Would appreciate some help buying throwback jersey

I was surprized to learn recently that my order for a throwback jersey featuring my favorite player was denied at the teams official store. I was told that because a former player with that name wore that number, they aren't allowed to make/reproduce it for sale. I said 'C'mon! This franchise has been around for 49 years. Almost countless players have played for the team wearing virtually every number! If this silly rule were followed diligently, you'd be out of the customized jersey business!" "I'm sorry sir, that's the rules we must follow." "Fine, I'll just take the jersey with the number and no name." -as I have read here about places fans can go to get new names put on old jerseys from past players. "No sir, we can't do that either." was the reply. They refunded my purchase.

OK, probably she/they wouldn't do that because it was obvious of my intention with the nameless numbered jersey. Undaunted, I want the jersey. Are there other 'official' websites that will honor such a request? If it takes top dollar -which I suspect is behind this- then I'm willing to pay in the $300.00 range. If not, can someone with the skills here resurrect a thread about places that do a good job of altering altered jerseys?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Guess the jersey :lol:

That's weird... I got a new Away Kelly #12 jersey two years ago. Kind of a reverse throwback, bringing Kelly to the present.

I ordered it off of NFL.com and never had any trouble with it being a former player. I wonder if this is a new rule.

I was surprized to learn recently that my order for a throwback jersey featuring my favorite player was denied at the teams official store. I was told that because a former player with that name wore that number, they aren't allowed to make/reproduce it for sale. I said 'C'mon! This franchise has been around for 49 years. Almost countless players have played for the team wearing virtually every number! If this silly rule were followed diligently, you'd be out of the customized jersey business!" "I'm sorry sir, that's the rules we must follow." "Fine, I'll just take the jersey with the number and no name." -as I have read here about places fans can go to get new names put on old jerseys from past players. "No sir, we can't do that either." was the reply. They refunded my purchase.

OK, probably she/they wouldn't do that because it was obvious of my intention with the nameless numbered jersey. Undaunted, I want the jersey. Are there other 'official' websites that will honor such a request? If it takes top dollar -which I suspect is behind this- then I'm willing to pay in the $300.00 range. If not, can someone with the skills here resurrect a thread about places that do a good job of altering altered jerseys?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Guess the jersey :lol:

Surprising - turning down a buck is out of character for the both NFL and the players. :lol:

That seems to be a new trend with some companies. I think it partially stems from all of the people wanting to order Michael Vick jersey's with the name Ron Mexico on it.

That seems to be a new trend with some companies. I think it partially stems from all of the people wanting to order Michael Vick jersey's with the name Ron Mexico on it.

Interesting that chandler#81 mentions the Player's Union. There was an item in the papers last year, about the NCAA making some noises about using college player's names and images as a marketing tool, and the opposition to such - a person's name and image belongs to the person, not to be used without express permission.

Obscure fact:

Former 2nd baseman, HOF member Joe Morgan got a trademark on the phrase, "The Big Red Machine". Much to the chagrin of the Reds - they can't use it unless they want to fork over $$$ to Morgan. :lol:

Interesting that chandler#81 mentions the Player's Union. There was an item in the papers last year, about the NCAA making some noises about using college player's names and images as a marketing tool, and the opposition to such - a person's name and image belongs to the person, not to be used without express permission.

Yes, she specifically said the Players Union rule is behind their inability to make these. I countered that I had purchased another teams' jersey of an HOFer a few years back that had my same last name -the purpose of the purchase. All she could do is apologize now. KRC's post is a likely contributor, me thinks..

Yes, she specifically said the Players Union rule is behind their inability to make these. I countered that I had purchased another teams' jersey of an HOFer a few years back that had my same last name -the purpose of the purchase. All she could do is apologize now. KRC's post is a likely contributor, me thinks..

I could understand not letting you use the name... but I can't believe they wouldn't sell you the jersey with just the number. That doesn't make much sense that the Players Union somehow has jurisdiction over a players number.

That's weird... I got a new Away Kelly #12 jersey two years ago. Kind of a reverse throwback, bringing Kelly to the present.

I ordered it off of NFL.com and never had any trouble with it being a former player. I wonder if this is a new rule.

Kelly is one of the few ex-players who has an agreement with the union to produce jerseys.

I tried to order an ex-player authentic 2 years ago and got the same BS. My Dad called up and tried to order the same player jersey for me and must have had a sales rep that was new because they made the jersey and shipped it out. It was not authentic though, it was the replica version that you can get any name and # printed on. I would keep trying, maybe you will get a rep that does not know who Chandler is!

Nope, not a new rule. They told me the same thing when I tried to order a Conlan shirt. Here's what the NFLShop rules say: Retired player names cannot be printed on the team's jersey from which they retired. Why? Some of the retirees are suing the NFLPA for royalties on their names/images -- Ex-NFL Players Can Sue Union -- because most of them apparently never got the licensing fees they were promised. Guys like Kelly and Thomas must have signed a separate contract to allow the use of their names/numbers by Mitchell and Ness and other throwback manufacturers; remember, Kelly (and the other QB Club members) once broke away from the NFLPA's group licensing program to make a lucrative deal with NFL Properties.

Now, Bobby C. retired as a Raider, Conlan a Ram, but I imagine they'd argue that the rule applies to every team those players were on. Might be worth a phone call to check it out, though. Trouble is, if you want a throwback, NFLShop only has replicas available.

My other thought? As Falstaff said, get a Hardy jersey and find someone to do a new nameplate. That way, the Bills/NFL never have to know ...

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Guess the jersey ;)

Have you tried Mitchell and Ness?

http://www.mitchellandness.com/Departments...falo-Bills.aspx

Just be careful with eBay "authentics"... some of them are knockoffs. A friend of mine bought a Home Poz authentic and the Blue color is so far off its funny. His dark Navy Home is closer to the Bills throwback royal blue. Other than that the stitching and everything is fine, but he got what he payed for.

I'd make sure the seller has a decent rating or you could be getting screwed.

ebay is a good bet otherwise...i got an authentic lynch throwback on there for 50 bucks...and it came with all the tags and everything

99% of the jerseys sold on ebay are fakes. fake tags included.

That's odd. I ordered and received my Chandler #81 Throwback jersey last year from BB.com. No questions asked.

Edit: Unless we're only talking about authentic jerseys here. I'm a little confused.

99% of the jerseys sold on ebay are fakes. fake tags included.

your prob right...but i guarantee you woudlnt know it if you saw the one i got!...so for the price whether its fake or not i dunno and i wont complain!...neither me nor anybody i know has noticed anythign shady at all about it....so all in all i guess its hit or miss