Campbell is Good

Dante

" Campbell's deal is reportedly worth US$7.14 million annually with the total of $57.12 million the richest in team history. "

The Sharks did very well after acquiring him late last season. Exciting player. He really did seem unstable in the playoffs though. Lots of mental errors and turnovers that made me shake my head. Was that his MO when with the Sabres? Anyway, although I would have liked him to stay, I'm not totally bummed that he signed elsewhere. If the Sharks paid him what that much or more it would have thrown our salary structure way out of whack.

That's big money to spend...But at least the guy has been an All Star and been a major part of some teams who made deep playoff runs. He will log minutes, play average D, and be an asset on the PP. There are going to be other defensmen in the coming days who have had mediocre-to-solid careers and are going to be in the $4.5 mil per season range. Its getting crazy again, and it only reinforces the money that can be saved by extending your players before they hit the open market.

And the Sabres could have had Campbell last year when he asked for $25 million for 5 years, but they told him that was too much. Teams like Chicago, who have been bad for so long, or smaller markets like Buffalo, sometimes have to overpay a player to get him to come to that team.

Now it looks like the Sabres will be missing out on any of the top defensemen. Local guy Brooks Orpik is still available, but Darcy said, “We did have conversations, I don’t expect to be a part of that going forward.” So the alternative is trying to trade for a defenseman, or signing an older guy like Rhett Warraner or Teppo Numinan.

The Sabres ended up with Patrick Lalame as a backup goalie, but I was really hoping they could have got Olaf Kolzig who is big like Miller and would have been a good teacher.

And the Sabres could have had Campbell last year when he asked for $25 million for 5 years, but they told him that was too much. Teams like Chicago, who have been bad for so long, or smaller markets like Buffalo, sometimes have to overpay a player to get him to come to that team.

Now it looks like the Sabres will be missing out on any of the top defensemen. Local guy Brooks Orpik is still available, but Darcy said, “We did have conversations, I don’t expect to be a part of that going forward.” So the alternative is trying to trade for a defenseman, or signing an older guy like Rhett Warraner or Teppo Numinan.

The Sabres ended up with Patrick Lalame as a backup goalie, but I was really hoping they could have got Olaf Kolzig who is big like Miller and would have been a good teacher.

Too bad about Orpik...I thought he would have been a great fit. Maybe we could package some of our excess RWs for a D and sign Morrison as a C.

" Campbell's deal is reportedly worth US$7.14 million annually with the total of $57.12 million the richest in team history. "

The Sharks did very well after acquiring him late last season. Exciting player. He really did seem unstable in the playoffs though. Lots of mental errors and turnovers that made me shake my head. Was that his MO when with the Sabres? Anyway, although I would have liked him to stay, I'm not totally bummed that he signed elsewhere. If the Sharks paid him what that much or more it would have thrown our salary structure way out of whack.

Campbell is a very good player, 7.14 is probably more than he's worth, but Chicago wanted him and were willing to overpay to assure his signing. Kind of reminds me of when McKee received 4 mill from St. Louis, they definitely overpaid, but wanted to make sure they got him.

Campbell overall is very good with the puck, he's consistently able to gain the blue line on the power play, although he doesn't have much of a shot. He lays the occasional big hit, but isn't a real physical player. His main problem is that he turns the puck over quite a bit, which I believe is the main reason San Jose didn't sign him. I hope he does well in Chicago, they have a really nice young team and should be exciting to watch.

Now it looks like the Sabres will be missing out on any of the top defensemen.

There are no top defensemen in this year's crop of free agents. This is the same kind of market that had Carlos Silva as one of the top starting pitchers available in MLB this past offseason.

Also, as for Campbell, I see him more as a complementary piece on the blue line. He's an asset to a team, but he's not the guy you build your blueline around. That kind of money should be going to that kind of player, not Campbell.

I would have liked for the Sharks to have kept him, but not at that price. Oh well, the Sharks still have a strong group of players. I am glad that they re-signed Jeremy Roenick, Joe Pavelski, Jody Shelley, & Brian Boucher.

Campbell at $7.1M is about $3M more than I would have wanted the Sabres to pay. I don't begrudge Soupy for getting as much as he can, but the market is so effed up right now that guys who are good players are getting star player money, and 3rd-liners are getting 1st-line money. It's ridiculous. I'm as ticked as anyone that the Sabres weren't able to address a couple of their needs yesterday, but I'd probably be more ticked if we had to vastly overpay just to sign someone.

I would have liked for the Sharks to have kept him, but not at that price. Oh well, the Sharks still have a strong group of players. I am glad that they re-signed Jeremy Roenick, Joe Pavelski, Jody Shelley, & Brian Boucher.

I think the Shelly signing is a good indication that good things are already happening with out new coach, Todd McLellan. Knows that Shelly is a great component to have even if R. Wilson didn't. Sat him the entire playoffs. Pavelski is an emerging star as well. I really do want them to get Clowe signed. He is untouchable in my opinion. Great power forward with very good hands and a smart player.

Brooks Orpik resigned with the Penguins for 6 years for an average of $3.75 million. He said the Sabres never even made him an offer. I thought he would end up getting $4 million or more. I'd like to know where Darcy thinks he's going to get a decent tough defensemen for less money.

It's ridiculous. I'm as ticked as anyone that the Sabres weren't able to address a couple of their needs yesterday, but I'd probably be more ticked if we had to vastly overpay just to sign someone.

The part that angers me is, for the second straight year, Darcy has said, "We are shocked at some of the salaries being thrown around in the open market."

Why is he shocked??? This is the third straight offseason it's happened, since they were shocked by Danny Briere's $5 mil arbitration ruling. Yet he's still playing his typical reactionary role, wishing that these high salaries didn't exist.

They scoffed at $5 mil per season for Campbell. You've got to think, at the end of that 5-year deal, that $5 mil for Soupy in 2012 and 2013 would look like a steal. Friggin Mike Commodore is now a $4 mil per year player for Gods sake!!!!!!

I'm tired of hearing the Sabres talk about other teams overpaying. It's called market value, you stooges. And I'm tired of them not making a trade or a signing unless they feel they come out on top 70/30.

The part that angers me is, for the second straight year, Darcy has said, "We are shocked at some of the salaries being thrown around in the open market."

Why is he shocked??? This is the third straight offseason it's happened, since they were shocked by Danny Briere's $5 mil arbitration ruling. Yet he's still playing his typical reactionary role, wishing that these high salaries didn't exist.

They scoffed at $5 mil per season for Campbell. You've got to think, at the end of that 5-year deal, that $5 mil for Soupy in 2012 and 2013 would look like a steal. Friggin Mike Commodore is now a $4 mil per year player for Gods sake!!!!!!

I'm tired of hearing the Sabres talk about other teams overpaying. It's called market value, you stooges. And I'm tired of them not making a trade or a signing unless they feel they come out on top 70/30.

I'm frustrated as well, but the current "market value" for mediocre players is going to lead to another lock out very soon. And Darcy only has what LQ and TG allot, so if he pays 4 or 5 million for mid range talent and only has 9 or 10 mill to use total, how much can you really improve a team?

:thumbsup:

I'm right there with you. I've gone back and forth on this since the FA period started -- I've been patient and advocating the Sabres not pay through the nose for someone who might or might not help, followed by disgust at the league and "the market" and now, after reading the article on the Sabres' disinterest in Orpik, I'm disgusted with the Sabres FO again.

I'm frustrated as well, but the current "market value" for mediocre players is going to lead to another lock out very soon. And Darcy only has what LQ and TG allot, so if he pays 4 or 5 million for mid range talent and only has 9 or 10 mill to use total, how much can you really improve a team?

The market value thing really burns me up. It seems like, as Ralph said above, that every year our FO is shocked by the market and can't believe this or that. I just have to wonder how aggressive we are being in trying to get these guys before the market blows up their cost. Look at Tampa. Whether the moves were right or wrong, they got aggressive, targeted the guys they wanted and made bold moves to get them.

I think we're heading to another labor stoppage, but it won't do any good. No one is putting a gun to these owners' heads to sign off on these ridiculous deals.