Celtics/Lakers NBA finals...

Buftex

How many Celtics fans knew who Rajon Rondo was before this year Show of hands? (Crickets)

NOTE: Last comment not directed at you buftex, and oh it is more then some.

:lol::lol: Each time a team wins a championship you probably can find some bandwagon jumpers but like it or not, Celtics fans are among the first tier in the NBA in terms of loyalty and fidelity.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched at least 70 Celtics games a year since I moved back to Boston in 1998, so I sure as sh-- knew who Rondo was. I survived the Milt Palacio, Chris Herren and Shammond Williams PG eras. I was directly behind the bench at a game 3 years ago when Perkins had 19 rebounds against Philly. Any other questions, smart guy?

Rajon certainly looked good in that last game no doubt.

:lol::lol: Each time a team wins a championship you probably can find some bandwagon jumpers but like it or not, Celtics fans are among the first tier in the NBA in terms of loyalty and fidelity.

:lol: When the team has been as bad as it has been for 20 years, there isn't a lot for fans to talk about. After Pitno left, especially, it was just miserable to follow these guys. Pitino didn't work out at all (probably did more damage than good, in the long run), but he had the name and reputation to keep people interested. ML Carr was the worst GM, ever. So no, Celtics fans couldn't really talk about their team in the same breath as the Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, Pistons, Suns, and all the other perrenial playoff teams of the last two decades. Everytime the Celtics would appear to make any progress at all, it seemed that managment would tear it down, and start from scratch. So, yeah, people lost some interest. How can you blame them? The fact that they drew a "mere" 16,000 fans a game, in an 18,500 arena, the last few years, is not so bad. Consider that the Patriots and Red Sox were in their zenith during this time, while the Bruins and Celtics were struggling, and I think this whole "where were they the last few years" argument is pretty silly. There are only so many dollars to go around.

I went from watching damn near every game (via the NBA package) to about 20-30 over the last few years. The availability of the NHL Center Ice package, and the Sabres rise kind of put the Celtics on a back burner for me. The NBA and NHL compete with eachother frequently. But I always followed them as much as I could, via the NBA network, NBA.COM and other websites. Now I am torn...I know I can't afford the money/time to the NHL Center Ice package, and the NBA Ticket next season...what to do? I have a feeling the Celtics will be on TNT/ABC/ESPN frequently....

I dont think Kobe gets away with much at all

Congrats to the celtics......the fact is they were the most physical team and when you are a physical team and refs ALLOW you to play physical....you are going to beat a better "execution" team in a 7 game series...which the lakers are minus Bynum

But....this isn't over.....I think these two times are right back here next year and with Bynum this series is going to be much different......

Lakers might be back, but the Celtics are 1-and-done:

1. The incredibly-inept Flip Saunders is finally gone.

2. No true championship team would get taken to 7 games by the friggin' Atlanta Hawks.

Lakers might be back, but the Celtics are 1-and-done:

1. The incredibly-inept Flip Saunders is finally gone.

2. No true championship team would get taken to 7 games by the friggin' Atlanta Hawks.

You may be right...but the Celtcs, for whatever reason, looked old an tired in that Hawks series. Honestly, as lame as it may sound, I think the Celtics wore themselves down, during the final stretch of the season. I give them credit, they kept their foot on the pedal all season...they just hit a lull in that first series...

They didn't really return to their season form, unitl their backs were against the wall, against the (overrated) Pistons. Part of the reason, IMO, they struggled against the Hawks and Cavs, was the Doc wasn't completely comfortable with giving his bench more minutes. I think he realized, after going the distance against those two teams, he had to live or die with his bench players. They came up pretty big, all and all.

You may be right...but the Celtcs, for whatever reason, looked old an tired in that Hawks series. Honestly, as lame as it may sound, I think the Celtics wore themselves down, during the final stretch of the season. I give them credit, they kept their foot on the pedal all season...they just hit a lull in that first series...

They didn't really return to their season form, unitl their backs were against the wall, against the (overrated) Pistons. Part of the reason, IMO, they struggled against the Hawks and Cavs, was the Doc wasn't completely comfortable with giving his bench more minutes. I think he realized, after going the distance against those two teams, he had to live or die with his bench players. They came up pretty big, all and all.

I'm just glad that POS Phil Jackson didn't win another ring & got embarrassed in the process! :lol:

Well....the bad news is that Phil will be right back again next year...and the year after that.

This lakers team is young......and only going to get better.

Yeah, I know you are right...but sports is the one medium where it feels good to hate again! :blink:

Well....the bad news is that Phil will be right back again next year...and the year after that.

This lakers team is young......and only going to get better.

They aren't that young. And unless they can get Bynum back 100% and get some toughness in the draft/free agency they are going to be in the same boat for the next several seasons.

They aren't that young. And unless they can get Bynum back 100% and get some toughness in the draft/free agency they are going to be in the same boat for the next several seasons.

Where exactly are they old?

And the reason for shutting down Bynum and not playing him this year was to get Bynum back at 100 percent

I no some will not agree.....but this makes Shaq look BAD

A couple of weeks ago he was talking about how proud he was of Kobe and this and that....now he comes out with this and drags some other players into it as well.

I look forward to the Bynum Shaq matchup this next year.

I no some will not agree.....but this makes Shaq look BAD

A couple of weeks ago he was talking about how proud he was of Kobe and this and that....now he comes out with this and drags some other players into it as well.

I look forward to the Bynum Shaq matchup this next year.

Even after this video was made (presumably since last Tuesday), Shaq said "me and Kobe are cool...I got no problems with him."

I agree. Personally, I think they both come off as spoiled brats most of the time. Kobe has become a bit more sophisticated in dealing with the media, but he still can't resist taking shots at teammates...and Shaq? Forget about it! Guy has a good sense of humour, but is still too insecure to not make himself look bad.He seems to only be able to get motivated, at this point, when he feels his greatness is in question.

I know Shaq has been a very effective player at points in his career, namely in those Lakers championship teams, but I get a kick out of it, when he is called one of the very greatest centers of all time. Hell, he isn't even in the top 3 centers in Lakers history, let alone NBA history.

Even after this video was made (presumably since last Tuesday), Shaq said "me and Kobe are cool...I got no problems with him."

I agree. Personally, I think they both come off as spoiled brats most of the time. Kobe has become a bit more sophisticated in dealing with the media, but he still can't resist taking shots at teammates...and Shaq? Forget about it! Guy has a good sense of humour, but is still too insecure to not make himself look bad.He seems to only be able to get motivated, at this point, when he feels his greatness is in question.

I know Shaq has been a very effective player at points in his career, namely in those Lakers championship teams, but I get a kick out of it, when he is called one of the very greatest centers of all time. Hell, he isn't even in the top 3 centers in Lakers history, let alone NBA history.

Kobe sunk to a rediculous low during his Colorado espisode when he threw Shaq under the bus, saying Shaq paid off his "weekend" girls to keep quiet. I don't think Kobe was guilty of anything other than cheating on his wife in that incident, but whether his statements were true or not, bringing Shaq into it was incredibly uncalled for. I'm not sure that's something Shaq will ever completely forgive....

Kobe sunk to a rediculous low during his Colorado espisode when he threw Shaq under the bus, saying Shaq paid off his "weekend" girls to keep quiet. I don't think Kobe was guilty of anything other than cheating on his wife in that incident, but whether his statements were true or not, bringing Shaq into it was incredibly uncalled for. I'm not sure that's something Shaq will ever completely forgive....

Jesus I wish Kobe had picked someplace else to have that surgury.......

Just effected the lakers organization in a way overall in such a bad way...........

• 4 weeks later...