Sign the petition!

Want to get these !@#$ politicians off their asses? Click the link and sign the petition. Only a half a million so far, but who knows how far it might go?

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncen...7b-346a1e096659

Oh, and write your elected officials and get blown off like me...Here's Barbara Boxer's 'solution'. What a fuggin joke. Hmm, stop adding to the Strategic Reserve and Tax the eeeevil oil companies. Yea, that's the ticket 0:)

In my letter to her I told her my position that we need to open up domestic sources, and that she needs to stop accepting campaign donations from special interests like The Sierra Club.

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding high gasoline prices. I appreciate the opportunity to hear your views on this important issue, and I share your concerns.

Gasoline prices reached an all-time high this year, and costs for other basic necessities, including food, are rising drastically. As millions of Americans struggle under this increasing burden, oil companies continue to report massive, record-breaking profits. This is unacceptable, and I want to assure you that the Senate is working hard to lower prices and protect Americans from price gouging.

On May 13, 2008, by a vote of 97 to 1, the Senate approved legislation to temporarily halt oil deposits to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which would put more oil on the market and help ease rising gas prices as we enter this busy driving season.

In addition, I am proud to be a co-sponsor of S.2991, the Consumer-First Energy Act of 2008. This important bill would impose a windfall profits tax on oil companies to discourage price gouging and to help consumers offset the high costs of energy products, punish any country or company colluding in setting the price of oil, and limit excessive speculation in oil markets.

S.2991 also includes a provision that is similar to legislation I authored that would require the Federal Trade Commission to investigate possible manipulation of gasoline prices any time prices rise rapidly.

Americans deserve better than oil companies that gouge consumers in order to make huge profits. Rest assured, I will keep fighting to help Americans enjoy fair and reasonable energy prices.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or other issues that concern you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong but even if they started drilling now that most likely wouldn't give us any sort of relief for years and years and years to come. I think people need to start thinking and go after what is the reason for the rise. Hell when you have pretty much every player now (most likely deflecting) stating that the speculators are the main reason for this... one would think to go after that aspect one way or another.

I may be wrong but even if they started drilling now that most likely wouldn't give us any sort of relief for years and years and years to come.

That is absurdly bad logic. And it's also the same line we heard back in '95 when Clinton vetoed the last attempt to drill our own oil. 13 years later it might have come in handy.

That is absurdly bad logic. And it's also the same line we heard back in '95 when Clinton vetoed the last attempt to drill our own oil. 13 years later it might have come in handy.

it is a stop gap myopic decision. I prefer to research and develop alternative energy and to try and leave a better planet for future generations

Bad logic to say instead of fighting about drilling now... to want someone to get off their ass in get something done.

Bad logic to say instead of fighting about drilling now... to want someone to get off their ass in get something done.

Yes, because there shouldn't be any 'fighting'. We should be drilling our own oil NOW; while we seek for other longer term solutions.

It's gonna take a hell of a lot longer to ween the country off of oil with alternate technologies that it is to start pumping our own oil and slowing the flow the money to our enemies. Refusing to access our own energy sources because we are hoping for some miracle cure is beyond insane (not to mention the reason why gas is $5/gallon now).

it is a stop gap myopic decision. I prefer to research and develop alternative energy and to try and leave a better planet for future generations

Myopic is thinking that you can only do one or the other. Why is it not possible to do both?

Yes, because there shouldn't be any 'fighting'. We should be drilling our own oil NOW; while we seek for other longer term solutions.

It's gonna take a hell of a lot longer to ween the country off of oil with alternate technologies that it is to start pumping our own oil and slowing the flow the money to our enemies. Refusing to access our own energy sources because we are hoping for some miracle cure is beyond insane (not to mention the reason why gas is $5/gallon now).

Myopic is thinking that you can only do one or the other. Why is it not possible to do both?

But there WILL be fighting whether you think there shouldn't be or not. And really while they are "looking" for longterm solutions, the majority should trying to fix what is going on NOW.

Because I care about future generations and do not want to squander all America's resources on the instant gratification generation

Obama said yesterday that he is not disappointed with the current price of oil, he's just disappointed that it happened so fast. I thought he was a 'man of the people'? Who suffers the most when fuel prices rise like they have? It's the poor folks who can least afford fuel, not rich folks.

When will the Dem's stop the illusion that they care about 'the working man'?

The mere threat of us drilling domestically will help to settle the markets and begin to lower the price of crude.

But keep pretending that alternative fuels are the solution. Have you noticed how expensive food has gotten lately? You haven't seen anything yet...

PBills- your logic is flawed, because in essence you're saying, why do anything if it's going to take awhile, right? Let me ask you- Why not drill domestically? Why Not?

The Dem's are playing with fire here. Once the sheeple realize the game they're playing they're going to get real angry.

Because I care about future generations and do not want to squander all America's resources on the instant gratification generation

Yea, sure 0:)

At what point do we develop those resources? Please enlighten me...

But there WILL be fighting whether you think there shouldn't be or not. And really while they are "looking" for longterm solutions, the majority should trying to fix what is going on NOW.

You're right about that. Unfortunately, the current majority are the ones who screwed up the decision a decade ago that might be helping now, so I don't have much faith in them (or the other side for that matter). So what can be done about the current situation now? Not much. It may be a newsflash to some, but taxing US oil companies isn't going to lower the price of gas at the pump.

The 'solution' will be presented by the marketplace when it is economically advantageous to do so, but it will take a very long time to work through the entire US. We are already seeing the auto industry change pretty rapidly (for a huge industry) with the move back toward more fuel efficient cars and experimenting with more advanced technology. But nothing can change the fact that we will be heavily oil dependent for many years to come, regardless of what people are paying at the pump. As such, it sure makes sense to use our own oil to the extent possible while we are making that long term conversion. I guess there are people out there that think President Obama is going to push the magic green button and make everything better, but that's just not the way it's going to be.

Oh puh-leeze; doing it for the children? 0:)

So you're suggesting that you'll support drilling for oil in 50 years (or do we have to wait for a less selfish generation)? Won't oil be obsolete by then anyway? Nice strawman Pete.

Yea, sure 0:)

At what point do we develop those resources? Please enlighten me...

when we pull our heads out of our asses. Wind power, astro power, fuel cells, zero point energy, cold fusion, anti matter, tide power, scalar wave technology, magnetic energy, geothermal energy, etc. We are the USA, the land of innovation. What would Ben Franklin say about oil today? He would be busting his ass trying to solve the crisis, not advocate drilling our forests. Europe and the rest of the civilized world are ahead of us with alternative energy. Iceland and Brazil are good examples, as are Germany and Switzerland. We are pissing away the worlds resources. There are alternatives.

And yes KD- I do care about future generations. Where would we be without our forefathers innovations? What happens when we drill all our resources and then run out of oil? Then what? It is prudent to develop alternatives now- and not wait until we run out. And I would just as soon leave our beautiful parks and nature reserves beautiful.

Pete, If you think ANWR is a forest, then you need a geography lesson. Drilling off the gulf coast (Florida) is already happening-the Chinese are doing it.

I agree that we need to develop alternative energy sources and that necessity is the mother of invention. While there are some alternatives presently, they are a drop in the bucket and incredibly expensive. I am not saying that domestic development will solve this crisis, but it will serve to help while we develop the technologies you refer to.

Regarding Iceland- are you referring to thermal energy? If so isn't that exploiting their natural resurces? Can you see us tapping into Yellowstone?

How do you feel about high prices? Don't you see the hypocrisy of Obama supposedly looking out for the little people yet refusing to support steps that can assist them? Or his desire to outright leave Iraq, yet will do nothing to lessen our dependence on M.E. Oil?

I may be wrong but even if they started drilling now that most likely wouldn't give us any sort of relief for years and years and years to come. I think people need to start thinking and go after what is the reason for the rise. Hell when you have pretty much every player now (most likely deflecting) stating that the speculators are the main reason for this... one would think to go after that aspect one way or another.

Actually, it could lower the costs almost immediately. First off, the oil would cost $40-$50 a barrel instead of $120. The decreased dependence on foreign oil means that we can still buy some at a lower cost due to reduced demand, and other countries can get it at a lower cost as well.

And trust me- you are dead on about alternative fuels, but we won't have those for some time and we still need oil and gasoline in the near future

We should be drilling our own oil NOW; while we seek for other longer term solutions.

And yes KD- I do care about future generations. Where would we be without our forefathers innovations? What happens when we drill all our resources and then run out of oil? Then what? It is prudent to develop alternatives now- and not wait until we run out. And I would just as soon leave our beautiful parks and nature reserves beautiful.

I know your reading comprehension isn't really that bad. But you still can't articulate any reason not to pursue both new sources of renewable energy and additional sources of oil and natural gas, given the fact that nothing can change that fact that we will be heavily oil dependant for many years to come.

Pete, If you think ANWR is a forest, then you need a geography lesson. Drilling off the gulf coast (Florida) is already happening-the Chinese are doing it.

Gee, remember when we had a sphere of influence? I'm so glad we traded in the guys who had that mindset for the bunch of tree hugging pussies who run the country now. :lol:

What friggin' planet do you live on where drilling OUR OWN OIL is "squandering" resources on an "instant gratification generation"? There isn't one other country on earth that would refuse to use its own natural resources just to make a point. Nor should there be, because it's so friggin' stupid!

Yeah, let's keep ignoring our natural resources and shipping oil in from overseas so that the next generation can wonder why gas is $8/gallon.

I may be wrong but even if they started drilling now that most likely wouldn't give us any sort of relief for years and years and years to come.

Translation: People like me are the reason we didn't start drilling 15+ years ago and why gas is $4/gallon and still increasing in price.

Congratulations. :lol:

Actually, it could lower the costs almost immediately. First off, the oil would cost $40-$50 a barrel instead of $120. The decreased dependence on foreign oil means that we can still buy some at a lower cost due to reduced demand, and other countries can get it at a lower cost as well.

And trust me- you are dead on about alternative fuels, but we won't have those for some time and we still need oil and gasoline in the near future

I'm not for or against drilling in ANWR, but you're way off on the impact. US Dept of Energy said in May this year that the effect of ANWR on oil prices would be minor (roughly $.75 a barrel) and would take 10 years for its oil to reach the market. This is estimated impact on overall oil prices, regardless of what it costs to drill and refine it. That doesn't mean we should or shouldn't drill in ANWR, but the impact is small and it will take a long time to actually see the results.