I Used To Like Hasek

WWVaBeach

Seems normal. Have you ever played on Championship teams before? When you participate there is a different feeling when you win than there is when you sit on the bench.

I agree. While winning as a benchwarmer is nice, most would rather play on a losing team.

Seems normal. Have you ever played on Championship teams before? When you participate there is a different feeling when you win than there is when you sit on the bench.

agreed...but Hasek is the only a-hole that would put it in print

Dumbest thread ever.

... well no.. there have been some really really dumb threads that this one does not hold a candle to. But still, you get my point.

Not really...what's your point?

agreed...but Hasek is the only a-hole that would put it in print

He didn't put it in print. He just answered someone's question.

Yes this is a pretty stupid reason to dislike Hasek. With the possible exception of Gil Perrault, he's the best player to ever put on a Sabres jersey and the reason there was so much exciting playoff hockey in Buffalo back in the late 90s.

He didn't put it in print. He just answered someone's question.

Yes this is a pretty stupid reason to dislike Hasek. With the possible exception of Gil Perrault, he's the best player to ever put on a Sabres jersey and the reason there was so much exciting playoff hockey in Buffalo back in the late 90s.

since he is not a journalist this is a foolish thing to say....

as for the Doucheinator....he gives me more and more reasons to dislike him every year....this is just putting an extra scoop on the I hate Dom Sundae

You couldn't tell what me point was? Obviously I was implying that if Hasek were here he'd take you outside and beat you silly with the butt end of his goalie stick.

i think your point is...you dont know how to make a point

since he is not a journalist this is a foolish thing to say....

as for the Doucheinator....he gives me more and more reasons to dislike him every year....this is just putting an extra scoop on the I hate Dom Sundae

Why? The guy gave us our 2nd appearance in the SC Finals and a shot to win it. I lived in Buffalo during 97-00, it was a very exciting time for the Sabres, and Hasek made it possible. The guy was all world, Hart/Vezina Trophy winner. He forced his way out, but was merely a shell of his former Dominator self by that time. He wanted to win and our mgmt was headed way downhill. Kind of like Ray Bourque with Colorado. I have no problems with the guy.

Also, I know he was a lousy drunk and BPD had someone follow him and give him rides home, but so what. He did a lot of good for the city and the community (via Hasek's hereos).

If there is something I don't know, please enlighten me (and no, not with unsubstantiated rumors of Ted Nolan's wife). But it seems to me that the guy was solid all the way around and a very good Sabre.

Dom is probably the most enigmatic sports star in Buffalo history. And, also one of the citys' greatest ever. Time to let go the past...he did plenty of things to piss people off while in Buffalo, but, he did so much to keep people interested in that franchise. As Sabres fans, I think we have to be somewhat appreciative to have enjoyed one of the greatest goalies, in the history of the NHL, while he was in his prime. He handled his exit poorly, but, you can't begrudge him wanting to try to win something before he hung up his skates.

that Stanly Cup run was awesome....watching Dom in the olympics was also one of my greatest sports memories. If you listened to his retirement PC, he was pretty gracious, and went out of his way to thank Buffalo (metnioned Muckler, and Larry Quinn) and say what a great city it was. He also rattled off an impressive list of guys he played with in Buffalo (Hawerchuk, LaFontaine, Mogilny, Fuhr). What I thought was really neat, was he made a special thanks to Richard Smelick, who he said he has played more games in front of him, on defense, than anybody else in his career.

:D To you Dom!

I hated him when the Sabres tried trading him and he said, "No, I won't approve this trade because Detroit's giving up too much." :devil:

Same here. Instead we got one half-year out of a malcontent who wanted nothing to do with Buffalo and Lindy Ruff and a 1st-round pick (eventually became Paille, I believe.)

Same here. Instead we got one half-year out of a malcontent who wanted nothing to do with Buffalo and Lindy Ruff and a 1st-round pick (eventually became Paille, I believe.)

If you follow it through to see who that malcontent and the pick (and some other spare parts going either way in trades) were moved for a 1st round pick (Paille) and Jochen Hecht. At least they got something out of all of that.

If you follow it through to see who that malcontent and the pick (and some other spare parts going either way in trades) were moved for a 1st round pick (Paille) and Jochen Hecht. At least they got something out of all of that.

Yeah, I was looking at that on Sabresfans.com's history section. I'll give you 1 3/4 players' credit for Hasek - Paille and three-fourths of Hecht, since we had to parlay both Kozlov and the pick into something worthwhile. We had to send two second-round picks - the 2nd we got from Atlanta with the #36 pick we got from Nashville for our 2003 2nd-rounder and a 5th(88th?) pick in 2002 -- to Edmonton for Jochen. To get our second-round pick back for 2003 we had to send Barnes to Dallas for Mike Ryan and the Stars 2nd-round pick in '03.

Not sure how the 1st-rounder worked out (what pick it was - I assume the 30th) but we sent the 30th pick in the '02 draft and the rights to Mike Pandolfo to Columbus for the 20th pick, which we used on Paille.

Man it can get confusing tracking those trades just by looking at a linear written history.

I still want to know what our "future considerations" were from Detroit for the Dom trade and for the Jason Wooley trade. Anybody know?

I can't disagree with Hasek. I would almost rather play for a championship and lose then sit on the bench and have my team win it without me. That said, he did play in the playoffs so he did contribute. Selfish or not, still a pretty damn good goalie. But his better days have passed. Go out of top Hasek.