It's the End of the World As We Know It

/dev/null

For the record, the mayan calendar doesn't "end" on 12/21/2012 per se. That date is the day is when this cycle of the Mayan calendar ends and a new one begins. Their calendar is circular and operates on a 5,125 year cycle. On 12/21/2012, the calendar effectively resets at 0, and the 5,000 year cycle is complete. They dont actually say the world is going to end. This age that we are in now will end and the next one will begin.

Also on that day, the sun and earth are in exact alignment with the center of the galaxy, and the solar system ecliptic aligns with the galactic ecliptic. This alignment only happens every 25,000 years or so.

Does that mean the Maya are going to rise from the dead on that day?

reminds me of a line from Young Guns II:

You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game."

I shall finish the game, Doc.

Excellent use of a movie quote!

reminds me of a line from Young Guns II:

You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game."

I shall finish the game, Doc.

Amen. :P

Young Guns and Young Guns II are right at the top of my cheesy movie guilty pleasure list.

Does that mean the Maya are going to rise from the dead on that day?

And if the Mayans were so good at prediciting the future, why weren't they prepared for their slaughter and demise.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking the best way to survive the apocalypse involves a suite at the Palms in Vegas, as much booze as I can drink and a few hookers.

hookers?

He if it's the end of the world i sure hope girls will have fun fo free! No way i go to Hell my credit card in debt!