OT- HazMat Alert issued for Greater Cincinnati

10:55 PM Aug 19.

Any members living in the SW Ohio area should turn on the local ABC affiliate, WCPO, Channel 9. The Queen City Barrel plant has been engulfed with fire since about 7 PM. Queen City reconditions drums containg hazardous and non-hazardous residues and maintains sludge pits and so forth, and reconditions wood pallets. Explosions of capped drums are making it sound like a rendition of the 1821 Overture according to the news reporters. The county (Hamilton) has issued a "shelter-in-place" warning, telling folks to close windows, shut off A/C and stay on higher floors. A US EPA Emergency Response Team has been activated, along with the immediate area's CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)

The winds are in general, westerly, so affected communities are Lower Price Hill, Price Hill, Clifton, Norwood, West End, University Heights, Kenwood, and some of Blue Ash

Yikes--stay inside Stuck---other than the hazardous materials burning up and crapping out the air--it looked like a nice day in southwest Ohio...

382[/snapback]

Will do. I'm quite a bit away, and out ot the plume spread. I've had dealings with the company now and again. They have a storied past.

New pic. Click on "Full Story" for more.

http://www.wcpo.com/

This is bad...but I did find some humor in the following item on the timeline....

Update 9:04 p.m.: Fire Chief Robert Wright will be holding a news conference at the Wendy's on Guest Street soon.

I can see it now...

Chief Wright concluded his press conference by encouraging everyone to go with the spicy chicken combo for dinner....

This is Ima Newsbunny reporting from the scene--back to you in the studio Chet...

w00t w00t - i'm in Clifton about 3 miles north - I can see the smoke from my front porch.

I went to a friend's apartment up on Price Hill - was watching the fire from his balcony.

Too damned hot to turn off the a/c. I'd rather die than sweat. :devil:

Archived