Butler signs contract extension

Dan III

unless he has to move to LT,

if Peters continues his holdout or gets injured (more likely due to his holdout)

No one has a darker cloud over their head than you do.

Regarding Peters holding out, I suggest you take faith in some smart words from Pat Kirwan: Money is undefeated in the NFL.

Peters ain't holding out any more than Chad Johnson, Brian Urlacher, or any other whinyass bitttch at this time of year.

But if you need something else to worry about, Peters is about as good as anything else you can create.

Except if he pulls a Peters and goes to the Pro Bowl and wants more money.

I wonder why teams can't create contracts with players that has some kinda 're-structure' clause.

A high-priced player contract can have built-in yearly bonuses(received even if cut).

Yet teams can't make certain players lock themselves into thier own contract(exp=j.peters). WTF.

Pardon the booze

I'm glad to see this get done. When Jason Whittle went down last year, I was so afraid that Duke Preston would be our RG. I was stunned when they gave the job to Butler, considering that he was only in his 2nd year and played sparsely as a rookie.

Yet he went in there and showed he was up to the task. Congratulations Brad. :thumbsup:

And just to show you how far removed I am from OL play nowadays....I was really suprised when they released Aaron Merz.....who I thought we might have had at the least a quality backup player with.

I actually like our OL (with Peters back) and Whittle provides good versitile insurance at some different positions.

Merz got released because he never fully recovered from whatever injury he had.

With Butler getting this raise, I have to billieve it means the Bills are close to a deal with Peters. Otherwise, this would only further madden Peters. I am quite confident the team will make Peters happy before training camp.

I'm glad to see this get done. When Jason Whittle went down last year, I was so afraid that Duke Preston would be our RG.

Isn't it amazing that you have to do a double take to remember that he's still on the roster. But hey, you can never have enough linemen on a team, right?

My favorite thing about Butler is his motor. I know that is usually saved for white guys that get stood up at the line, but Butler literally plays from whistle to whistle. You will often find him pushing the pile at the end of every run play.

It is always a great thing for a team when a player drafted in lower rounds is able to play well. It saves the team a ton of cash, at the very least in the short term. Locking up a kid like Butler was a very smart move.

Besides, he brings his "lunch pail" to work every day! :thumbsup:

This is great. I love signing the young, unheralded guys to long-term deals. May as well take care of Butler now than waiting until next season when he's in a contract year with two full season's as a starter under his belt.

Giving long-term contracts early to guys with good potential always works well.

See Peters, Jason.

Besides, he brings his "lunch pail" to work every day! :thumbsup:

You give me a team of 53 Brad Butler's and I'll show you a championship, haha

Giving long-term contracts early to guys with good potential always works well.

See Peters, Jason.

Well, just because that happens with one player doesn't mean it isn't a good strategy. Peters can be unhappy, but he wasn't unhappy when he signed his original deal. It is definitely a good move.

Absolutely. 3-deep at each position is how I'd attack it. I'm looking forward to drafting safeties in each of the first four rounds in 2009.

Well, there is something to that. If the first 2 lines of defense are bad and the offense is 3-and-out prone, then your safeties are going to be on the field all day making tons of tackles. As they are safeties, they aren't huge guys, so they'll eventually get blown up and you'll have to have 8 or 9 of them, maybe even bringing in street free agents by the end of the year to fill in the holes.

:thumbsup:

Now the O-Line only needs two more things and they will be ready to move up to elite status. We need to make sure that Peters gets that big extension, and we need to sign a bigger center. Fowler could be a good solid backup for us, but he is the weak link in terms of getting pushed around and not being able to hold up blocks. He's just not big enough to hold against those big DTs coming through the middle.

Peters does not need the extension now for he has three years left on contract and has not been in voluntary or mandatory camp. If he gets an extension now in two years he may be holding out again.