Whitner's Guarantee

Whitner's guarantee seems to be an all too common cliche in sports anymore. Who doesn't make these guarantees anymore? Then they always qualify it with "if I didn't guarantee it I wouldn't be believin in myself, I wouldn't be a competitor, etc." I'm glad he thinks we'll be back in the playoffs this year and all, but it just seems like it doesn't have the shock value that it did was Namath did it.

On a side note... Cotton's gotta take a crap. Problem is... Ole' Cotton's at work. This has never really happened to Cotton before at work, any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do? Suffice it to say, Ole' Cotton works at a job where he mustn't lose face with those that work under him.

Whitner's guarantee seems to be an all too common cliche in sports anymore. Who doesn't make these guarantees anymore? Then they always qualify it with "if I didn't guarantee it I wouldn't be believin in myself, I wouldn't be a competitor, etc." I'm glad he thinks we'll be back in the playoffs this year and all, but it just seems like it doesn't have the shock value that it did was Namath did it.

On a side note... Cotton's gotta take a crap. Problem is... Ole' Cotton's at work. This has never really happened to Cotton before at work, any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do? Suffice it to say, Ole' Cotton works at a job where he mustn't lose face with those that work under him.

First of all stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person. You sound like an Ole' Tool. And who cares where you drop the hammer.

I can't wait for Jauron's enthusiastic and inspirational comment on what Whitner said when Dick is asked about it. Should be a good start for a nap.

Side note - Cotton must have been doing that, to miss the post on this very same subject 15 minutes or so ago. Right? :thumbsup:

To the contrary, Ole' Cotton participated in that thread. This one had a different direction to it... more analytical, trying to branch off into an overall analysis of guarantees in pro team sports in the modern era and how it's become cliche.

How many underlings do you have?

Guest dog14787
How many underlings do you have?

Now ESPN and just about everyone who dislikes the Bills is putting their two sense in about Whitners guarantee to make the playoffs.

Whitners guarantee will be backed up by his teamates and all the crap they will hear from it will just inspire the whole team to play harder.

I applaud Donte's guarantee. It's all a big, entertaining show anyway. If nothing else it got the Bills mentioned on various shows -- which is always nice for a change. I honestly think he believes it, and if he does, as a leader, I wouldn't expect him to bite his tongue. I would draw a parallel between this kind of thing and the statement that the Rays made when playing the Red Sox; it's like "here we are, and yes, we used to really suck, just letting you know however, we will no longer be the league's whipping boy, we're not the cubs, we don't want to be lovable losers, and if you don't believe us then we're going to kick you in the teeth to make sure you understand."

I think a hard-nosed player like Whitner, making the guarantee, is the first step in shedding our image as a cursed, happy to lose, football team. A change in attitude and culture is neccessary, and this is movement in the right direction.

Guest dog14787
I applaud Donte's guarantee. It's all a big, entertaining show anyway. If nothing else it got the Bills mentioned on various shows -- which is always nice for a change. I honestly think he believes it, and if he does, as a leader, I wouldn't expect him to bite his tongue. I would draw a parallel between this kind of thing and the statement that the Rays made when playing the Red Sox; it's like "here we are, and yes, we used to really suck, just letting you know however, we will no longer be the league's whipping boy, we're not the cubs, we don't want to be lovable losers, and if you don't believe us then we're going to kick you in the teeth to make sure you understand."

I think a hard-nosed player like Whitner, making the guarantee, is the first step in shedding our image as a cursed, happy to lose, football team. A change in attitude and culture is neccessary, and this is movement in the right direction.

Its time to get back to our upstate swagger :unsure:

FWIW, on NFL Live, they braught this up as their final, "isn't that cute" story...Schlereth and Golic both agreed, the Bills don't look to be a playoff team to them...Golic even gave the condescending "Donte, just let your play speak for you, and keep your mouth shut..."

Somebody needs to break it to Donte that the Bills have not been transferred to the NFC this season. It's possible an AFC team could win 10 games and not get in.

Let's assume the Pats get it done in the East. Therefore, the Bills are automatically playing for one of two Wild Cards. It's certainly not out of the question, but going at it with 12 other teams for 2 playoff spots isn't easy. It's made all the more difficult considering that they only have 7 home games, have road trips to fellow playoff hopefuls Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Denver, and they play Cleveland at home on national TV. The Bills in the playoffs means they CANNOT slip up in their winnable home games (Raiders, Jets, Browns, 49ers, & Miami in Toronto) are all MUSTS...And I think they have to get at least one, but maybe two, wins against the Seahawks, Chargers, and Pats (New England may be resting guys in week 17.) A .500 record on the road is pretty good in the NFL...So a minimum of 6-2, or possibly 7-1, will be required at home.

I didn't really know what to make of Whitner's comments. I suppose I like the confidence/leadership angle, but truthfully, it was hard not to laugh when I heard the guarantee. Besides Evans, they are still very young at their skill positions...Perhaps Donte would've been better off guaranteeing a top-5 defense or something like that.

Guest dog14787
Somebody needs to break it to Donte that the Bills have not been transferred to the NFC this season. It's possible an AFC team could win 10 games and not get in.

Let's assume the Pats get it done in the East. Therefore, the Bills are automatically playing for one of two Wild Cards. It's certainly not out of the question, but going at it with 12 other teams for 2 playoff spots isn't easy. It's made all the more difficult considering that they only have 7 home games, have road trips to fellow playoff hopefuls Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Denver, and they play Cleveland at home on national TV. The Bills in the playoffs means they CANNOT slip up in their winnable home games (Raiders, Jets, Browns, 49ers, & Miami in Toronto) are all MUSTS...And I think they have to get at least one, but maybe two, wins against the Seahawks, Chargers, and Pats (New England may be resting guys in week 17.) A .500 record on the road is pretty good in the NFL...So a minimum of 6-2, or possibly 7-1, will be required at home.

I didn't really know what to make of Whitner's comments. I suppose I like the confidence/leadership angle, but truthfully, it was hard not to laugh when I heard the guarantee. Besides Evans, they are still very young at their skill positions...Perhaps Donte would've been better off guaranteeing a top-5 defense or something like that.

O.K. , Lets assume the Buffalo Bills get it done in the East. We sweep the Pats and Trent Edwards and Co. set off to do what no team has ever done for Buffalo , win a Superbowl. :unsure:

Laugh all you want, lets see who's laughing at the end of the season. :lol:

I didn't really know what to make of Whitner's comments. I suppose I like the confidence/leadership angle, but truthfully, it was hard not to laugh when I heard the guarantee.

I agree with you 100%. My preference would have been for Donte to predict 1st quartile mediocrity for the team.

O.K. , Lets assume the Buffalo Bills get it done in the East. We sweep the Pats and Trent Edwards and Co. set off to do what no team has ever done for Buffalo , win a Superbowl. :unsure:

Laugh all you want, lets see who's laughing at the end of the season. :lol:

Hey man...The Bills had 7 wins last year. One blowout win vs. the Dolphins was the only real beatdown, and they handled the Bengals alright. Other than that, they played three squeakers against the Jets and Fins, and easily could've lost any one of those games to teams with a combined 5-27 record. They also beat the Redskins on a semi-miracle, after doing nothing for 59:30. They got 6 INT's and still lost to the Cowboys. They are, as they have been for the majority of the last decade, unproven at the most important position on the field (although they are far from alone in this category.)

If you want to assume the Bills get it done in the East, I applaud your optimism. I'm going to assume they're playing for a Wild Card, seeing as the Patriots are still largely intact and the Bills didn't even want to be on the same field as them last year. I do feel, with health and some nice performances by Edwards, Lynch, the D-line, and Poz, the Bills should be in 2nd place in the East and challenging (with many others) for a Wild Card playoff spot. But with one winning record in 7 seasons, I'm not going to start assuming division titles.

I wasn't knocking the Bills, I was merely trying to figure on the most realistic way they could make good on Whitner's comments. I listed the games that, at the moment, look like MUSTS. I don't think I was too out there. Notice Donte didn't guarantee 13-3 and a division title.

Guest dog14787
Hey man...The Bills had 7 wins last year. One blowout win vs. the Dolphins was the only real beatdown, and they handled the Bengals alright. Other than that, they played three squeakers against the Jets and Fins, and easily could've lost any one of those games to teams with a combined 5-27 record. They also beat the Redskins on a semi-miracle, after doing nothing for 59:30. They got 6 INT's and still lost to the Cowboys. They are, as they have been for the majority of the last decade, unproven at the most important position on the field (although they are far from alone in this category.)

If you want to assume the Bills get it done in the East, I applaud your optimism. I'm going to assume they're playing for a Wild Card, seeing as the Patriots are still largely intact and the Bills didn't even want to be on the same field as them last year. I do feel, with health and some nice performances by Edwards, Lynch, the D-line, and Poz, the Bills should be in 2nd place in the East and challenging (with many others) for a Wild Card playoff spot. But with one winning record in 7 seasons, I'm not going to start assuming division titles.

I wasn't knocking the Bills, I was merely trying to figure on the most realistic way they could make good on Whitner's comments. I listed the games that, at the moment, look like MUSTS. I don't think I was too out there. Notice Donte didn't guarantee 13-3 and a division title.

I'm sorry to hear you have zero confidence in the Buffalo Bills. :lol:

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs this year. Not only that, I expect them to split or sweep the Pats. :P

I'm sorry to hear you have zero confidence in the Buffalo Bills. :lol:

The Buffalo Bills will make the playoffs this year. Not only that, I expect them to split or sweep the Pats. :P

When the Bills get done with New England this year, Belichik will leave the field with his head hung singing to himself:

Trent sure throws a mean football!

Trent is a football wizard it's got to be a twist!

A football wizard has such a supple wrrriiiiiist...

Bottom line, ya heard it here first, Trent Edwards will make the Pro Bowl this year.