Dolphins play in the GHETTO

BLZFAN4LIFE

I just got back from a Florida/Bahamas vacation which began in Miami. I went to Calder race course which is right next to Dolphins Stadium. Stayed at a hotel called El Palacio which overlooks Calder. I was quite surprised when I got there to discover that the area is nothing more than a third world ghetto. I'm talking about beggars on the street corners, houses with the doors and windows barred, police cruisers parked on every other block, and dominos pizza has it's employees behind bullet -proof glass. This clearly has to be the worst location of any stadium in the league.

I went to the 2004 Orange Bowl there (FSU - Miami) and felt pretty much the same thing - we stayed about 15 minutes away from the stadium, so it was a nice "in-between" area between the crappy area around the stadium and the nicer beachfront areas -- but I couldn't believe how crappy the neighborhoods around the stadium were, how dirty and poor everything looked. I don't think I'd go back, especially not for a night game -- unless it was for a Bills Super Bowl or a NCAA National Championship...

I just got back from a Florida/Bahamas vacation which began in Miami. I went to Calder race course which is right next to Dolphins Stadium. Stayed at a hotel called El Palacio which overlooks Calder. I was quite surprised when I got there to discover that the area is nothing more than a third world ghetto. I'm talking about beggars on the street corners, houses with the doors and windows barred, police cruisers parked on every other block, and dominos pizza has it's employees behind bullet -proof glass. This clearly has to be the worst location of any stadium in the league.

Did you enjoy the Turnpike Traffic while trying to sleep?

That place gets some action because they are about $30-50 cheaper than the chain places. It isn't quite as bad as you say, but it isn't Orchard Park. I'm guessing the beggars you saw near the hotel were selling newspapers at the corner of University. I don't know why, but Florida makes it legal to sell things in the middle of freaking 10 lane highways.

My Dr. is across the street from the old Orange Bowl. That is in the heart of Little Havanna. I was a 21 year old white boy when I started going to him while everyone else in the waiting room was 75 and Cuban.

In reality, the Miami everyone thinks of is just a 25 block stretch of beach. Other than that it is 80% Latino and Carribean and not the most glamorous place.

I live in South Florida and go to Miami every chance I get. Buffalo is a way better place to come visit, but being less than an hour from Miami if I have the chance to go down to Collins Ave. I'm not going to pass it up. It is pretty run down in a lot of parts, but just like WNY is really nice in a lot of other parts.

As for Turnpike traffic, its not half as bad as the traffic once you actually get into Miami, driving in that crap is stupid. The worst drivers I have ever seen were in Miami.

And for the night life down there, walking around there not quite sober wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. Especially with my good friend Jessica, who is a pretty good looking chick, I was shocked that no one actually ran their mouths the entire week and a half I was there and in the keys.

And for the night life down there, walking around there not quite sober wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. Especially with my good friend Jessica, who is a pretty good looking chick, I was shocked that no one actually ran their mouths the entire week and a half I was there and in the keys.

It is because they are all gay down there... :blink:

just read my sig... this years SB thread was great, but unfortunately lost in the crash.

I've been to Miami. Parts of the beachfront along Collins Avenue are getting a bit run down, too.

It's known for one thing: year-round warm weather. Otherwise, what do you have? A southern, coastal version of Detroit.

Anyone from South Florida who makes fun of Buffalo has some balls. Unless you have $$$$ and live near the ocean, you're talking Third World malaria pit.

PTR

Your way off pal. I live in Broward county, Plantation to be exact, and while i dont argue that most of Miami is a sh--hole not all of South Florida is the same.

Dont make retarded statements based on 1 city. Besides I dont know where you live but where ever you go theres goign to be a beautiful side of town and a ghetto along the way.

Hows life in Pleasantville?

Miami has some incredibly beautiful areas. And some incredibly schitty areas. See also: Anytown, USA

LA has the Promenade in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills and Rodeo Dr. They also have Watts and Crenshaw. Have you ever walked 3 blocks from the LA Coliseum?

Washington, DC has the mall and the monuments, which are gorgeous. Last time I was there, this past April, I also walked right past a bum squatting and taking a shiit on the sidewalk.

There are LARGE sections of Buffalo where $5000 could buy you ANY house you wanted.

I find it hard to believe that a 70,000 seat stadium and a thoroughbred racetrack weren't allocated oceanfront land in the best part of town. :blink:

And it begins....

How about hte west side, even worse. My father grew up on Arkansas street and it was great to visit my grandmother when I was younger early (80's). Now i wouldnt go through that hell hole with a machine gun.

How about hte west side, even worse. My father grew up on Arkansas street and it was great to visit my grandmother when I was younger early (80's). Now i wouldnt go through that hell hole with a machine gun.

14 posts to turn Miami bashing into Buffalo bashing, this board is really slipping. :blink:

Miami has some incredibly beautiful areas. And some incredibly schitty areas. See also: Anytown, USA

LA has the Promenade in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills and Rodeo Dr. They also have Watts and Crenshaw. Have you ever walked 3 blocks from the LA Coliseum?

Washington, DC has the mall and the monuments, which are gorgeous. Last time I was there, this past April, I also walked right past a bum squatting and taking a shiit on the sidewalk.

There are LARGE sections of Buffalo where $5000 could buy you ANY house you wanted.

I find it hard to believe that a 70,000 seat stadium and a thoroughbred racetrack weren't allocated oceanfront land in the best part of town. :D

Bingo.

I live in a suburb of Miami called Pinecrest. It is Miami's version of Amherst/Williamsville (where I grew up and where my mom still lives in the house I grew up in). In fact, our police chief is from Buffalo.

Miami has some great areas and some not so great areas -- just like everywhere else.

As an aside, when I was growing up in Buffalo and watched Bills/Dolphins games in the Orange Bowl on tv, I thought that the Orange Bowl was on the beach. You may recall the palm trees in the end zone. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Orange Bowl, which was just torn down, was in an area nothing like Miami Beach.

Miami has both unbelievable wealth and extreme poverty. There are areas in which I would never drive and there are areas that are absolutely gorgeous.