Dicaprio for Captain america?

K-Gun10

Dammit Bullpen, you would make a better Captain America than that mealy mouthed crybaby SOB.

In the immortal words of Inspector Todd of the Detroit Police Department:

"You damn right wise a$$!"

But the question is Mr Beer Sphere, would you be interested in playing the part of Capt. America's sidekick Bucky for me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky

Now, I wouldn't recommend wandering around the hills and dales of WNY telling people you're "Bucky" what with all the stuff Mr. Phillips stirred up a couple years ago, but I digress.

So whaddya say? You wanna be Bucky or not?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the immortal words of Inspector Todd of the Detroit Police Department:

"You damn right wise a$$!"

But the question is Mr Beer Sphere, would you be interested in playing the part of Capt. America's sidekick Bucky for me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky

Now, I wouldn't recommend wandering around the hills and dales of WNY telling people you're "Bucky" what with all the stuff Mr. Phillips stirred up a couple years ago, but I digress.

So whaddya say? You wanna be Bucky or not?

Do I get to keep the uni?

Well heck yeah you get to keep the uni! I suspect you would look quite fetching wandering around the bars and bingo halls of Irving with that fancy outfit on!

It's all tight and shiny! I do have the legs to pull off the leotard look. :blink:

Marvel is going to have a problem casting this for several reasons:

1. How can you pull off Captain America without it feeling like blatant propaganda -- which is how the comic started in the first place? In order to counter that, they're going to have to go dark and disillusioned. Especially if they do the whole re-animated from WW2 angle.

2. If they really are going to release Captain America in May of 2011, then the first Avengers movie in July of the same year (where Captain America is the leader ...), they're going to need a star who can stand toe-to-toe with Downey Jr (who will have had another Iron Man hit under his belt by then) and Sam Jackson. All this without killing the budget.

So it makes sense that they'd go for Leo or Damon. But I doubt either will do it. I actually think a good fit would be Josh Lucas (who can do action and dark) -- but he's not big enough to open a movie.

They shouldn't pigeonhole themselves into making him caucasian, for one thing. They've already shown a willingness to deviate from form with Jackson. I see no reason why they couldn't do the same thing with this character.

They shouldn't pigeonhole themselves into making him caucasian, for one thing. They've already shown a willingness to deviate from form with Jackson. I see no reason why they couldn't do the same thing with this character.

but Nick Fury was changed in Ultimate Marvel and was basically modeled after Samuel L.

completely changing the character with no comic book backing would ruin the movie, and possibly the entire franchise.

nothing against the black super heroes, of course.

but Nick Fury was changed in Ultimate Marvel and was basically modeled after Samuel L.

completely changing the character with no comic book backing would ruin the movie, and possibly the entire franchise.

nothing against the black super heroes, of course.

So it's okay to have Jackson in the role of Nick Fury, a traditionally white comic book character, because they put out an issue three years ago with a remodeled Fury, but it would completely change Captain America and ruin the movie to have a non-caucasian in the role because Marvel hasn't remodeled the character in a comic book form yet? That would ruin the franchise? You can't be serious.

So it's okay to have Jackson in the role of Nick Fury, a traditionally white comic book character, because they put out an issue three years ago with a remodeled Fury, but it would completely change Captain America and ruin the movie to have a non-caucasian in the role because Marvel hasn't remodeled the character in a comic book form yet? That would ruin the franchise? You can't be serious.

hey, im not saying it would ruin it for me. but people (read:nerds) who are really into comics are sticklers about the comic books being the basis for the storylines. Just like with Star Wars. Lucas says what happens in the movies is the first line of "fact", then the old radio broadcasts, then the fan fiction.

this isnt about race, its about the drastic change. its about keeping it as true to the comics as possible.

is it a HUGE deal? no.

is it a big enough change that all the fanboys would flip out and probably tank the movie? maybe, probably more yes than no.

and with it already being a difficult enough project to pull of, I think thrusting that much change into the movie would completely flush it down the crapper. whether its changing his race or whatever.

hey, im not saying it would ruin it for me. but people (read:nerds) who are really into comics are sticklers about the comic books being the basis for the storylines. Just like with Star Wars. Lucas says what happens in the movies is the first line of "fact", then the old radio broadcasts, then the fan fiction.

this isnt about race, its about the drastic change. its about keeping it as true to the comics as possible.

is it a HUGE deal? no.

is it a big enough change that all the fanboys would flip out and probably tank the movie? maybe, probably more yes than no.

and with it already being a difficult enough project to pull of, I think thrusting that much change into the movie would completely flush it down the crapper. whether its changing his race or whatever.

I don't think it would have an impact at all, really, other than to generate a buzz for the movie. BSG cast a woman in the role of Starbuck, and it was considered groundbreaking. If it's that big of a deal, then Marvel can do what they did with Jackson, and remodel the character in a new issue. It would probably save the film, as I don't think people are going to be clamoring to go see a blond-haired, blue-eyed white guy named Captain America, without being skeptical of it being a two hour pro-USA propaganda film. I know I won't.

I don't think it would have an impact at all, really, other than to generate a buzz for the movie. BSG cast a woman in the role of Starbuck, and it was considered groundbreaking. If it's that big of a deal, then Marvel can do what they did with Jackson, and remodel the character in a new issue. It would probably save the film, as I don't think people are going to be clamoring to go see a blond-haired, blue-eyed white guy named Captain America, without being skeptical of it being a two hour pro-USA propaganda film. I know I won't.

There's justification for a black Nick Fury, as was stated in the Ultimate Marvel universe he's black. In the original Marvel universe he's white. But in both of those Marvel universes Cap is white. What you're asking would be like making Superman black. There's no justification for it, and too much character history to change. There are other black Marvel heroes that can be part of the story if they want (Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage).

I don't know, I feel like Captain America is a much more mainstream "iconic" character that changing his appearance drastically would piss a lot of people off and turn them off from the movie. I personally think that Nick Fury is popular more in the comics universe and but not so much in the mainstream, so changing him won't get the big general public backlash that a black CA would stir up.

Just my .02 cents...

There's justification for a black Nick Fury, as was stated in the Ultimate Marvel universe he's black. In the original Marvel universe he's white. But in both of those Marvel universes Cap is white. What you're asking would be like making Superman black. There's no justification for it, and too much character history to change. There are other black Marvel heroes that can be part of the story if they want (Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage).

:devil:

This to me is the biggest issue with having a Captain America movie. I don't envy the writer and director at all. It's a major hurdle to overcome.

The only way I see it working is if they make it really dark (like Nolan's Batmans) and have Captain America be totally disillusioned by today's America (if he's reanimated from WW2). However, the problem with that is Iron Man (the movie) was pretty light and fun. Even Hulk wasn't all that dark. So it will be a weird juxtaposition within the film universe to have this flick be dark while the others are more poppy -- especially when they put all three together. But I still think it's the only way to make the movie work.

This to me is the biggest issue with having a Captain America movie. I don't envy the writer and director at all. It's a major hurdle to overcome.

The only way I see it working is if they make it really dark (like Nolan's Batmans) and have Captain America be totally disillusioned by today's America (if he's reanimated from WW2). However, the problem with that is Iron Man (the movie) was pretty light and fun. Even Hulk wasn't all that dark. So it will be a weird juxtaposition within the film universe to have this flick be dark while the others are more poppy -- especially when they put all three together. But I still think it's the only way to make the movie work.

Of course Cap stands for the ideals of America, but he doesn't necessarily agree with the policies of the government.

Of course the other way to go with it would be to make it funny ...

In which case, I would vote for Steve Colbert as Captain America. Think of all the cross promotion you'd get?! He could just be himself as the alter ego and he already has the shield as decoration on his wall. It's brilliant!

Just imagine a serious, dramatic moment in the avengers where Downy Jr, Ed Norton and ... Steve Colbert have a heart to heart. :devil:

In which case, I would vote for Steve Colbert as Captain America. Think of all the cross promotion you'd get?! He could just be himself as the alter ego and he already has the shield as decoration on his wall. It's brilliant!

Just imagine a serious, dramatic moment in the avengers where Downy Jr, Ed Norton and ... Steve Colbert have a heart to heart. :devil:

I'm not likely to see a Captain America movie, but if Stephen Colbert was Capt. America, my butt would be in the seat, with my money in their wallets.

actually, all colbert kidding aside, that might be the way to go...

have Cap sooo out of touch with today, and struggling to find a common ground.

actually, all colbert kidding aside, that might be the way to go...

have Cap sooo out of touch with today, and struggling to find a common ground.

You're right.

And Blue is right.

Let's start a petition for Colbert to be cast as Captain America. We'll send it to Comedy Central -- he'll have a field day with that on one of his shows.

You're right.

And Blue is right.

Let's start a petition for Colbert to be cast as Captain America. We'll send it to Comedy Central -- he'll have a field day with that on one of his shows.

:lol: That would be awesome. I'm all for it.

Would you like to do the honors, since it was your idea?