Gregg Williams for coach of the year?

Fezmid

5. I think Gregg Williams has to be the major candidate for coach of the year. I don't care if he's only a coordinator. You only have to see the Redskins to know how great a job he's done choreographing a defense so punishing he's turned two semi-softies, Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot, into not only cover corners but excellent and hard-hitting (as hard as they can, anyway) corners.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...ex.html?cnn=yes

CW

Funny thing about GW here in DC. I was listening to a Redskins show on the radio and they talked about how good the defense is but they don't create many turnovers or score defensive TD's (Redskins opponents have scored at least one defensive TD in every game). Anyway, the commentator brought up an article in the paper that showed how GW's Bills teams were always a good D but never created turnovers. Somehow they were making the assumption that GW could not put a defense on the field that creates turnovers. Me personally...I think TO's are mostly luck and good fortune and have more to do with the players than the coaching.

Funny thing about GW here in DC.  I was listening to a Redskins show on the radio and they talked about how good the defense is but they don't create many turnovers or score defensive TD's (Redskins opponents have scored at least one defensive TD in every game).  Anyway, the commentator brought up an article in the paper that showed how GW's Bills teams were always a good D but never created turnovers.  Somehow they were making the assumption that GW could not put a defense on the field that creates turnovers.  Me personally...I think TO's are mostly luck and good fortune and have more to do with the players than the coaching.

74353[/snapback]

I concur. Williams D in Tennessee created quite a few turnovers. I think King is smoking something though regarding GW as coach of the year.

Funny thing about GW here in DC.  I was listening to a Redskins show on the radio and they talked about how good the defense is but they don't create many turnovers or score defensive TD's (Redskins opponents have scored at least one defensive TD in every game).  Anyway, the commentator brought up an article in the paper that showed how GW's Bills teams were always a good D but never created turnovers.  Somehow they were making the assumption that GW could not put a defense on the field that creates turnovers.  Me personally...I think TO's are mostly luck and good fortune and have more to do with the players than the coaching.

74353[/snapback]

The Redskins seem to be developing a pass rush, even if they have to send the corners and safeties more, like when Springs got the sack yesterday. That kind of pressure leads to turnovers, like Sean Taylor's interception. The more they do that, the more they'll be in the position to get turnovers. We didn't have a pass rush when he was here (still don't). Now, when he was coordinating the Titans' defense and had Kearse, Blaine Bishop, Samari Rolle, and other good players, they were able to get turnovers and pressure QBs.