Tim Russert's books for sale on front page

SDS

I was thinking that with the interest in Tim due to his untimely passing that many people may be buying his books. What do you guys think about setting up links on the front page to buy the books from and TBD will donate 150% of the profit to the AHA or some other heart disease related charity?

Well....

A couple things.

1) I know alot of people shell out some money every year to keep this board rolling. Although I have not been one of these in the past (this will change next time around), I would question whether they would appreciate some of their money being paid out to a charity not of their choosing (by paying 150% of the profits vice 100% of the profits).

2) This is a Buffalo Bills board. Tim Russert was one of the biggest bills fans around. Perhaps the profits should be donated to Hunters Hope (or some other bills related charity).

I really dont think its in bad taste at all. I would even support a portion of the profits to go and support this board...but I may be in the minority there.

Everybody's input is welcome, mead.

I like the idea. Like it a lot. Would TJR rather have seen the profits go to the charities listed on his site, though? Some people might be uncomfortable supporting Catholic Charities, but there shouldn't be any issues with the Boys & Girls Club of America.

Either option -- the one you suggested, or the B&GC -- is cool with me. One more thought? Whatever you choose, since Tim was all about Buffalo, I'd lean toward donating to the local chapters instead of the national organizations. Less overhead = more of the donation actually going to the people you're trying to help.

That would be:

American Heart Association - WNY Region

or

Boys & Girls Clubs of Buffalo

Well....

A couple things.

1) I know alot of people shell out some money every year to keep this board rolling. Although I have not been one of these in the past (this will change next time around), I would question whether they would appreciate some of their money being paid out to a charity not of their choosing (by paying 150% of the profits vice 100% of the profits).

2) This is a Buffalo Bills board. Tim Russert was one of the biggest bills fans around. Perhaps the profits should be donated to Hunters Hope (or some other bills related charity).

I really dont think its in bad taste at all. I would even support a portion of the profits to go and support this board...but I may be in the minority there.

I think it has more to due with the fact that Russert died from chronic heart disease. I think it would be a sort of slap to him and his family if the money went to Hunter's Hope (taking nothing away from that charity mind you). If someone doesn't want "their" money to go the the AHA then don't buy the book here. I think it's a good idea.

Well....

A couple things.

The extra 50% is out of my pocket.

Depending whether it is hard cover or paperback - it would be about 50 cents/book, plus what I kick in. It may not amount to much, but if people are going to buy the books, then why not let Amazon make a charitable contribution no matter how big or small?

I think it has more to due with the fact that Russert died from chronic heart disease. I think it would be a sort of slap to him and his family if the money went to Hunter's Hope (taking nothing away from that charity mind you). If someone doesn't want "their" money to go the the AHA then don't buy the book here. I think it's a good idea.

yeah, what the Chef said... :rolleyes:

ok, I put the links up on the right hand column. Note that you can buy the hard cover or other forms of the book by clicking on the links on the paperback page towards the middle of the page.

I hope this turns out well!

We can make a final determination of the charity later, but I agree with Lori that a local chapter of whatever is decided would be a better selection.

Scott, when I click on the link in the right-hand column on the front page of TBD, it brings me to this thread. How do I actually purchase one of the books?

Just click on the book or the button that says "Buy from Amazon".

Just click on the book or the button that says "Buy from Amazon".

Perhaps I'm an idiot, but I see no such link on the TBD front page I pull up on my browser (Firefox). I've cleared my cache, restarted the browser -- nada. Just the link back to this thread.

Perhaps I'm an idiot, but I see no such link on the TBD front page I pull up on my browser (Firefox). I've cleared my cache, restarted the browser -- nada. Just the link back to this thread.

do you see a picture of his book? Is your browser set somehow to block iframes?

I was thinking that with the interest in Tim due to his untimely passing that many people may be buying his books. What do you guys think about setting up links on the front page to buy the books from and TBD will donate 150% of the profit to the AHA or some other heart disease related charity?

Well, the hardcover editions are on backorder from Amazon.

It's a pretty safe bet that Tim will be #'s 1 & 2 on the next NY Times Bestseller list.

If it were possible to tell the young man growing up in South Buffalo he'd one day have the top spots on the NY Times list, he'd have thought they were crazy. What a country!

So many negatives associated with our blue collar hometown - long cold winters, poor economy, wide right, no goal, OJ, McVeigh, etc....But, we'll always have Tim to be proud of.