Someone explain the out of bounds play.

PIZ

I don't get it. The fin guy was sideways and had his right foot out and his left foot in and touched the ball, and it was a penalty on Buffalo. I thought if you went out of bounds you couldn't be the first to touch the ball?

It just doesn't make sense to me. If the guy would have been facing forward and his right foot was out and his left in, it seems logical that the Fins would have got the ball right at that spot.

Also, how was the clock able to run after Miami called their final time out? I thought the clock would only run after Buffalo hiked the ball?

I don't get it.  The fin guy was sideways and had his right foot out and his left foot in and touched the ball, and it was a penalty on Buffalo.  I thought if you went out of bounds you couldn't be the first to touch the ball?

It just doesn't make sense to me.  If the guy would have been facing forward and his right foot was out and his left in, it seems logical that the Fins would have got the ball right at that spot.

Also, how was the clock able to run after Miami called their final time out?  I thought the clock would only run after Buffalo hiked the ball?

74382[/snapback]

Simple fact is: Its one of those weird rules that only coaches, referees, some commentators, and the guy making the headsup play know about. Apparently, even though the ball was not going out of bounds, the fact that the guy who touched it was already out made it out of bounds.

The rule you are referring to is for a player who goes out of bounds and COMES BACK IN. He didn't.

Basically, according to this strange rule, the player is an extension of the out of bounds line.

I don't get it.  The fin guy was sideways and had his right foot out and his left foot in and touched the ball, and it was a penalty on Buffalo.  I thought if you went out of bounds you couldn't be the first to touch the ball?

It just doesn't make sense to me.  If the guy would have been facing forward and his right foot was out and his left in, it seems logical that the Fins would have got the ball right at that spot.

Apparently there is a different rule for ST's. It's a stupid rule and I can't see a reason why it's there. Just another rule to confuse the already stupid zebras.

Also, how was the clock able to run after Miami called their final time out?  I thought the clock would only run after Buffalo hiked the ball?

74382[/snapback]

CBS said that Miami had used-up all their TO's prior to that, but when the clock stopped on what appeared to be another Miami TO, they said "we have them as having no TO's." I'll bet the stupid zebras fugged up and stopped the clock errouneously, and then ran it again when they realized what fugging idiots they are.

Simple fact is: Its one of those weird rules that only coaches, referees, some commentators, and the guy making the headsup play know about. Apparently, even though the ball was not going out of bounds, the fact that the guy who touched it was already out made it out of bounds.

The rule you are referring to is for a player who goes out of bounds and COMES BACK IN. He didn't.

Basically, according to this strange rule, the player is an extension of the out of bounds line.

74391[/snapback]

Correct. If the player has one foot out of bounds, the ball is out of bounds. I saw this in a college game a few weeks ago.

I had never seen the rule called before this season. I don't recall what game it was (maybe last Monday night game?), but this same thing happened last week. That was the first time I had ever seen it before. Kind of funny to see the same thing happen again this week.

Personally, I don't like the rule. Extend the scenario a bit further, and imagine that the ball has completely stopped, inbounds, without anyone touching it. If the ball has remained inbounds on the kickoff, I don't think there should be an illegal procedure penalty on the kicking team simply because a guy on the receiving team is able to stretch far enough to have one foot out of bounds while grabbing the ball.

Man that is a stupid rule. What if the guy was standing around the one yard line, next to the line, and his right foot was out of bounds? The ball came rolling to him and he touched. Are you telling me that would be a penalty on the kicking team? That's just dumb.

Probably the worst rule is the one when you fumble a ball out of the endzone the ball goes to the opposing team. Like Fletcher did. That is just ridiculous.

Man that is a stupid rule.  What if the guy was standing around the one yard line, next to the line, and his right foot was out of bounds?  The ball came rolling to him and he touched.  Are you telling me that would be a penalty on the kicking team?  That's just dumb.

Probably the worst rule is the one when you fumble a ball out of the endzone the ball goes to the opposing team.  Like Fletcher did.  That is just ridiculous.

74434[/snapback]

I agree its not a great rule, but I will again point out that it was a very heads up play by the returner.

But, whats next, can you make a chain of players head-to-toe 25 feet long to touch a ball thats that far inbounds? :w00t:

I hadn't seen this play happen until last week when Chad Morton did it on national TV vs. Baltimore. The announcers went overboard lauding him for a heads-up play. I think you're going to see alot of players try this play now when kickoffs, especially squib kicks, go toward the sidelines. I think it is a bad rule and would not be surprised to see it changed in the offseason.