Question about oil

Us old timers remember the gas lines of the 70's when gas cost an astronomical $1 a gallon!!! Now gas is $4 a gallon and we're told that it's due to low supplies. But I have not seen one line for gas. I have not seen any gas stations run out of gas. And here's something else: why hasn't motor oil gone up as much as gas? Isn't that oil too?

Just pondering.

PTR

Us old timers remember the gas lines of the 70's when gas cost an astronomical $1 a gallon!!! Now gas is $4 a gallon and we're told that it's due to low supplies. But I have not seen one line for gas. I have not seen any gas stations run out of gas. And here's something else: why hasn't motor oil gone up as much as gas? Isn't that oil too?

Just pondering.

PTR

The refining process for gasoline and motor oil are vastly different. There is no comparison in volume, either.

You would have to be living in a cave to have not to have read the non-stop articles that discuss the factors that affect retail gasoline pricing.

Promo - go and read! :blink:

I think because the only person who has been telling you there is a shortage is George Bush.

I haven't heard anything about a shortage...most of the reasons I've heard are a weak dollar and lots of money flowing into commodities markets because its not performing in stocks.

I'm not an expert in financial advice, but I tend to agree with you that this Oil boom is no different than the tech/internet boom of the 90's. The smart money will be out of oil soon enough, and all the followers who jumped on late and listened to all the hype of the media will be left with empty financial accounts. As soon as the fed begins to raise rates... watch out. An amazing time to buy stocks if you're in it for the long haul, there are so many great buys out there.

I agree. There seems to be a lot of speculation in oil. We just had the Internet boom, followed by the housing boom. Now we have the oil boom. 2 of those 3 bubbles have burst.

We've just been getting prepped for the call for new drilling. it's easier to argue against it when you aren';t feeling the pain. Magically when prices start to hurt the people the people are less concerned about the envirnment. Watch these bills sail through Congress. I'm not sayign they shouldn't, I'm just saying there was some groundwork to be laid.

Consider yourselves prepped.