Pearl Jam Last Night

Peter

I guess I missed this thread.

I saw them two fridays ago in Camden, NJ. I was always a Pearl Jam fan, but they weren't my favorite out of the STP, Soundgarden, AIC group. But having said that, they put on a GREAT show! On of the most enjoyable concerts I've been to. Some cool moments:

- About 15 minutes before the opening band came on, EV just came out by himself, no announcement, with a guitar and harmonica and played the Beatles' "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Not only was it a great opening sing-a-long type song, but it was a very cool move on his part as it got a few hundred people who were milling around to come to their seats, thereby building up a nice crowd for the opening act. Classy move.

- About half way through the show, EV comes out holding two beers and mentions how expensive they are and how he told the crowd the previous night (they played Camden twice) that if anyone would come back for the next show (ours) then he would buy the whole crowd beers. So everyone gets all crazy and starts cheering. Then he shrugs and says "But you know, they got that stupid Two Beer Per Person Limit so, um, maybe I could pass these two out and everyone can just take a sip and pass it down the aisle." Then he hands out the two beers to people in the crowd as the whole place cracks up. I thought it was a pretty funny move.

- Ended with Baba O'Reily as the final encore. I like their habit of doing rock-out covers to close the show. Amazing ending to a great rock concert.

Heading over Mansfield shortly, heard the police will be out in force, what the F...

yeah, they'll be out in force before the show... after the show, there will be ONE cop left to direct traffic for 10,000 cars...

Wow. I hope they play that in Mansfield tonight. :)

They played it again in DC last sunday. I really hope they'll break it out again tonight. They're going to be in a very giving mood for the fans tonight after the way the venue cut them off on saturday. I'm expecting heavy fines and a giant "f you" to the Comcast Center. I can't wait.

The mamasan trilogy? Footsteps was easily the highlight of my night. Oh, and Glorified G, Satan's Bed, Whipping, and Bee Girl (now that was a surprise) were all songs I never thought I'd see live.

Two things I learned about Pearl Jam yesterday:

1) The song Jeremy is based on a true story (and partially on another true story):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_(song)

The song takes its main inspiration from a newspaper article about a 15-year-old boy named Jeremy Wade Delle, born February 10, 1975, from Richardson, Texas who shot himself in front of his English class at Richardson High School on the morning of January 8, 1991 at about 9:45 am. Delle was described by schoolmates as "real quiet" and known for "acting sad." After coming in to class late that morning, Delle was told to get an admittance slip from the school office. He left the classroom, and returned with a .357 Magnum revolver. Delle walked to the front of the classroom, announced "Miss, I got what I really went for", put the barrel of the firearm in his mouth, and pulled the trigger before his teacher or classmates could react. A girl named Lisa Moore knew Jeremy from the in-school suspension program: "He and I would pass notes back and forth and he would talk about life and stuff," she said. "He signed all of his notes, 'Write back.' But on Monday he wrote, 'Later days.' I didn't know what to make of it. But I never thought this would happen."

2) The same song, Jeremy, was edited to meet MTV standards and even after that was banned. The one I've seen my whole life isn't the real one. In the one I was used to seeing, Jeremy walks into the classroom and then you see a closeup of his face, and then the other kids in class covered in blood. The original actually showed Jeremy put the gun into his mouth. Its rather chilling to see.

Fast Forward to 4:51 (you don't need to let the whole thing load, just click near the end)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yCS_-DshXek

The mamasan trilogy? Footsteps was easily the highlight of my night. Oh, and Glorified G, Satan's Bed, Whipping, and Bee Girl (now that was a surprise) were all songs I never thought I'd see live.

Good show but wow, parking lot sucked, we paid for the private one but couldn't get into another private lot where our friends were. That blew. That being said, we were on the highway in no time.

I was glad to see Corduroy, best song ever, sad no Crazy Mary and no Boom call outs. I'm not going to pretend to be a Pearl Jam nut so some of those songs were lost on me. I was a big fan of the opening song, Wash, I think, right? Tight show and best version of Even Flow I've ever seen (granted it's only my 5th show).

Lots of politics which was just wasted air that could have been a few more songs...

Given how they were cut short on both shows, it was a bit disappointing that they repeated so many songs from saturday night (not a problem for you though). That show was definitely geared a bit more towards the hardcore fans, but I'm sure they added in some of the repeats to satisfy others and it makes perfect sense to do so. A certain two repeats (Alive and Once) made me very happy though. Those and Footsteps are the mamasan trilogy in case you didn't get that reference. They're the first three songs the band recorded.

Yeah, the opener was Wash and was a bit of a surprise to me. I can't believe that I've actually managed to see a different opener at all 4 shows I've been to.

There really wasn't too much politics last night, but I wish he hadn't mentioned the marine recruiting center (he mentioned it saturday too). I don't think it crossed any line, but the poison apple comment was just plain idiotic. At least he followed it up with Glorified G.