Willis @UM and Willis Today

FGD

I am no Hurricanes fan, but I watched Maghee a lot his one real year in college and his burst was incredible! On a number of plays he was Bo Jackson gone, but that was before the knee injury<p>Today Willis was THE difference, but there are 3 optical factors I have trouble juggling.<p>1)Maghee current burst. 2) the overall quality of the defensive speed in the NFL and 3) the relatively poor Buffalo offensive line. What do you see?<p>

Put another way if you were soaking up the Bills win with a few adult beverages and you saw Maghee on another team and heard the same story recited. Would you think damn my team should have taken a chance or would you say I still think my team did the right thing passing on him in the 1St round?<p>

What do the cold hard facts say to you?

I am no Hurricanes fan, but I watched Maghee a lot his one  real year in  college and his burst was incredible!  On a number of plays he was Bo Jackson gone, but that was before the knee injury<p>Today Willis was THE difference, but there are  3 optical factors I have trouble juggling.<p>1)Maghee current burst. 2) the overall quality of the defensive speed in the NFL and 3) the relatively poor Buffalo offensive line.  What do you see?<p>

Put another way if you were soaking up the Bills win with a few adult beverages and you saw Maghee on another team and heard the same story recited.  Would you think damn my team should have taken a chance or would you say I still think my team did the right thing passing on him in the 1St round?<p>

What do the cold hard facts say to you?

IMO, Willis lacks the burst he had @UM but he seems stronger than I remembered him to be. I stll think he could have been had in the 3rd round in the '03 draft. Drew Rosenhaus did a masterful selling job & TD bit...... :devil:

IMO, Willis lacks the burst he had @UM but  he seems stronger than I remembered him to be.  I stll think he could have been had in the 3rd round in the '03 draft.  Drew Rosenhaus did a masterful selling job & TD bit...... :devil:

73398[/snapback]

actually no, the raiders would have taken him at # 30 or 31 wherever they were picking...willis wasnt getting out of the first round...

actually no, the raiders would have taken him at # 30 or 31 wherever they were picking...

willis wasnt getting out of the first round...

I didn't believe that then & still don't.......

:)

Guest Guest_John from Hemet_*
I didn't believe that then & still don't.......

:)

73509[/snapback]

Bump

I would like to hear some more takes on this one....a pretty good question

now people are going to say we should have waited to pick him?? TD can't do anything right can he?

73873[/snapback]

Uninformed people. Al Davis really wanted McGahee, I have heard or read from multiple sources. Of course they could all be wrong, but somehow I doubt it.

McGahee would not have been there for the Bills in the second round.

Well as an observer who watched him dismantle the Syracuse defense, I'd say it's a little bit of everything.

He still does not seem as fast as he was in college from a "top speed" perspective. I believe that it is a result of two factors. First, the overall speed in the NFL is higher and two, he's still healing. Maybe not healing in the physical sense but certainly in the mental sense. The more he plays the stronger and more confident he'll become. He may not ever get the top speed he had back again but he definitely is stronger.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Bills back run through, around and over people. Willis seems to have it all and I'm sure there were a lot of players on Miami's defense that had enough of him by the end of the day. I taped the game so I watched some of his runs two or three times. He wasn't just stiff arming players, he completely knocked them down. When was the last time you saw an RB stiff arm a DE and knock him down?

Willis is well on his way to becoming the real deal!

Willis will never "look" as fast as he did in his college days because the overall speed of NFL players is so much faster. You don't become a great NFL back by running away from people. You become a great NFL back by following your blockers and making people miss. Willis has that, you can see it already.

RunTheBall

Given all of the other factors already mentioned (speed of the NFL, still healing, etc.) I'm wondering if McGahee is trying to play at a heavier weight than in college. It may make him stronger, and that in the end may be a worthwhile trade off, but if he's playing at 10-15 lbs heavier, that can definitely subtract some speed and quickness from his game.