It's the End of the World As We Know It

/dev/null

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands, June 23 (UPI) -- Thousands of people in the Netherlands say they expect the world to end in 2012, and many say they are taking precautions to prepare for the apocalypse.

De Volkskrant said many of those interviewed are stocking up on emergency supplies, including life rafts and other equipment.

I was gonna ask exactly what 'precautions' one takes to prepare for the apocalypse, but fortunately my question was answered later in the article. Good thing the wrath of God is no match for a solid life raft! :P

I was gonna ask exactly what 'precautions' one takes to prepare for the apocalypse, but fortunately my question was answered later in the article. Good thing the wrath of God is no match for a solid life raft! :P

Maybe if they inflate them with nitrogen instead of compressed air... :lol:

'Fan in San Diego' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:50 AM' post='1062508']

here is a real end of the world story

But Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., committee chairman, said, "Dr. Hansen was right. Twenty years later, we recognize him as a climate prophet."

All bow down to worship at the Church of Global WarmingTM:P

For the record, the mayan calendar doesn't "end" on 12/21/2012 per se. That date is the day is when this cycle of the Mayan calendar ends and a new one begins. Their calendar is circular and operates on a 5,125 year cycle. On 12/21/2012, the calendar effectively resets at 0, and the 5,000 year cycle is complete. They dont actually say the world is going to end. This age that we are in now will end and the next one will begin.

Also on that day, the sun and earth are in exact alignment with the center of the galaxy, and the solar system ecliptic aligns with the galactic ecliptic. This alignment only happens every 25,000 years or so.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/06/23/Man...40461214263554/

Wonder how many more of these nutjobs are going to popup in the next 4 and a half years :P

Will they drink the Kool Aid at the deadline?

If so, I'm a supporter--those people are the real environmentalists. If we could get rid of a billion or so of the right people, our energy and food woes would be over for a while.

I was thinking the same thing, Do people really believe they will be able to survive the apocalypse? Or that anything man made will be able to protect them from impending devistation of the world?

Also, why would you want to continue living after the world is destroyed, only to end up going insane or end up dying a slow death after all the food is wiped out, and the world is destroyed?

Will they drink the Kool Aid at the deadline?

If so, I'm a supporter--those people are the real environmentalists. If we could get rid of a billion or so of the right people, our energy and food woes would be over for a while.

I hope its Grape Kool-Aid, I love that stuff

For the record, the mayan calendar doesn't "end" on 12/21/2012 per se. That date is the day is when this cycle of the Mayan calendar ends and a new one begins. Their calendar is circular and operates on a 5,125 year cycle. On 12/21/2012, the calendar effectively resets at 0, and the 5,000 year cycle is complete. They dont actually say the world is going to end. This age that we are in now will end and the next one will begin.

Also on that day, the sun and earth are in exact alignment with the center of the galaxy, and the solar system ecliptic aligns with the galactic ecliptic. This alignment only happens every 25,000 years or so.

I knew most of the above, but as to the bold part, seriously? How odd.

What a classic quote from that article...

"You know, maybe it's really not that bad that the Netherlands will be destroyed," Petra Faile said. "I don't like it here anymore. Take immigration, for example. They keep letting people in. And then we have to build more houses, which makes the Netherlands even heavier. The country will sink even lower, which will make the flooding worse."

I knew most of the above, but as to the bold part, seriously? How odd.

What Ramius said is correct

And if you think about it, it's not really that odd. The Mayan's based their calander (more accurate than our calander btw) off their astronomical observations

I was thinking the same thing, Do people really believe they will be able to survive the apocalypse? Or that anything man made will be able to protect them from impending devistation of the world?

Also, why would you want to continue living after the world is destroyed, only to end up going insane or end up dying a slow death after all the food is wiped out, and the world is destroyed?

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking the best way to survive the apocalypse involves a suite at the Palms in Vegas, as much booze as I can drink and a few hookers.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking the best way to survive the apocalypse involves a suite at the Palms in Vegas, as much booze as I can drink and a few hookers.

reminds me of a line from Young Guns II:

You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game."

I shall finish the game, Doc.