ESPN and NFL Network Partnership?

MattyT

I am kind of conflicted by this. On the one hand, as someone who can't get the NFL Network, and has no desire to go with satallite, I am delighted that this makes cable availability more likely. On the negative side, I dread it becoming another ESPN production. ESPN has stripped a lot of enjoyment of sports for me over the last few years. I appreciate some of what they do, but I also feel like they are forcing me to view sports in a way I don't want to view them...the NFL, as a corporate entity is hard enough to love, I fear such a large partnership with ESPN might only pronounce the bad feelings I have for each of these bohemoths...

Now if they could only come to some arrangement whereby the NFL TICKET could be available on cable. Not very likely

Won't happen. DIRECTV owns the rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket until 2010.

has no desire to go with satallite

Just out of curiosity, why do you have no desire to go to satellite?? I had cable for years, but now that I have DirecTv, there's no way in hell I'll ever go back.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have no desire to go to satellite?? I had cable for years, but now that I have DirecTv, there's no way in hell I'll ever go back.

Don't want to get too into it, because this thread will turn into a Direct TV blow fest, but I think it is a pain in the ass, compared to cable. Even if I wanted it, now, I could not have it where I live. A dish is prohibiited in on our apartment, so, unless they can figure out a way for you to get a signal, inside, it is not an option.

I had Direct TV, for about a year and a half, years ago, and thought the service was terrible, and the technical difficulties were frequent. It sounds as those the service varies from area to area, but I have a friend who currently has it, here in Austin. He is a huge Vikings fan, and tells me that he rarely goes through a Sunday of football, without his dish going out for a stretch or two. The one season I had Direct TV, and the the NFL Ticket, weather caused our dish to go out for two different Sundays, all day.

I like that Direct TV has the NFL Ticket, but I don't think anyone (including Fez) can convince me that it is a better product than digitile cable...but I am sure they will try...

Don't want to get too into it, because this thread will turn into a Direct TV blow fest, but I think it is a pain in the ass, compared to cable. Even if I wanted it, now, I could not have it where I live. A dish is prohibiited in on our apartment, so, unless they can figure out a way for you to get a signal, inside, it is not an option.

I had Direct TV, for about a year and a half, years ago, and thought the service was terrible, and the technical difficulties were frequent. It sounds as those the service varies from area to area, but I have a friend who currently has it, here in Austin. He is a huge Vikings fan, and tells me that he rarely goes through a Sunday of football, without his dish going out for a stretch or two. The one season I had Direct TV, and the the NFL Ticket, weather caused our dish to go out for two different Sundays, all day.

I like that Direct TV has the NFL Ticket, but I don't think anyone (including Fez) can convince me that it is a better product than digitile cable...but I am sure they will try...

I'm pretty sure that I'm of the opinion that it comes down to the installer. I had DTV briefly just after I got married and we bought a house. It didn't seem to take a whole lot to make the picture go out, and sometimes it was out for hours. Where I'm at now, the guy seemed to know a bit more about what he was doing, and aside from a very brief few mins where a few of the HD channels went out (it was hailing outside, and the SD channels remained viewable), it's been perfect. When installed properly, there's no way I'd ever go back to cable, but knowing a little of what it's like to go through your experience, I can understand the frustration when it doesn't work as it should. Cable would probably be more appealing to me in that situation, too.