Good Article from Clayton

Actually, Clayton's from just outside Pittsburgh ...

But I digress. When he assumed the coordinator's job, Schonert said certain elements of Fairchild's offense would remain in place. What Clayton (and the rest of the media present) witnessed would seem to disagree.

Tempo was one of the keys to Wyche's success. He found ways to get 11 offensive players to react more quickly than defensive players could think. He'd quick snap before defenders were set. He'd devise schemes to get defenders offside. He'd shuttle players on and off the field so he could play with the minds of defensive coaches and try to confuse an opposing defense's personnel groupings. Schonert, Buffalo's quarterbacks coach last season who was promoted after Fairchild took a head-coaching job at Colorado State, will bring a thinking man's approach to the Bills' offense.

Who better to run it than former Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards, who took over for J.P. Losman last season and started nine games? Losman will serve the final year of his contract as a backup, hoping for a trade but knowing he can leave the Bills through free agency in 2009. It's Schonert's job to take Edwards to the next level as a starter.

I would love to see that. For years this team would just lineup and play. I think a lot can be gained by subterfuge. The OC's and DC's of the past never really seemed to appreciate the value of that.

Actually, Clayton's from just outside Pittsburgh ...

But I digress. When he assumed the coordinator's job, Schonert said certain elements of Fairchild's offense would remain in place. What Clayton (and the rest of the media present) witnessed would seem to disagree.

In the last paragragh though, Clayton says "The offense will be a mix of Air Coryell and Wyche." Air Coryell is Martz/Fairchild and Wyche is, well, Wyche.

Yes, nicely done, but how does he not even mention a potentially huge piece of the offensive puzzle, James Hardy? I see JH caught a nice fade pattern TD in the corner of the EZ Thursday. Rookie or not, I think we'll be seeing that play run successfully a lot this year. :cry:

In the last paragragh though, Clayton says "The offense will be a mix of Air Coryell and Wyche." Air Coryell is Martz/Fairchild and Wyche is, well, Wyche.

Interestingly, although MadMike grew up in San Diego watching Coryell's and Sid Gillman's offenses, Wyche actually played for Coryell for a short time ...

Interestingly, although MadMike grew up in San Diego watching Coryell's and Sid Gillman's offenses, Wyche actually played for Coryell for a short time ...

Clayton I believe became big in Seattle on KJR. He still has a show on Saturdays.

Yeah I would love to see some movement. I like the idea of RP on the outside. I think his speed will be an asset there. I also agree that JR is better in the slot.

You could see this coming 2,000 miles away. It takes advantage of Edwards' biggest strength, his brain, as well as the OL's strength which is line calls and pass protection.

I was disappointed we didn't draft a sharper kid this year. I figured John Carlson would be perfect to find open area. The reason I have been so hard on Hardy off the field is that I don't see him being anything more than a Red-zone and 3rd and 3 threat this year on the field. I see Josh Reed as the leading receiver, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Freddy Jackson pushing Marshawn for total yards. I still pray we pick up an intelligent veteran WR over the summer to help the cause. If Evans goes down, we are dead in the water.

Pleased to see the new attitude. If the entire team stays healthy, Edwards is pushing for a Pro Bowl birth.

Of all the things to get excited about this off-season (as opposed to the crappy things) I am really excited about Turk taking over the offense. He sounds a little cocky, and maybe even a little arrogant at times, but I really think this teams offense has been missing anything approaching a pulse, for the last 6 seasons or so. Other than flashes of "attitude" on the field from Travis Henry and Marshawn, it seems like our offense has been stuck in the "playing not to lose" mode for too long...of course, I thought the Mularkey regime would bring an attitude too...

Marshawn Lynch, an 1,115-yard runner as a rookie, will be more of a factor in the passing offense, a plan for 2007 that never materialized. Lynch, who's as good a runner as he is a pass-catcher, caught only 18 passes as a rookie. Under Schonert, Lynch will use his hands and feet.

In all seriousness, we hear this every year before the start of the season and it never happens. I'd like for them to just come out and say, "We have no intentions of getting the running backs involved in the passing game."

Marshawn Lynch, an 1,115-yard runner as a rookie, will be more of a factor in the passing offense, a plan for 2007 that never materialized. Lynch, who's as good a runner as he is a pass-catcher, caught only 18 passes as a rookie. Under Schonert, Lynch will use his hands and feet.

In all seriousness, we hear this every year before the start of the season and it never happens. I'd like for them to just come out and say, "We have no intentions of getting the running backs involved in the passing game."

Please. :cry:

This sentence kinda threw me a curve. Does he mean the reverse? Lynch is an elite and talented running back, who happens to be really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. We definitely need to take advantage of the latter.

Faircoacheslikeachild is gone, Go Turk!

I don't post much but I read a lot on TBD. I have been pretty surprised that not much has been said about the reports on how well the O has played the last couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, last year our D, for the most part, owned the O though out OTAs and the preseason. It's nice to hear that both units are making plays this year. :wallbash:

If they keep it up, I may have to change my pessimistic ways. :wallbash:

You could see this coming 2,000 miles away. It takes advantage of Edwards' biggest strength, his brain, as well as the OL's strength which is line calls and pass protection.

I was disappointed we didn't draft a sharper kid this year. I figured John Carlson would be perfect to find open area. The reason I have been so hard on Hardy off the field is that I don't see him being anything more than a Red-zone and 3rd and 3 threat this year on the field. I see Josh Reed as the leading receiver, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Freddy Jackson pushing Marshawn for total yards. I still pray we pick up an intelligent veteran WR over the summer to help the cause. If Evans goes down, we are dead in the water.

Pleased to see the new attitude. If the entire team stays healthy, Edwards is pushing for a Pro Bowl birth.

Id rather have the playoffs :wallbash:

I don't post much but I read a lot on TBD. I have been pretty surprised that not much has been said about the reports on how well the O has played the last couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, last year our D, for the most part, owned the O though out OTAs and the preseason. It's nice to hear that both units are making plays this year. :wallbash:

If they keep it up, I may have to change my pessimistic ways. :wallbash:

Actually during OTAs John Clayton reported that not a single pass hit the ground last year

Tempo was one of the keys to Wyche's success. He found ways to get 11 offensive players to react more quickly than defensive players could think. He'd quick snap before defenders were set. He'd devise schemes to get defenders offside. He'd shuttle players on and off the field so he could play with the minds of defensive coaches and try to confuse an opposing defense's personnel groupings. Schonert, Buffalo's quarterbacks coach last season who was promoted after Fairchild took a head-coaching job at Colorado State, will bring a thinking man's approach to the Bills' offense.

Who better to run it than former Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards, who took over for J.P. Losman last season and started nine games? Losman will serve the final year of his contract as a backup, hoping for a trade but knowing he can leave the Bills through free agency in 2009. It's Schonert's job to take Edwards to the next level as a starter.

I would love to see that. For years this team would just lineup and play. I think a lot can be gained by subterfuge. The OC's and DC's of the past never really seemed to appreciate the value of that.

I don't think that's gonna happen here. Especially in today's NFL. Back then you could trust your WR to learn the system because FA didn't exist. If they wanted a job they had to really work at it. Now, you got agents running the show. It's not about character or intelligence anymore but rather how much face time you can get and how much your name is spoken in the media.

Do we have smart WR's on the roster? I think Lee may be the only one.

Esiason was no dummy and neither was Collinsworth.