Just wondering what you all think?

Lv-Bills

to judge our market value, and bring us up to par.

I was just wondering......and I know it's somewhat relative to where you live, but what do most of you consider a good household income for you and your spouse? All kinds of variables could go into this, but I just want to know what everyone here considers a good income for your household? One that you can live on, save some, and buy what you need without many worries.

Anyone wanna throw some numbers out there. This isn't a "what do you make" question. I'm just wondering what some of you think is a good household threshold.

Thanks!

No private sector employer does it to bring you UP pal

Well, that's not totally true.

If you and your coworkers have a highly marketable skill (perhaps you're super-talented Web developers that specialize in a hard to backfill position), I can see your employer making an investment in retaining talent.

Of course, this is only going to happen if they believe the cost of replacement (including recruiting, training, experience, working relationship) is greater than the cost of giving your group a salary adjustment and maintaining the cost-of-living changes over your expected employment term. I think that's four years in the computer world.

It's actually fairly common in the computer industry, especially with startups. Techies *still* take jobs on a lower salary with promise of profit sharing and stock wealth. Four or five years later, the firm does an adjustment when the 'top guys' are the lowest paid group.

As far as 'good', well, that's a hard question. It depends on your standard of living and whatnot. To some people, 'bad' is anything that cuts their ability to pay to have the yard landscaped, the pool cleaned, the kids raised, and the car driven. It's not a how much do you make question, but it's not one to easily answer in that it really shows your "social rank" when answering.

I've got the nuts to answer it. I wouldn't want a household income below 90k. As far as good? If we're talking NO worries... do whatever I want (minus goofy-rich stuff)... two kids in private school... 200k? 210k?

Could be all the well true, but I don't work in the private sector and in a week, my salary is going up 32% on October 1st. I couldn't be happier. So, in this case, it has worked big time for me, despite the economy going in the tank. I also did get a performance percentage of 10% that was built into that number.

So, in this case, it worked for me. Some of our same workers went up anywhere from 1% to 35% being the highest. However, 41% of our workforce received only the standard cost of living increase.

So, this one hit all over the place. Good for some, not as good for others.

Well, that's not totally true.

If you and your coworkers have a highly marketable skill (perhaps you're super-talented Web developers that specialize in a hard to backfill position), I can see your employer making an investment in retaining talent.

Of course, this is only going to happen if they believe the cost of replacement (including recruiting, training, experience, working relationship) is greater than the cost of giving your group a salary adjustment and maintaining the cost-of-living changes over your expected employment term. I think that's four years in the computer world.

It's actually fairly common in the computer industry, especially with startups. Techies *still* take jobs on a lower salary with promise of profit sharing and stock wealth. Four or five years later, the firm does an adjustment when the 'top guys' are the lowest paid group.

As far as 'good', well, that's a hard question. It depends on your standard of living and whatnot. To some people, 'bad' is anything that cuts their ability to pay to have the yard landscaped, the pool cleaned, the kids raised, and the car driven. It's not a how much do you make question, but it's not one to easily answer in that it really shows your "social rank" when answering.

I've got the nuts to answer it. I wouldn't want a household income below 90k. As far as good? If we're talking NO worries... do whatever I want (minus goofy-rich stuff)... two kids in private school... 200k? 210k?

I hear ya. This is what I was looking for....some numbers. I'm wondering what costs there are to put kids on private schooling and what kind of income is needed to still live normally without being broke in order to do so.

My boss has his kids in private school, and his kids are so far ahead of the curve it's not funny. And this includes socially, academically, and behavior wise. I want to also do that, at least until they get to high school.

THanks for the answer.

Sure they do, depending on the quality of the person and the job market for that skill set. We have tech employees who have averaged a 10% raise every six months for the past 2-3 years. Good people are always in demand; if you don't pay them market value, you end up spending the money anyway to replacement them.

i dont think they want to know what comparable household incomes are, i think they want to survey the market for your similar position and job functions, at least thats what they did for me, and i was pleased. and please...who cares what we all think is a good income, its all about you and how you want to maintain your lifestyle.....we should not be part of your equation, don't keep up with the jones'....keep up with the lv-bills

to judge our market value, and bring us up to par.

I was just wondering......and I know it's somewhat relative to where you live, but what do most of you consider a good household income for you and your spouse? All kinds of variables could go into this, but I just want to know what everyone here considers a good income for your household? One that you can live on, save some, and buy what you need without many worries.

Anyone wanna throw some numbers out there. This isn't a "what do you make" question. I'm just wondering what some of you think is a good household threshold.

Thanks!

i dont think they want to know what comparable household incomes are, i think they want to survey the market for your similar position and job functions, at least thats what they did for me, and i was pleased. and please...who cares what we all think is a good income, its all about you and how you want to maintain your lifestyle.....we should not be part of your equation, don't keep up with the jones'....keep up with the lv-bills

I never even remotely said that they want to know what comparable household incomes are. What in the world what that even matter?

I wanted to hear some opinions on what some people thought was a good household income because there are/were alot of people bitching during this survey saying they don't make enough money in their household to make ends meet. I think their gripe is kind of bogus.

That's what sucks about a salary survey.......you most likely are getting a raise, but almost everone is unhappy about it. It's kind of weird.

All in all, a family with one child making just south of 200,000, IMO, shouldn't be bitching. I'm pretty sure it's not all that bad living on just south of 200,000 per year. It's getting kind of old hearing it, so I wondered what others thought. And needless to say, this guy was one of lowest increases because the survey concluded he was already at market value.

Someone has begun to secretly place job applications for other places on his desk every day which enrages the dickhead even more! lol

I was just wondering is all.

i misunderstood, sorry,

I never even remotely said that they want to know what comparable household incomes are. What in the world what that even matter?

I wanted to hear some opinions on what some people thought was a good household income because there are/were alot of people bitching during this survey saying they don't make enough money in their household to make ends meet. I think their gripe is kind of bogus.

That's what sucks about a salary survey.......you most likely are getting a raise, but almost everone is unhappy about it. It's kind of weird.

All in all, a family with one child making just south of 200,000, IMO, shouldn't be bitching. I'm pretty sure it's not all that bad living on just south of 200,000 per year. It's getting kind of old hearing it, so I wondered what others thought. And needless to say, this guy was one of lowest increases because the survey concluded he was already at market value.

Someone has begun to secretly place job applications for other places on his desk every day which enrages the dickhead even more! lol

I was just wondering is all.

I hear ya. This is what I was looking for....some numbers. I'm wondering what costs there are to put kids on private schooling and what kind of income is needed to still live normally without being broke in order to do so.

My boss has his kids in private school, and his kids are so far ahead of the curve it's not funny. And this includes socially, academically, and behavior wise. I want to also do that, at least until they get to high school.

THanks for the answer.

It is the kid and the parents AT LEAST as much as a private school.

My daughter has five kids. She home schooled the first three, but now has them in public school (Victor NY). Granddaughter is going into 8th grade, is high honors (3.9 GPA) and is taking a three 9th grade subjects this fall

The other kids are dong very well too, "socially, academically, and behavior wise"!

My son-in-law is self-employed and they are barely touching lower middle class.

It's not money and private schools that make the difference. Just a thought.

It is the kid and the parents AT LEAST as much as a private school.

My daughter has five kids. She home schooled the first three, but now has them in public school (Victor NY). Granddaughter is going into 8th grade, is high honors (3.9 GPA) and is taking a three 9th grade subjects this fall

The other kids are dong very well too, "socially, academically, and behavior wise"!

My son-in-law is self-employed and they are barely touching lower middle class.

It's not money and private schools that make the difference. Just a thought.

I've wondered about that quite a bit now that I've got a couple McKids. Private schools are probably much better than your inner-city alternative, but how much better are they than say your average suburban system? Hamburg vs. St. Francis? Immaculata vs. Orchard Park? Are they given additional opportunities at private schools that they're not given at public places? Better teachers? Different curriculum?

Our company did it 4yrs ago. They had alot of talent jumping to other banks & they brought in a 3rd party consulting agency to see what the problem was. They determined 90% of the jumps were because of salary. I got a 15% raise in the middle of summer when my annual review is in february.

I've wondered about that quite a bit now that I've got a couple McKids. Private schools are probably much better than your inner-city alternative, but how much better are they than say your average suburban system? Hamburg vs. St. Francis? Immaculata vs. Orchard Park? Are they given additional opportunities at private schools that they're not given at public places? Better teachers? Different curriculum?

I will say this. My wife's little cousins (they are 8,9 & 11) are going to Private grammar school. We have not decided yet where to send our 4yr old(he is in preschool now). I asked her how are her cousins doing in Private school. She said alot of the parents are transferring them to the public schools because they offer so much more in the way of computer skills & such where the private schools just do not have the funding to compete. & before anybody says anything, I went to private school in Grammar school & high school so I was kinda leaning towards sending him there before I heard that.

Rock, just on a side note. I do not understand the reasoning behind home schooling your kids. Dont you want your kids to be around other kids as much as they can? My 2 friends our home schooling there kids & I just do not understand the advantages. I know I read a study where the home school kids learned 10% more then kids that went to regular school, but that 10% more that they learned is easily eclipsed by the social skills that they fail to get that imo are impossible to learn by being around your parents all the time.

Please do not take offense either. I just want to know what you think the advantages are of home schooling your kids?

I will say this. My wife's little cousins (they are 8,9 & 11) are going to Private grammar school. We have not decided yet where to send our 4yr old(he is in preschool now). I asked her how are her cousins doing in Private school. She said alot of the parents are transferring them to the public schools because they offer so much more in the way of computer skills & such where the private schools just do not have the funding to compete. & before anybody says anything, I went to private school in Grammar school & high school so I was kinda leaning towards sending him there before I heard that.

Rock, just on a side note. I do not understand the reasoning behind home schooling your kids. Dont you want your kids to be around other kids as much as they can? My 2 friends our home schooling there kids & I just do not understand the advantages. I know I read a study where the home school kids learned 10% more then kids that went to regular school, but that 10% more that they learned is easily eclipsed by the social skills that they fail to get that imo are impossible to learn by being around your parents all the time.

Please do not take offense either. I just want to know what you think the advantages are of home schooling your kids?

Wut privat skool did yer parentz send u 2? I think they mey haf overpaid.

Huge differences, IMHO. I went to Mt. St. Joseph for Grammar and Canisius for HS. I really could not have asked for a better education. When I went to college, it was like I was so far ahead of everyone else it made any academic adjustment very easy.

Better teachers, better curriculum, more well-rounded education...I can go on and on.

I fully plan to put my children in private schools, and we live in an area that has very good public schools.

To answer the original poster's question (given my NYC frame of reference), 400-500k, minimum. Here that buys you a decent house (no mansion), private school tuition, car payments, saving for college, saving for retirement, and a couple of vacations.

I really think it depends on the school and on the kid. Some private schools aren't much better than some of the public schools. Others are. I went to a private school and was much better prepared for some parts of college than a lot of people. Had a lot more homework, had classes with 12 people, great teachers (who made about 50% as much as their public school peers) and so on. If I had gone to public school I wouldn't have gotten into the best college I got into, but I would have probably gotten into the college I ended up going to. Like anything, it is what you make of it - I'm not sure what I'll do with my kids some day as far as schools.

My daughter home schooled HER kids. She belongs to a conservative church and was concerned about the negative influences, lack of respect and lack of personal accountability SOME kids had. It took her a few years to see the advantages of public schools and realize that a strong family support system was stronger than "isolationist" parenting. All I can say is it worked for her and I make no judgements.

Mine were all in public schools and came out just fine.

Back to my original point. I truly believe the success of a student is weighted on good students and supportive parents. The school and individual teachers can really enhance the chances they will be prepared for life too. I neither promote or condemn public or private schools.

You did not say anything I could take offense to - you just asked some questions. :thumbsup: