Mercedes Benz

Dante

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it happens. When I worked at a Toyota dealership a few years ago, there was a lot of talk that Toyota was planning on making a hybrid version of almost every vehicle in their lineup by 2009-2010. (I think the Celica and the Land Cruiser were the only ones that weren't included.) This summer this 2009 models are coming out and from everything I've read Toyota's hybrid lineup is limited to the Prius, Highlander and Camry.

I hope it happens. When I worked at a Toyota dealership a few years ago, there was a lot of talk that Toyota was planning on making a hybrid version of almost every vehicle in their lineup by 2009-2010. (I think the Celica and the Land Cruiser were the only ones that weren't included.) This summer this 2009 models are coming out and from everything I've read Toyota's hybrid lineup is limited to the Prius, Highlander and Camry.

I've heard rumors that the 2009 Prius will get close to 100 MPG. Hopefully that's true.

I've heard rumors that the 2009 Prius will get close to 100 MPG. Hopefully that's true.

It's nice to see that competition is spurring innovation, at least for some car manufacturers. Chevy is supposed to roll out a plug-in Volt at the end of 2010, which uses lithium-ion batteries and is supposed to be able to travel the first 40 miles on the electric charge alone. Toyota saw that and sprang into action, opening a battery plant in Japan to develop new battery solutions for plug-ins. (ANOTHER LINK)

Ford, OTOH, apparently has a fleet of plug-in SUVs but has no target date for them to hit the market -- they are waiting to see if consumers are really going to buy the plug-ins.

Keep in mind, a diesel engine can be converted (relatively) easily into a vehicle that runs on fryer grease.

That's a good solution for today. By 2015 I'd imagine that enough people will have figured that out that the price of used fryer oil will be consierably higher than it is today. Though, I guess technically bio-diesel isn't petroleum.

Not to mention that ethanol is a big reason for the current run up in grain prices. Growing fuel is a good idea until you realize there is only so much arable land on the planet, that arable land is pretty much maxed out, the population needs to eat, and is not shrinking in number. Corn for cars = less corn for people. And yes I realize that bio-diesel is not ethanol but it is derived from plant materials which must be grown.

It would be nice if we could figure out how to get decent fuel yields out of waste material from the plants, not the edible parts. They're working on it but are not there yet.

I would hope that Merc would be a little more creative than that and start looking at alternative power sources like plug-in hybrids with good ranges and investing in battery research. I forsee a plug-in hybrid with a small diesel engine meant only to charge the batteries (a la the Volt) with flexible solar technology on the roof line. While the solar won't power the whole car it will extend the range with a trickle charge into the improved lithium ion batt pack. The solar can also assist with charging the car when parked to reduce demand on the grid. we'll see. Knowing Merc they could make a car that runs on pureed Lion cubs...

It's nice to see that competition is spurring innovation, at least for some car manufacturers. Chevy is supposed to roll out a plug-in Volt at the end of 2010, which uses lithium-ion batteries and is supposed to be able to travel the first 40 miles on the electric charge alone.

From what I've read about the Volt, the car will not run on gas at all. The combustion engine only purpose will be to to charge the batteries, kind of like how a portable generator is used to keep lights and fridge running during a power outage

One big problem with the Volt is going to be the price tag. Latest estimates I saw were pushing $40k

From what I've read about the Volt, the car will not run on gas at all. The combustion engine only purpose will be to to charge the batteries, kind of like how a portable generator is used to keep lights and fridge running during a power outage

One big problem with the Volt is going to be the price tag. Latest estimates I saw were pushing $40k

Ouch. That's like the Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon hybrids - shelling out around $50,000 to get yourself 20 miles to the gallon in a hybrid SUV.

I hadn't read a lot on the Volt, so maybe that's the case (gas engine charging the batteries.)

Pretty good news that someone is leading the way. We'll see. Unfortunate it's taking this long. I wish it was being done by a US company but I'll settle for MB. At least they are a major player.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1800/69/

HCCI combustion and trying to work it out is the province of all manufactures, not just M-B. This site you reference doesn't strike me as technically competent.

The process is a balancing act between the compression ignition of a diesel and the spark ignition of a gasoline motor. It's extremely sensitive to both changes in ambient air temperatures and ambient air pressure.

Here is a quote in the March 2008 issue of SAE's Automotive Engineering International[/i, by Hakan Yilmaz - Manager of System and Powertrain Engineering, of Bosch - a huge player in the auto biz :

"HCCI is an excellent meal', Yilmaz explained 'but is a very complicated recipe. You have to prepare everything in advance. You have to make sure everything is perfectly mixed together and hope that combustion will start. Coming to that point is very, very difficult, and so far, the technology is not there for HCCI".

Pretty good news that someone is leading the way. We'll see. Unfortunate it's taking this long. I wish it was being done by a US company but I'll settle for MB. At least they are a major player.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1800/69/

Thats all nice buit they are gonna create a helluva lot of pollution cuz those batteries gotta be powered and that foodstuff needs to be harvested.I dont think those crops are gonna be harvested by themselves--they need a helluva lot of oil.The main energy source we have now is coal--filthy and radioactive.

The only way to make electric cars make sense is if we increase our nuke power capacity very very quickly.

Thats all nice buit they are gonna create a helluva lot of pollution cuz those batteries gotta be powered and that foodstuff needs to be harvested.I dont think those crops are gonna be harvested by themselves--they need a helluva lot of oil.The main energy source we have now is coal--filthy and radioactive.

The only way to make electric cars make sense is if we increase our nuke power capacity very very quickly.

I don't have the knowledge it takes to compare pollution levels today vs electric. I'm told the levels would be far less if we all used electric. But I don't know myself. At the very least we become more self sufficient as far as fuel goes. Less dependent on wackie mid east types. Good with me.