What Is Up With The "Wind Thing"

Don't know if this was brought up before.

If you lose the coin toss at the start of the game don't you get to choose the wind in the 4th (or at least try to take a reasonable guess at which way it will be blowing)?

This is done by defending the proper goal in the first right?

I was listening to the game and almost blew a gasket when I heard what happened at the opening coin toss.

Don't know the whole breakdown... I guess I got spoiled during the Levy years... They never seemed to make this mistake?

Please fill me in with the rules...

Don't know if this was brought up before.

If you lose the coin toss at the start of the game don't you get to choose the wind in the 4th (or at least try to take a reasonable guess at which way it will be blowing)?

This is done by defending the proper goal in the first right?

I was listening to the game and almost blew a gasket when I heard what happened at the opening coin toss.

Don't know the whole breakdown... I guess I  got spoiled during the Levy years... They never seemed to make this mistake?

Please fill me in with the rules...

74264[/snapback]

I think this was covered a couple of weeks ago. If you win the toss, you can choose an end to defend, or to kickoff or receive - not both. The other team gets the same choice in the second half.

Buffalo could have chosen the wind for the 4th quarter, but Miami would have the choice to kickoff or receive, probably receiving the ball to start both halves.

Having the wind in the 3rd really saved us.  We needed to come out of the lockerroom and grab momentum and the quick 10 points in the 3rd did the trick.  It worked out well.

74271[/snapback]

The Bills had a horseshoe up their arse and got lucky.

The way the wind was blowin', can anybody give me a reference to when Levy would have used MM's thinking?

Of course we had better players then? :w00t:

This will likely not go over well, but did you see the difference between Bledsoe's passes vs. Fiedler's passes INTO the wind? We were much more productive playing into the wind from a passing standpoint than were the Dolphins. At the very least, Bledsoe's throws were near the receiver. Fiedler's touch passes into the wind would drop dead in mid-air.

Somehow I think the Bills knew this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say throwing with the wind at his back was the reason he overthrew Evans on the first play from scrimmage. Evans was wide open and that was just the kind of throw with which Bledsoe is typically more accurate.

The Bills had a horseshoe up their arse and got lucky.

The way the wind was blowin', can anybody give me a reference to when Levy would have used MM's thinking?

Of course we had better players then? :w00t:

74279[/snapback]

Levy Bills would choose to take the wind in the 1st and 4th quarters, because his offense was good enough to build big leads in the 1st, and good enough to come back if they needed in the 4th.

Needless to say, the current Bills offense is completely different. After accomplishing nothing in the 1st half yesterday, the Bills need to put some points on the board quick. That's why they took the ball in the 3rd and gave up the wind in the 4th.

It worked out well, as the Bills posted 10 points on their first 2 drives.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the coin toss winner has the choice of kicking or recieving, or chosing which side to defend. I got upset at tasker because i thought that there wasn't a choice to be made after halftime. You can't have the same team kickoff before the game and after the half.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the coin toss winner has the choice of kicking or recieving, or chosing which side to defend.  I got upset at tasker because i thought that there wasn't a choice to be made after halftime.  You can't have the same team kickoff before the game and after the half.

74357[/snapback]

There is a choice at halftime. The team that lost the coin flip has the same choice (kick/receive or goal line to defend). Tasker thought the Bills should have elected to kick.

No they can't.  In the NFL you cannot defer your decision to the second half.

74487[/snapback]

directly from the NFL rulebook: http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/cointoss

Coin Toss

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(B) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

:blink:

This will likely not go over well, but did you see the difference between Bledsoe's passes vs. Fiedler's passes INTO the wind? We were much more productive playing into the wind from a passing standpoint than were the Dolphins. At the very least, Bledsoe's throws were near the receiver. Fiedler's touch passes into the wind would drop dead in mid-air.

Somehow I think the Bills knew this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say throwing with the wind at his back was the reason he overthrew Evans on the first play from scrimmage. Evans was wide open and that was just the kind of throw with which Bledsoe is typically more accurate.

74289[/snapback]

I totally agree LA. I listened to it. From what I heard, it sounded like you said.

Are you saying that Bledsoe is a good fir for this stadium in bad weather? :blink: :blink:

As much as he can be a liability. Games like these are fitted for him. Now if he can just get his head out of his arse on calm days... The Bills might just get ahead of the curve... B)

:w00t:

Point taken... Probably won't go over well.