WALL-E Review

Mark Vader

Pixar has done it again. I swear this studio's movies get better & better. Their first venture into sci-fi is a brilliant one.

There are live-action films that can only pretend to be as good as this.

It was a big risk for Pixar to go "silent" for the first half of the movie. Honestly though, the whole movie could have been silent and it still would have been great.

There is that great combination of Pixar animation(which is awesome) & storytelling, that is humorous, delightful & heartwarming.

Disney did the right thing by keeping their relationship with Pixar.

Get ready to see a lot of Wall-E & Eve toys in the coming weeks.

I could go into detail about this movie, but I would just be spoiling it for everyone.

So just go out and see it, you will not regret it.

BTW the Pixar short in front of the movie is fantastic.

love disney or hate them, personally i am a huge fan, they do not rest on their laurels, they go balls out to put the best product out there that they can, from movies to themeparks, they make sure that you have what you need to have a good time, it'll cost you, but for my money disney is worth it. I cant wait to see Wall-E

Pixar has done it again. I swear this studio's movies get better & better. Their first venture into sci-fi is a brilliant one.

There are live-action films that can only pretend to be as good as this.

It was a big risk for Pixar to go "silent" for the first half of the movie. Honestly though, the whole movie could have been silent and it still would have been great.

There is that great combination of Pixar animation(which is awesome) & storytelling, that is humorous, delightful & heartwarming.

Disney did the right thing by keeping their relationship with Pixar.

Get ready to see a lot of Wall-E & Eve toys in the coming weeks.

I could go into detail about this movie, but I would just be spoiling it for everyone.

So just go out and see it, you will not regret it.

BTW the Pixar short in front of the movie is fantastic.

love disney or hate them, personally i am a huge fan, they do not rest on their laurels, they go balls out to put the best product out there that they can, from movies to themeparks, they make sure that you have what you need to have a good time, it'll cost you, but for my money disney is worth it. I cant wait to see Wall-E

Disney's terrible. Pixar, on the other hand, is great. Disney owns them but my understanding is that they are completely autonomous.

Disney's terrible. Pixar, on the other hand, is great. Disney owns them but my understanding is that they are completely autonomous.

You are correct. Still to be fair to Disney they gave Pixar a big opportunity when they gave them the big finances so that they could make Toy Story. Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner foolishly was going to let Pixar go at the end of their contract. When Eisner was released, new CEO Robert Iger went in and made it a priority to keep a good relationship with Pixar. Thus a new partnership was made between the 2 companies. It's a great relationship and both companies owe each other big.

I love Pixar, not only for their awesome animation but also for their gifted storytelling. At the same time I am glad to hear that Disney is going back to it's roots and bringing back traditional animated movies.

Would love to see Wall-E...the only problem I have is that Pixar stole the robot's appearance from "Short Circuit".

As long as he doesn't say "Number 5, Alive!" I'm OK with it, though. :rolleyes:

You are correct. Still to be fair to Disney they gave Pixar a big opportunity when they gave them the big finances so that they could make Toy Story. Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner foolishly was going to let Pixar go at the end of their contract. When Eisner was released, new CEO Robert Iger went in and made it a priority to keep a good relationship with Pixar. Thus a new partnership was made between the 2 companies. It's a great relationship and both companies owe each other big.

Steve Jobs hated Eisner with a passion. I gotta believe the Disney board had something to do with pushing Eisner out so they could consumate the Pixar deal. It didn't hurt that Jobs became Disney's biggest shareholder as a result...

I saw Wall-e last night...very good flick, but I gotta disagree with critics calling it Pixar's best-ever movie. It's cute, but doesn't go to 'infinity and beyond' for me the way the Toy Story(s) did.

Saw it this afternoon. Liked it, just wish they had explored the subplot with the two passengers that had turned off their video screens. Maybe show them getting more people to turn theirs off also?

Hey if they show everything, what will they have for the inevitable sequel ?

I liked it too though I wished they had toned down their preachy message and the cheap Bush knock ("stay the course"). As far as their animated movies go, my favorites are Finding Nemo and Incredibles.

Steve Jobs hated Eisner with a passion. I gotta believe the Disney board had something to do with pushing Eisner out so they could consumate the Pixar deal. It didn't hurt that Jobs became Disney's biggest shareholder as a result...

I saw Wall-e last night...very good flick, but I gotta disagree with critics calling it Pixar's best-ever movie. It's cute, but doesn't go to 'infinity and beyond' for me the way the Toy Story(s) did.

I try my best not to play favorites, although there are certain movies that I like more than others. I absolutely love both Toy Story movies, Toy Story 2 should have been nominated for Best Picture.

Wall-E is the best movie I have seen this year, and Pixar should definitely push the best picture campaign.

That is just my opinion.

This movie is not as good as Monsters Inc.

I love the animation of Monsters Inc. and the characters are great.

Yet I do'nt find Monsters to be as funny as some of the other Pixar movies.

IMO the funniest scene is when Mike and Sully are sent to the real world and meet the Abominable Snowman.

"Snowcone?" :)

I'm partial to "Cars". My two-year old nephew has memorized entire sections of that movie and can recite the story book from memory. That's how much he loves the film. He knows the name of every character as well, even the secondary ones. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Fillmore (George Carlin) is gone.

Remember, he's two. :)

I try my best not to play favorites, although there are certain movies that I like more than others. I absolutely love both Toy Story movies, Toy Story 2 should have been nominated for Best Picture.

Wall-E is the best movie I have seen this year, and Pixar should definitely push the best picture campaign.

That is just my opinion.

I agree. I never really paid attention to Toy Story until I had a child, but both of those movies are outstanding, in part because of the attention to detail; like the army men doing recon of the birthday party. Mr. Potato Head telling Buzz how the ability to fly must really hit it big with the ladies. Buzz realizing he really is just a toy was a great scene. But the entire last sequence was brilliant: from Woody going Linda Blair on Sid ("We toys see everything. So. Play. Nice.") to Woody sending the RF-controlled car to help Buzz, to the other toys throwing Woody off the back of the moving van, lighting the rocket...just great stuff. And the sequel was great as well, though I'm partial to anything Joan Cusack does, and even Kelsay Grammar as the prospector was pretty funny.

There's a funny scene as the credits are rolling on "Cars" where John Ratzenberger as "Mac" is at the drive-in watching all of his characters. At first, he's saying "Man, that guy is a really good actor." And then it becomes "Waaaiiiit a minute...that guy sounds familiar."

I've really become a big fan of these animated flicks. Most of them are pretty damn good. Better than most movies I watch, anyway.

I haven't seen Wall-E, but wifey took our 3 1/2 year old to see it, and for a kid who can't sit still, he sat glued for the entire flick, as did his friends. We saw reviews that questioned whether the relatively dialogue-less opening 30 minutes would keep kids' interest, but wifey said he was riveted. Of course, he loves gears and robots, so Wall-E could have been crappin' Pop-Tarts and my son would probably be riveted.

We saw WALL-E last night at the local drive-in. A fireworks display was finishing up nearby at the start of the movie, so it made for a very nice, festive atmosphere.

I'll put this simply, WALL-E is the best movie I've seen since Napoleon Dynamite. I give it an A+.

SPOILER ALERT:

This may have been a bit of a "message" movie, esp. with the people of the 29th century fat and going around on hovering recliners, but it's a tremendously well-written film, and completely original to boot. The robot WALL-E had more heart and emotion than many non-animated actors out there (are you listening, Brad Pitt?). Pixar certainly keeps raising the bar on their films, with one blip last year in Ratatouille. Films like these is what movie-making is all about, even if they are (mostly) animated.

And the short before the film had me laughing in my car for six solid minutes as well. :thumbsup:

I'm going to go against the grain and say while the movie good overall, the story went lame in the second half and had more holes than swiss cheese. I give it a B.

Does anyone else notice a similar feel to the film "Silent Running" during the first half, and did Otto's red eye remind you of any other evil renegade computer from anther film?

PTR