Our only Championship Q.B.

Does anyone know if Jack has ever been nominated and if not why not. He has about all the old AFL QB records ther are.

If you actually look at his stats for some seasons, even the championship years, he was horrible. He normally had a completion percentage in the 40's and threw a lot more INTs than TDs.

The 2 AFL Championships should count for something, though.

If you actually look at his stats for some seasons, even the championship years, he was horrible. He normally had a completion percentage in the 40's and threw a lot more INTs than TDs.

The 2 AFL Championships should count for something, though.

It was the days of the head slap and the bump and run. 50% completions was a big thing then. And long before one seasons' work got tongues wagging for a HOF berth.

But I can't see Kemp as getting into the HOF. Decent QB for the era.

It was the days of the head slap and the bump and run. 50% completions was a big thing then. And long before one seasons' work got tongues wagging for a HOF berth.

Exactly.Completely different era and of course the completion %s werent ridiculously high like they are today.-Kemp definitely not a hall of famer altho a very good AFL QB.

If you actually look at his stats for some seasons, even the championship years, he was horrible. He normally had a completion percentage in the 40's and threw a lot more INTs than TDs. The 2 AFL Championships should count for something, though.

League-wide, INT's were as common then as punts are now.

I agree. Most of the writers who vote are so jacked with the current talent they ignore NFL history. They are stats men, and don't understand the difference in the game over the years. It isn't baseball, but they treat it like it is.

1960 led Chargers to west div Championship

1961 led Chargers to west div Championship

1963 led Bills to reg season 1st place tie for eastern div/lost in playoffs to Pats.

1964 led Bills to AFL Championship

1965 led Bills to AFL Championship

1966 led Bills to eastern div championship

Most pass attempts in AFL history

Most pass completions in AFL history

Most passing yards in AFL history

1965 league MVP

Seven time All-Star(pro-bowl)

Only QB to be starter for entire 10 year history of AFL

3.2 yds per carry career rushing with 40 rushing TDs.

Sorry if those aren't hall of fame stats whats are????????

1960 led Chargers to west div Championship

1961 led Chargers to west div Championship

1963 led Bills to reg season 1st place tie for eastern div/lost in playoffs to Pats.

1964 led Bills to AFL Championship

1965 led Bills to AFL Championship

1966 led Bills to eastern div championship

Most pass attempts in AFL history

Most pass completions in AFL history

Most passing yards in AFL history

1965 league MVP

Seven time All-Star(pro-bowl)

Only QB to be starter for entire 10 year history of AFL

3.2 yds per carry career rushing with 40 rushing TDs.

Sorry if those aren't hall of fame stats whats are????????

Many Hall of Fame voters remain convinced that the AFL was an inferior league, especially during its first couple of seasons. When Len Dawson (whose early NFL career was spent as a backup) joined the Texans in 1962 -- and proceeded to complete an unheard-of 60.1 percent of his passes and lead the league with 29 touchdowns versus 17 interceptions -- their argument gained steam.

Also remember that the Bills won those AFL championships with a stout running game and the best defense in the league, that Kemp was pulled for Lamonica on a regular basis during those years, that he only threw 20 TD passes once in his career and NEVER threw more TDs than INTs in any of his 11 professional seasons.

Then add the fact that despite accumulating more attempts, completions, or yardage than other AFL quarterbacks -- most of whom played during only part of the league's 10-year run -- Kemp never led the league in those categories in any single season. Vinny Testaverde is in the Top 10 in each of those career stats; David Krieg isn't far behind. Neither is Canton-bound.

Was Jack Kemp a winner? Absolutely. A Hall of Famer? No.

Passer rating -- single-season high during AFL era / career total (* = Hall of Fame):

Len Dawson* 101.7, 82.6

George Blanda* 91.3, 60.6

John Hadl 83.0, 67.4

Joe Namath* 74.3, 65.5

Jack Kemp 67.1, 57.3

Passing TDs in AFL (single-season high in parentheses)

Dawson*, 1962-69: 182 (30)

Blanda*, 1960-69: 176 (36)

Hadl, 1962-69: 143 (27)

Kemp, 1960-67, 1969: 114 (20)

Namath*, 1965-69: 97 (26)

NOTE: Blanda became a backup when he went to Oakland following the 1966 season.

I'd imagine Felser nominated him a few times but he was more of a care taker QB than anything else. Anyway, Tom Sestak, possibly our greatest DT ever along with Big Ted, is far more deserving and it's pathetic that he's not already in.

I'd imagine Felser nominated him a few times but he was more of a care taker QB than anything else. Anyway, Tom Sestak, possibly our greatest DT ever along with Big Ted, is far more deserving and it's pathetic that he's not already in.

Damn straight, Phil.

One of the joys of attending the recent PFRA get-together was the opportunity to listen to T.J. Troup spin some stories. (He coached for over 20 years, was on the NFL Films advisory board for the "America's Game" series, and served as the technical advisor for "Leatherheads" ... so the guy knows some football.)

The first thing he said to me when he saw my Bills shirt? "Big Ses. What a great player, one of the best defensive tackles I ever saw."

If Sestak was still alive, he may have gotten a Seniors Committee ticket to the HOF by now. But as the older voters continue to retire from the selection board, the chances dwindle for enshrining any other AFL-only players ...