MPEG files- how do I open them?

Pete

I have an IMac and some MPEG files I am trying to open. I tried to download a player from download.com but it won't open (like many other programs on my Apple). Could someone please recommend a way to open an MPEG file? Thanks

Do you know how to install programs on your mac? (no sarcasm, serious question)

kind of. Itunes reads the program as a movie file. I downloaded the player and when I click on it on my desktop nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

This movie cannot open.

This file is not a movie file. - thats the message I get when I try and open the MPEG file

Do you know how to install programs on your mac? (no sarcasm, serious question)

I've had this macbook for 2 months. I always installed programs successfully by clicking everything humanly possible, but just Monday figured out how to actually do it. Strangley confusing just to install something --- maybe just so different from the PC.

kind of. Itunes reads the program as a movie file. I downloaded the player and when I click on it on my desktop nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

This movie cannot open.

This file is not a movie file. - thats the message I get when I try and open the MPEG file

I've had this macbook for 2 months. I always installed programs successfully by clicking everything humanly possible, but just Monday figured out how to actually do it. Strangley confusing just to install something --- maybe just so different from the PC.

ok guys, it IS different than a PC but not difficult at all.

when you open the dmg file, at the end of the installation, you should see something that tells you to drag that icon into your applications folder.

all you need to do is drag that one icon into your applications folder and drop it in. the rest will happen by itself. easy breezy.

ive put my applications folder on my dock so i can just drag programs to the bottom of my screen and drop them in.

ok guys, it IS different than a PC but not difficult at all.

when you open the dmg file, at the end of the installation, you should see something that tells you to drag that icon into your applications folder.

all you need to do is drag that one icon into your applications folder and drop it in. the rest will happen by itself. easy breezy.

ive put my applications folder on my dock so i can just drag programs to the bottom of my screen and drop them in.

Unless the DMG contains an application to install - use that instead of dragging, as its likely creating files/folders outside of the Application bundle.

Unless the DMG contains an application to install - use that instead of dragging, as its likely creating files/folders outside of the Application bundle.

right, maybe i was a step ahead. after you open/run the dmg, it will expand an install file. when THAT install file is done, then drop the icon at the end to your applications folder.

alright, i think everyone shoulod be thoroughly confused by now. my work here is done. :thumbsup:

This movie cannot open.

Try VLC media player. It works for most things that quicktime won't play.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Try VLC media player. It works for most things that quicktime won't play.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

thats what i was originally going to post. but then i saw that he doesnt know how to install it, so downloading it might not do any good right now :thumbsup:

baby steps...

but yes, VLC is the BEST player out there. it just works.

sounds like the mpeg file is corrupt. quicktime should play it with no problems.

thats what i was originally going to post. but then i saw that he doesnt know how to install it, so downloading it might not do any good right now :thumbsup:

baby steps...

but yes, VLC is the BEST player out there. it just works.

wtf? because you can't type "Drag the file into your Applications directory"?

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microso...ives/141821.asp

small snippet from Bill himself....

What is there? The following garbage is there. Microsoft Autoupdate Exclusive test package, Microsoft Autoupdate Reboot test package, Microsoft Autoupdate testpackage1. Microsoft AUtoupdate testpackage2, Microsoft Autoupdate Test package3.

Someone decided to trash the one part of Windows that was usable? The file system is no longer usable. The registry is not usable. This program listing was one sane place but now it is all crapped up.

But that is just the start of the crap. Later I have listed things like Windows XP Hotfix see Q329048 for more information. What is Q329048? Why are these series of patches listed here? Some of the patches just things like Q810655 instead of saying see Q329048 for more information.

What an absolute mess.

Moviemaker is just not there at all.

So I give up on Moviemaker and decide to download the Digital Plus Package.

I get told I need to go enter a bunch of information about myself.

I enter it all in and because it decides I have mistyped something I have to try again. Of course it has cleared out most of what I typed.

I try (typing) the right stuff in 5 times and it just keeps clearing things out for me to type them in again.

So after more than an hour of craziness and making my programs list garbage and being scared and seeing that Microsoft.com is a terrible website I haven't run Moviemaker and I haven't got the plus package.

The lack of attention to usability represented by these experiences blows my mind. I thought we had reached a low with Windows Network places or the messages I get when I try to use 802.11. (don't you just love that root certificate message?)

Thanks for all your help!

Now one more question please- can I load this file on Itunes? I can play it with the VLC player but cannot figure if there is a way to add to ITunes. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all your help!

Now one more question please- can I load this file on Itunes? I can play it with the VLC player but cannot figure if there is a way to add to ITunes. Thanks in advance!

In iTunes, try File-->Add to Library.