Rick Steves Iran Slideshow

Pete

I found this quite interesting. Steves just returned from a trip to Iran and these photos really give good insight into their culture-

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/...n_slideshow.htm

never heard of trhis guy to last year when I bought his book when we went to Italy. Best guide book I have ever used by far. Way better tahn Frommers or Fodrs etc. Now, I DVR his shows in HD. Cool slides, look forwrad to his show on Iran

When I first got my HD tivo, I would tivo all his travel shows. It was a fun way to take a half hour vacation. I know, it sounds lame, but I enjoy his show. i like how he gets a local guide to give the history of the place, as well as translate if necessary....

In Iran, men sit to pee. It's a religious thing. You won't find a urinal anywhere in Iran. In a men's room with 10 urinals, a guy knows at a glance what's available. In a men's room with 10 doors, you have to go knocking.

This confirms something I've suspected for a while. :thumbsup:

Tho, it's probably to prevent ever seeing another man's peepee, b/c it would instantly mean they're homos. And you know what they do with homos over there. But wait. They don't have any homos over there. Ask Ahmadinejad --- he'll tell you.

Of the little TeeVee I watch, ~80% is PBS and I do enjoy his show. Usually has interesting historical factoids and shows artistry that you don't normally get to see, or see in a larger context. When they had one Italy trip, they showed how the Last Supper is actually fresco'ed over a door. I had never known that.

http://www.ricksteves.com/blog/iran_slideshow_2.htm

"Suddenly it occurs to Rick's producer, Simon, that the plane was filled with Iranians...and everyone was given a metal knife." :thumbsup: Nicely ironic.

Seriously...everything I know about the Iranian people (which is not as much as I'd like) indicates they're a friendly, generous, noble people, and I've always thought it a shame that we live in a world where politics dictate a hostile relationship with them.

http://www.ricksteves.com/blog/iran_slideshow_2.htm

"Suddenly it occurs to Rick's producer, Simon, that the plane was filled with Iranians...and everyone was given a metal knife." :thumbsup: Nicely ironic.

Seriously...everything I know about the Iranian people (which is not as much as I'd like) indicates they're a friendly, generous, noble people, and I've always thought it a shame that we live in a world where politics dictate a hostile relationship with them.

I worked with a guy from Iran during the Shaw timeperiod. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet.

Rank and file Iranians love America and Americans for the most part. It's their whack-job religious leaders that have it in for us. In fact Iran is a very young nation. The youth of Iran listen to western music and devour western culture. The government has begun cracking down on such influences because they know they can't stay in power if people really had a choice.

PTR

Rank and file Iranians love America and Americans for the most part. It's their whack-job religious leaders that have it in for us.

I believe this to be mostly true as well, which is why I hope our next president will somehow engage the Iranians and give them something to think about. Constantly mentioning that we might bomb them back to the stone age probably isn't going to solve many differences.

I believe this to be mostly true as well, which is why I hope our next president will somehow engage the Iranians and give them something to think about. Constantly mentioning that we might bomb them back to the stone age probably isn't going to solve many differences.

People are the same everywhere. We all love our family and friends, we love to laugh and have fun, and most of us are good, kind, decent people. Citizens of Iran have no say in their foreign policy, just like us Americans have no say in our foreign policy. War is stupid. Well Radio Sawa is one smart thing our government has done to try and reach the youth of the middle east. It has been moderately successful.

http://www.radiosawa.com/english.aspx

People forget, though, that the rhetoric goes both ways, and that the '79 revolution was a de facto declaration of war on the US. There's a lot of sh-- to be dealt with from both sides before relations can be normalized.

People tend to not realize, too, that this administration is the first one in nearly thirty years to have ambassador-level talks with Iranian representatives. As bad as the rhetoric is between the two nations, there is actual dialog going on for once.

I worked with a guy from Iran during the Shaw timeperiod. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet.

I think you meen the Shah. You should have just used an L and made it the shawl of iran.........that would have been funny.

Rick Steves lives in the Seattle area (Edmonds to be exact) and often gives seminars locally. While the travel thing is how he makes his living, his secondary purpose is to try to get folks to open up and understand each other's cultures. It's easy to hate people you know nothing about, and don't talk to....not so easy if you meet in the middle.

You should also know that Steves is helping lead a movement to legalize pot. :blink: