Praise for Greer

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Chris Brown blog:

FEWELL HAS PRAISE FOR GREER:
With all the added competition at cornerback with the signing of Will James and the addition of three drafted corners, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has been impressed with what Jabari Greer has done thus far this spring in response to the added competition now in the fold.

"This made Jabari Greer compete even more," said Fewell. "He's had an outstanding OTA session. It's not like it's hands down that Leodis is going to be the guy (starter). Jabari has really stepped his game up. I think we now have competition where we didn't really have that type of competition last year. All those guys are fighting to be starters, and I think that makes your defense better."

Greer has looked very sharp this spring, and has that seasoned look to him. He's been battled tested from all his playing time last season and it shows. I think McKelvin will have to have a super training camp to unseat Greer at the starting right cornerback spot the way Greer is playing right now.

It looks like Greer is stepping up to the plate. I think it's good for our secondary to have some competition and not really know whose going into training camp.

Would people look at this years draft (or at least rd. 1) as a bust if McGee is returning kicks and Greer is starting at CB? Or do you think that it's just going to take some time to groom Leodis into an NFL corner?

Would people look at this years draft (or at least rd. 1) as a bust if McGee is returning kicks and Greer is starting at CB? Or do you think that it's just going to take some time to groom Leodis into an NFL corner?

Depends. If we win 10 or more games and McCorner plays a limited role taking time to groom him is OK. If on the other hand the team struggles to 6 or so wins and McCorner plays the same limited role...not so good.

Judging by Brown's and Fewell's comments, McKelvin will be taking Greer's spot, and McGee isnt going anywhere. We'll have our starting McCorners before too long, and Greer will make a really good nickel back.

What the hell's wrong with me?! I could've sword that title said "Praise for Beer."

I'd say there's nothing wrong with you at all! :lol:

Judging by Brown's and Fewell's comments, McKelvin will be taking Greer's spot, and McGee isnt going anywhere. We'll have our starting McCorners before too long, and Greer will make a really good nickel back.

Don't forget about Corner and James. This secondary appears to be DEEP for a change.

Cue Bill in 1...2...3...

We all know that eventually McKelvin will be a starter on this team. But, if we are really making strides this year to win games and get into the playoffs, wouldn't it be more wise to start Greer over a rookie? At least work McKelvin into the starting role as the year goes on (like we did with Clements). If our defense is really going to be that much stronger, do we want to have a weak link for opposing offenses to pick on right off the bat?

If McKelvin comes out in camp and takes the job thats one thing, but if Jabari is showing even more than what he gave us last year, I can't see them sitting down a proven veteran to immediately start a rookie. I think the ideal situation for myself, would be to start the year off with Jabari and sprinkle McKelvin in, seeing if he can handle it, and if he can, then make the move permanent.

Greer?? I thought it was McGee who was on the hot seat. It was McGee who was torched and picked on last year. I watched every game last season and McGee had me cursing like a drunken sailor. And no he was not always covering the best receiver. Greer must have porked Jaurons old lady.Sheesh.

Guest dog14787
Greer?? I thought it was McGee who was on the hot seat. It was McGee who was torched and picked on last year. I watched every game last season and McGee had me cursing like a drunken sailor. And no he was not always covering the best receiver. Greer must have porked Jaurons old lady.Sheesh.

Greer is one of my favorite players but Mcgee is in a class all his own. :lol:

A team cannot have enough good corners...There will be place for both of them on this team....We are against some pretty good receivers in the AFC and will need all help at CB position.

That's what I got from this, as well. I am dissappointed as I think Greer played better at corner than McGee did last year, and I think McGee can be a Pro Bowl returner again if he is only playing as the nickle back.

The best news right now is that we suddenly have good depth at corner.

Guest dog14787
As a kick-off return man :thumbsup:

Plus he's one of the NFL's best returners, thanks for reminding me :w00t:

Just because Mcgee could take the ball back for a TD on an interception at any time, that doesn't mean nothing, nawww

When offenses steer away from Mcgee it doesn't show up in any stat, but anyone that knows football understands the importance.

Terrence Mcgee is one of our teams biggest play makers and he is our best CB :w00t:

They're gonna need 4 starters when they play the Pats*.

I'm happy for Greer, but it's OTAs and I don't see him beating out McKelvin. It's great he got all that experience and all but McKelvin is light years ahead of him in pure athletic ability and that trumps everything at CB. Rocket surgeons need not apply when it comes to playing CB. High experience is a NICE to have vs. a NEED to have at the position. It ain't that complicated.

GO BILLS!!!

Plus he's one of the NFL's best returners, thanks for reminding me :D

Just because Mcgee could take the ball back for a TD on an interception at any time, that doesn't mean nothing, nawww

When offenses steer away from Mcgee it doesn't show up in any stat, but anyone that knows football understands the importance.

Terrence Mcgee is one of our teams biggest play makers and he is our best CB :P

When offenses steer away from McGee ? Did you watch a game last year? They went after McGee,like a shark after blood . Yeah I think I know a little about football.

Guest dog14787
When offenses steer away from McGee ? Did you watch a game last year? They went after McGee,like a shark after blood . Yeah I think I know a little about football.

If you think by any stretch of the imagination that Greer is a better CB then Mcgee, I have to question your football smarts. :thumbsup:

I'll say this again though, Jabari Greer is one of my favorite players and what Jabari brings to the locker room helps win ball games.

What will be interesting is if McKelvin does NOT start will there be posters here complaining that the 1st round pick could have been better used at another position.

I do NOT subscribe to that philosphy.....I think that McKelvin is in a great spot to get aclimated to the NFL before he starts and in the long run that really helps as he doesn't have to lock down the other teams best or second best wideout immediately......he can be that guy covering the 3rd wideout his first year........biulding up that confidence. And then if god forbit something bad happen.....you dont lose a beat on defense.

I think we may well be the most stacked (in terms of overall talent) in corners in the league.....when your first round pick doesn't start and a guy like James is brought in with that veteran experience.

In the corner department I like were we are at....we appear to have strengths in areas last year where they were weaknesses..