super Bowl championship seasons and by not listening to them Elway proved them wrong? Please elaborate and show some factual data to back up the statement.

I don't have any factual information to back it up, because a players' desire is not something you can track with stats. I am sort of a closet Broncos fan, so I have always followed the comings and goings of the team. I remember, distinctly, the same rumours about Elway making the rounds, after he retired. He wasn't 100% certain he wanted to reite, when it came down to actaully retiring, but Shanahan was already pushing him out the door. Shortly after he retired, Elway was rumoured to be telling people close to him, that he thought he could still play, and might want to. It never happened...the Broncos weren't clamoring for him to come back. In fairness to the team though, Elways' play was noticeibly declining. I think that Shanahan and Bowlin genuinely liked Elway, and kind of knew his time was up, even if Elway didn't see it that way. Jocks normally have a hard time coping with that issue.

I am not saying that Elway was forced to retire, but, once he said he was leaning toward retiring after that second Super Bowl win, the Broncos (Shananha in particular) was anxious to move on. In Elways case, unlike Favre IMO, his play had declined quite a bit, and you could tell, just by watching him, he played with a lot of pain. If you don't believe me, email Mark Schlereth some time at ESPN. Remember, he was a teammate, and close friend of Elway. He referenced Elways' wishy-washiness about retiring back when Favre had his retirement press conference, and again, yesterday on NFL Live. Another difference, Elway wasn't insinuating, every off season, that this coming season might be his last.

A big part of the Elway thing, IMO, was Shanahan, and his ego. By the time that team had won those Super Bowls, they had morphed into a running team first, and a passing team second. Folllowing the Broncos, you become aware that Shanahan doesn't really value players as much as he does schemes. And, to a degree, he has been successful with this approach. We all marvel, every season, how it doens't seem to matter who the Broncos featured running back is, the are a shoe-in for a good, productive season. I think Shanahan tried to take the same approach with his QB's. To him, there wasn't much difference between Bubby Brister, and a 37 year old John Elway.

I don't have any factual information to back it up, because a players' desire is not something you can track with stats. I am sort of a closet Broncos fan, so I have always followed the comings and goings of the team. I remember, distinctly, the same rumours about Elway making the rounds, after he retired. He wasn't 100% certain he wanted to reite, when it came down to actaully retiring, but Shanahan was already pushing him out the door. Shortly after he retired, Elway was rumoured to be telling people close to him, that he thought he could still play, and might want to. It never happened...the Broncos weren't clamoring for him to come back. In fairness to the team though, Elways' play was noticeibly declining. I think that Shanahan and Bowlin genuinely liked Elway, and kind of knew his time was up, even if Elway didn't see it that way. Jocks normally have a hard time coping with that issue.

I am not saying that Elway was forced to retire, but, once he said he was leaning toward retiring after that second Super Bowl win, the Broncos (Shananha in particular) was anxious to move on. In Elways case, unlike Favre IMO, his play had declined quite a bit, and you could tell, just by watching him, he played with a lot of pain. If you don't believe me, email Mark Schlereth some time at ESPN. Remember, he was a teammate, and close friend of Elway. He referenced Elways' wishy-washiness about retiring back when Favre had his retirement press conference, and again, yesterday on NFL Live. Another difference, Elway wasn't insinuating, every off season, that this coming season might be his last.

A big part of the Elway thing, IMO, was Shanahan, and his ego. By the time that team had won those Super Bowls, they had morphed into a running team first, and a passing team second. Folllowing the Broncos, you become aware that Shanahan doesn't really value players as much as he does schemes. And, to a degree, he has been successful with this approach. We all marvel, every season, how it doens't seem to matter who the Broncos featured running back is, the are a shoe-in for a good, productive season. I think Shanahan tried to take the same approach with his QB's. To him, there wasn't much difference between Bubby Brister, and a 37 year old John Elway.

Thanks for clarifying.