Upon further review, how our schedule

I think it's safe to say 10 wins will be required for AFC playoff teams. Therefore, IMO, we HAVE to beat the Pats* this year to play in January. Here's how our schedule looks to each opponent:

Seattle: Perrenial playoff team with Pro Bowl QB and a fabled coach beginning his last season there. Cross-country trek to open the season likely won't affect their performance and they're already past the 'Alexander Era'. If there's such a thing as a SHOCKER in the opening weekend, a Bills win would fit that premise.

@ Jax: Another playoff team with high expectations. We are their home opener, sandwiched between road games at division powers Tenn. & Indy. J-Ville is still smokin' hot in early Sept. and the Jags are loaded in all aspects. Week two is typically a 'shocker' weekend but this isn't a game Jax will 'look past'.

Oakland: We're the Raiders only non-division game in the first quarter, coming here following @KC and before San Diego at home. Likely their first real chance at a win, they'll throw caution to the wind for victory.

@St. Louis: The Rams play @ Seattle before welcoming us to their domed fast track and likely their best shot at victory in the first HALF of the season. Their schedule of @ Philly, G-Men, @ Seattle, Bills, @'Skins, Dallas and @ NE* is likely the most daunting in the league. Expect fireworks as they bye the following week. Our secondary will be busy while trying to keep Steven Jackson under ropes..

@Arizona The Cards will be battle tested with 3 road games by the time the Bills show up to play their first game at that awesome stadium. We'll be their 3rd AFC East team already and precede the Cowboys coming to town. They'll likely be in a QB shuffle by this time, but they have WEAPONS!! Good thing we stocked up on DB's eh, Bill in NYC?? Still blistering heat there in early Oct.

Open Date:

San Diego: Another powerhouse who likely won't be affected by a cross country trip, especially following a Sunday Nighter vs. the Pats*. They'll keep going east after Buffalo, all the way to London to play the Saints. Weapons and talent galore on this team make them an extremely difficult win for every team in the league. I hope we catch them nappin' on the first leg of their global trek..

@Miami With nowhere to go but up, the Fish welcome us after Baltimore and before @ Denver. We're their 3rd home game in 4 weeks in a stretch where they play 6 of 8 at home. :wallbash: Otherwise nothing unusual with this game and one we'll need to win and should.

NY Jets: The Jets should be on a bit of a roll by the time they make their annual visit to the Ralph. They will have played the Cards, Cincy, @ Oakland and home to the Chiefs just prior to their arrival. This is the critical game as I see it. The Jets may have a game in hand over us at this juncture but their schedule toughens up afterward while ours looks a little easier down the stretch. With all the great teams in the AFC, 3 playoff teams from the East is unlikely -so the winner here has an upper hand, IMO.

@ NE*: The Conference Champs welcome us after a Sunday Nighter @Indy and play the Jets 4 days later. When's the last time NE* lost 2 games in a row? If they get beat by 'the other Manning', we're toast. Especially if the 'wrinkles' haven't been worked out yet with defensive signal interference there... :o

Cleveland (MNF): Another WNY spotlight game should provide great theater again, but the Brownies will have had eleven days to prepare following a Thursday nighter hostng Denver. After us, they play Houson, Indy, @ Tenn and @ Philly. Like the Jets, the Browns are a team in our way and a loss here would be difficult to overcome in tie-breaks.

@KC: A short week and going on the road following MNF is daunting no matter who the opposition is. The Chiefs will likely be salivating for us after a 3 week stretch hosting Tampa Bay, @ the Chargers and home vs. the Saints. I don't remember the last time the Bills played well in KC and I don't have a good feeling here at all..

San Fransico: We're the start of a 3 week AFC East swing for the 9ers. Their schedule up to this game is incredibly strong -2 games w/ Seattle, NO, NE*, Philly,@G-Men and @ the 'Boys. Still, being the NFC they probably won't be mathmatically eliminated and we Easterners represent the easiest leg of their season, along w/ @ the Rams and the finale at home vs. the 'Skins. It's not a reach to think they could close out the season 5-0 with the Bills being the toughest game of the stretch. We'll get their best shot.

Home/@Toronto (Miami): Toronto, Singapore, London, wherever. If we don't beat the Felons' we don't belong in the playoffs. Buffalo will have the one preseason game experience on the foreign field and hopefully will learn a trick or two to pull on 'Tuna's conundrum' when they tee it off for real in Canada.

@NY Jets: Showdown in the swamp. Loser dies. The Jets return home after a cross country roadie @ San Fran and go back cross country to Seattle the following week. They're schedule is soft enough that they should be in the thick of playoff discussions but dropping 2 in a row to us and the Seahawks would probably sink them. Expect their best game in a couple years.

@Denver: We are their home finale sandwiched between roadies @ Carolina and season ender in San Diego. Their schedule is a tough one, facing the NFC South along with Jax and @ NE. They didn't impress me last year -even though we choked- and I don't think much of them this year. Still it will be Winter in Denver a mile high..

New England: The Pats* schedule is a cupcake -especially for an undefeated team. They should have their playoff position sewn up and this game would likely be meaningless to them except BB* hates to lose to anyone.

I think the Bills are capable of amassing 9 wins to this point. I know we haven't seen the changes the team has made perform yet, but there's every reason to believe we can expect to be competitive against all our competition. There may well be a 10 win team in the AFC who doesn't make the playoffs. NE* is in our heads - we don't believe we can beat them. That has to change this year and season finale will likely represent our best chance in years.

Disagree about Seattle. The Seahawks are 1-4 in their five most recent games on the East Coast. Shaun Alexander is gone; Steve Hutchinson is not there. In fact, three OL starters sidelined while recovering from surgery (LT Walter Jones, OC Spencer and RG Rob Sims).

Branch is five months into what is typically a nine-month rehabilitation, so won’t be there for the Bills game. Bobby Engram skipped minicamps and June camp for a contract extension. He caught a franchise-record 94 passes last year. Nate Burleson is okay when he runs the right route. Obomanu, Taylor, Kent and Payne have combined for a whopping 17 NFL catches.

Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett are not gonna get them NFC West title again.

Special teams coach Bruce DeHaven has no Josh Brown, has a shaky vet Olindo Mare, and rookie Brandon kicking, and Coutuu. Plackemeier may not be ready for our game at punter, last season's special teams captain and leading tackler Koutouvides left for Denver, and they have no confidence in Burleson as a returner.

Seahawks were horrid on the road last year: Lost 6, and they allowed 345.2 yards per game.

Win.

I'm now looking at JAX.

Marcedes Lewis, TE had knee surgery this offseason but may have his best year in 2008. Lewis snared 37 passes (391 yards, 2 TD). Lewis is coming off knee surgery, and may not be ready for Game 2. George Wrighster might not be ready for camp because of knee surgery. Greg Estandia is coming off shoulder surgery but should be ready for camp. Big Whoop.

Offensive line doesn't look as stable as it was a year ago--They released guard Chris Naeole, Tony Pashos is sub average. The blocking won’t be as good as in the past. They have the receivers and a decent QB, but they won't have time-- Stroud will be super motivated against his former team, and I say the defensive line and blitzing LB’s will have a field day, especially with Garrard having 3 injured TE’s.

Close game.

Disagree about Seattle. The Seahawks are 1-4 in their five most recent games on the East Coast. Shaun Alexander is gone; Steve Hutchinson is not there. In fact, three OL starters sidelined while recovering from surgery (LT Walter Jones, OC Spencer and RG Rob Sims).

Branch is five months into what is typically a nine-month rehabilitation, so won’t be there for the Bills game. Bobby Engram skipped minicamps and June camp for a contract extension. He caught a franchise-record 94 passes last year. Nate Burleson is okay when he runs the right route. Obomanu, Taylor, Kent and Payne have combined for a whopping 17 NFL catches.

Special teams coach Bruce DeHaven has no Josh Brown, has a shaky vet Olindo Mare, and rookie Brandon kicking, and Coutuu. Plackemeier may not be ready for our game at punter, last season's special teams captain and leading tackler Koutouvides left for Denver, and they have no confidence in Burleson as a returner.

Seahawks were horrid on the road last year: Lost 6, and they allowed 345.2 yards per game.

Win.

Good intell. This being the opener, all we really have is their last game -deep in the playoffs, in a blizzard on the Frozen Tundra. Certainly the X factor is a Buffalo Bills home opener!! The 12th man needs to get to camp on time and be in mid-season form for the opening kickoff!

I think it's safe to say 10 wins will be required for AFC playoff teams. Therefore, IMO, we HAVE to beat the Pats* this year to play in January. Here's how our schedule looks to each opponent:

Seattle: Perrenial playoff team with Pro Bowl QB and a fabled coach beginning his last season there. Cross-country trek to open the season likely won't affect their performance and they're already past the 'Alexander Era'. If there's such a thing as a SHOCKER in the opening weekend, a Bills win would fit that premise.

W Seattle is a weak road team.

@ Jax: Another playoff team with high expectations. We are their home opener, sandwiched between road games at division powers Tenn. & Indy. J-Ville is still smokin' hot in early Sept. and the Jags are loaded in all aspects. Week two is typically a 'shocker' weekend but this isn't a game Jax will 'look past'.

L Tough foe on the road.

Oakland: We're the Raiders only non-division game in the first quarter, coming here following @KC and before San Diego at home. Likely their first real chance at a win, they'll throw caution to the wind for victory.

W Win against weaker opponents at home.

@St. Louis: The Rams play @ Seattle before welcoming us to their domed fast track and likely their best shot at victory in the first HALF of the season. Their schedule of @ Philly, G-Men, @ Seattle, Bills, @'Skins, Dallas and @ NE* is likely the most daunting in the league. Expect fireworks as they bye the following week. Our secondary will be busy while trying to keep Steven Jackson under ropes..

W Tough road win.

@Arizona The Cards will be battle tested with 3 road games by the time the Bills show up to play their first game at that awesome stadium. We'll be their 3rd AFC East team already and precede the Cowboys coming to town. They'll likely be in a QB shuffle by this time, but they have WEAPONS!! Good thing we stocked up on DB's eh, Bill in NYC?? Still blistering heat there in early Oct.

W Lynch runs wild.

Open Date:

San Diego: Another powerhouse who likely won't be affected by a cross country trip, especially following a Sunday Nighter vs. the Pats*. They'll keep going east after Buffalo, all the way to London to play the Saints. Weapons and talent galore on this team make them an extremely difficult win for every team in the league. I hope we catch them nappin' on the first leg of their global trek .

L They're the better team and the weather shouldn't be a factor.

@Miami With nowhere to go but up, the Fish welcome us after Baltimore and before @ Denver. We're their 3rd home game in 4 weeks in a stretch where they play 6 of 8 at home. :wallbash: Otherwise nothing unusual with this game and one we'll need to win and should.

W Beat the fish!

NY Jets: The Jets should be on a bit of a roll by the time they make their annual visit to the Ralph. They will have played the Cards, Cincy, @ Oakland and home to the Chiefs just prior to their arrival. This is the critical game as I see it. The Jets may have a game in hand over us at this juncture but their schedule toughens up afterward while ours looks a little easier down the stretch. With all the great teams in the AFC, 3 playoff teams from the East is unlikely -so the winner here has an upper hand, IMO.

W Win your division games at home.

@ NE*: The Conference Champs welcome us after a Sunday Nighter @Indy and play the Jets 4 days later. When's the last time NE* lost 2 games in a row? If they get beat by 'the other Manning', we're toast. Especially if the 'wrinkles' haven't been worked out yet with defensive signal interference there... :thumbsup:

L No reason to think anything different will happen.

Cleveland (MNF): Another WNY spotlight game should provide great theater again, but the Brownies will have had eleven days to prepare following a Thursday nighter hostng Denver. After us, they play Houson, Indy, @ Tenn and @ Philly. Like the Jets, the Browns are a team in our way and a loss here would be difficult to overcome in tie-breaks.

W Home cooking may get us through a very tough opponent.

@KC: A short week and going on the road following MNF is daunting no matter who the opposition is. The Chiefs will likely be salivating for us after a 3 week stretch hosting Tampa Bay, @ the Chargers and home vs. the Saints. I don't remember the last time the Bills played well in KC and I don't have a good feeling here at all..

W Tough venue but winnable.

San Fransico: We're the start of a 3 week AFC East swing for the 9ers. Their schedule up to this game is incredibly strong -2 games w/ Seattle, NO, NE*, Philly,@G-Men and @ the 'Boys. Still, being the NFC they probably won't be mathmatically eliminated and we Easterners represent the easiest leg of their season, along w/ @ the Rams and the finale at home vs. the 'Skins. It's not a reach to think they could close out the season 5-0 with the Bills being the toughest game of the stretch. We'll get their best shot.

W Trent will have to win this one.

Home/@Toronto (Miami): Toronto, Singapore, London, wherever. If we don't beat the Felons' we don't belong in the playoffs. Buffalo will have the one preseason game experience on the foreign field and hopefully will learn a trick or two to pull on 'Tuna's conundrum' when they tee it off for real in Canada.

W Who knows how they react to Rogers, but it's Miami.

@NY Jets: Showdown in the swamp. Loser dies. The Jets return home after a cross country roadie @ San Fran and go back cross country to Seattle the following week. They're schedule is soft enough that they should be in the thick of playoff discussions but dropping 2 in a row to us and the Seahawks would probably sink them. Expect their best game in a couple years.

L Always tough in their house.

@Denver: We are their home finale sandwiched between roadies @ Carolina and season ender in San Diego. Their schedule is a tough one, facing the NFC South along with Jax and @ NE. They didn't impress me last year -even though we choked- and I don't think much of them this year. Still it will be Winter in Denver a mile high..

L Only reason is it's in Denver.

New England: The Pats* schedule is a cupcake -especially for an undefeated team. They should have their playoff position sewn up and this game would likely be meaningless to them except BB* hates to lose to anyone.

W We need it, they don't. Time to break the streak and send us into the playoffs.

I think the Bills are capable of amassing 9 wins to this point. I know we haven't seen the changes the team has made perform yet, but there's every reason to believe we can expect to be competitive against all our competition. There may well be a 10 win team in the AFC who doesn't make the playoffs. NE* is in our heads - we don't believe we can beat them. That has to change this year and season finale will likely represent our best chance in years.

11-5. 10-6 if we lose that Cleveland game, which I'm 50/50 on. Call me an optimist :o

WTF @ beating Seattle at home a "shocker"? I guarantee the spread will be less than 3pts if we're the underdog at all....

Forget about playoffs if we can't win that game.

I suspect all point spreads will be tight in week one. But I think the sports world would call a Bills victory a shock. A perennial playoff team playing a team that hasn't ..well, just hasn't to date.

For the record, I'm calling this one a win for the Red, White and Blue. ..and silver ... and another shade of blue.. and..

I suspect all point spreads will be tight in week one. But I think the sports world would call a Bills victory a shock. A perennial playoff team playing a team that hasn't ..well, just hasn't to date.

For the record, I'm calling this one a win for the Red, White and Blue. ..and silver ... and another shade of blue.. and..

Looking at the schedule again, this game just keeps attracting my attention. Buffalo generally doesn't start well.

1. Seattle had one of the better D's in football lest year, like # 6 in points / game: Problem for Buffalo, big problem.

2. Seattle was ranked # 9 in points/ game.

3. Don't expect a Buffalo team with new OC and first time starting QB to be clicking just yet.

4. Have to give coaching advantage to Seattle as well.

I really think this may be a "must win" for Buffalo, as starting out 2 - 3 will be a death sentence for this team in the AFC, IMO.

Open Date:

San Diego: Another powerhouse who likely won't be affected by a cross country trip, especially following a Sunday Nighter vs. the Pats*. They'll keep going east after Buffalo, all the way to London to play the Saints. Weapons and talent galore on this team make them an extremely difficult win for every team in the league. I hope we catch them nappin' on the first leg of their global trek..

@ NE*: The Conference Champs welcome us after a Sunday Nighter @Indy and play the Jets 4 days later. When's the last time NE* lost 2 games in a row? If they get beat by 'the other Manning', we're toast. Especially if the 'wrinkles' haven't been worked out yet with defensive signal interference there... :o

Very nice post. This is a tough schedule for the Bills IMO. The teams that were weak last year look to be improved and several of those games are on the road. Bills have to start the season better than they have the past couple of years. Jauron has to get this team ready quicker. They could be looking at a poor record by the bye week if not ready to play on week one and they aren't a good enough team IMO to recover from that.

A perennial playoff team out of the NFC West...

Branch is five months into what is typically a nine-month rehabilitation, so won't be there for the Bills game. Bobby Engram skipped minicamps and June camp for a contract extension. He caught a franchise-record 94 passes last year. Nate Burleson is okay when he runs the right route. Obomanu, Taylor, Kent and Payne have combined for a whopping 17 NFL catches.

Win.

Didn't Branch have surgery in January which would be almost 9 months by September? They have no confidence in Burleson? He returns punts and kicks for the Seahawks and didn't he make the pro bowl as a returner a year ago? He's an awesome returner. In fact, he led the NFL in punt return yards last year.

Win.

I agree that Seattle is not anything to be scared of but your going to tell me that they are not going to win the NFC West? Do you remember who the rest of the division is? St. Louis is terrible and has a murderous schedule, SF has Alex Smith....enough said, and if I have to hear one more person say "this is the year Arizona turns it around" I'm going to puke! Every year the so called experts put Arizona and Detroit as the surprise teams..... got news for ya... they both suck and will continue to suck.

I do agree with the first post in that we will prolly have to take out NE at least once to get into the post season.

We can already in my mind pencil in the top 5 playoff teams in the AFC

Pats win AFC EAST

Chargers win WEST

Either Jacksonvill or Indy win South the other gets WC

Either Cleveland or Pitt wins North

That means that we wll be batteling with the loser of the north and maybe the Titans, Jets and Houston for the last spot.

Either Jacksonvill or Indy win South the other gets WC

I don't get the love Jville garners. Therre is nothing on this team that even remotely scares me. Adding Porter? Big deal. Their drafting of DL to be coached by Greggy? Meh. The loss of Stroud is not a plus, right?

I know they give Indy fits, but they're a division opponent. That's the way it works. Indy wins this division easily as usual. The only thing more boring than the Jags is the perrenial love bestowed upon them year after after after year after year.....

Regarding Seattle, I agree with the above, Seattle, though flawed, could win this division easily. They won't have much to beat out in their division.

Having said this, Buffalo beats Seahawks and will find a way to lose to the Jags.

Open Date:

Horrible analysis. We get it, everybody's easiest game or best chance of win is against the bills & everybody will be up for playing us. Yeah right. I love how you say against us Arizona has weapons & when they play the jets the jets should be on a bit of a roll playing the cards. Also, Arizona is a retractable dome so heat will not be a factor. It must suck being a bills fan & being this pessimistic about the bills chances before they even put the pads on @ SJF.

One more thing. I am not saying that you could take results from the previous year & dictate what type of schedule you have, especially since teams change so much from year to year now but think about this. If you count SF's pick that they traded to NE, the bills play 8 out of their 16 games against teams that picked in the top 10 of the draft this past april. Not everyone of them is going to improve.

At this point in time, if the Buffalo Bills beating the Seattle Seahawks in the home opener is still considered a shocker, then our team is in a heap of trouble. Sorry, I didn't bother to read beyond that over reaching statement. If they can't beat Seattle at home then that is NOT a good sign for our team. Seattle oozes average, ho-hum, beatable on the road NFC team.

i don't agree with it all, but good post and thread IMO.

i think @jax is gonna suck, but we've played them well (last year we were in it until the end and give jones drew fits, and our pass rush had gerrard on lock, jp decided to give the game away with his usual horrible late play).

seattle is HORRIBLE on the road, particularly to the east coast.

on D they have a good secondary (very good?) and a fast undersized pass rushing front 7. our O line is a rock vs pass rushing fronts, and will be able to push them around in the run (small linebackers on the road vs marshawn at home? i like lynch). on the flip side we've added a bit to our coverage ability and are playing against a team with meh and banged up WRs and no RB talent. the o line as it says above for the seachickens is hurt and we have put a ton of guys close to the ball on D, i expect hassleback to get beaten up pretty bad.

i think we win and look good hosting seattle.