Rec league cancels All-Star game

Bmwolf21

LINK

BEACHWOOD, Ohio -- A local community has canceled an all-star game for youth baseball players because it doesn't want to exclude anyone.

People in Beachwood are upset, and it's not just parents and children. The issue is when is a child just learning a game and when are they old enough to compete in it?

The city of Beachwood and its recreation department drew the line at age 12.

The phone lines lit up on WTAM on Thursday morning as parents and sports fans called to voice their opinion on the city canceling its all-star game for 9- to 12-year-olds.

For decades the game has been played on July 4, but in a letter to the coaches, the parks and recreation department said the tradition is over, saying its not their desire to exclude any child from participating in a recreation event.

Fuggin Waaaaaaah. Don't want to derail anyone's self-esteem engine

Or piss off Mommy & Daddy because their little All Star didn't make the team

Local news here keeps showing the same mother crying about the All-Star game "segregating" the kids. Sounded to me like "my kids didn't make the team so I am going to B word and complain until they cancel the game. If my kids can't play, no one's kids can."

I'd love to hear how they respond to this parent and player's concerns:

Franz has one father call in whose child would have played in next week's all-star game. He said his son is very disappointed because this was the first year he was selected and he's worked hard all year to get this honor.

LINK

BEACHWOOD, Ohio -- A local community has canceled an all-star game for youth baseball players because it doesn't want to exclude anyone.

People in Beachwood are upset, and it's not just parents and children. The issue is when is a child just learning a game and when are they old enough to compete in it?

The phone lines lit up on WTAM on Thursday morning as parents and sports fans called to voice their opinion on the city canceling its all-star game for 9- to 12-year-olds.

For decades the game has been played on July 4, but in a letter to the coaches, the parks and recreation department said the tradition is over, saying its not their desire to exclude any child from participating in a recreation event.

I'll bet one of the otherwise snubbed has a parent at the recreation department...

LINK

I may be going against the crowd on this one but overall sports history and tradition tends to let everyone participate. As Americans we are used to seeing the best of the best. But take a step back and look at the world as a whole.

The Olympics allow third rate athletes from backwater countries in just based on the fact they live in backwater countries. If they truly picked all of the best athletes we would not have to put up with the nausea of watching "athletes" from places like Madagascar, Fiji, or Canada all helplessy flailing about in an effort to not finish last. But the world is a bigger place than America and sometimes we forget that. I say let everyone play.

Ah, the good ole days.

Dad (to his twelve year old): How'd the game go son?

Kid: Bad dad, we lost 12-1

Dad: Wow, you guys stink!

Kid: Yeah dad, I know.

Dad: Here son, have a beer.

Kid: Thanks dad.

Dad: So what time is tomorrow's game?

Kid: 1 o'clock

Dad: Have fun