Celtics/Lakers NBA finals...

Buftex

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate them both. Although I hate the Lakers the most. So whenever the Lakers lose it is always a good thing.

If you are impartial, IMO, rooting for the Lakers to beat the Celtics, would be like rooting for the Cowboys to beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl...

My thoughts are the two franchises I couldn't possibly hate worst - I probably won't watch...

I placed a bet with a guy at work. He acted surprised and asked if I was a Celtics fan. No, I said I was a money fan. Then another guy asked how many points? Point? POINTS? It's the !@#$ing NBA finals, you don't !@#$ing give points. :lol:

The Celtics wanted it more tonight.

I am probably going out on a huge limb here, given that nobody has really given the Celtics a chance at winning this series, but, I think, take Kobe off that team, and they are not really a very good team. The Celtics bench has been every bit as effective as the Lakers, who all the analysts seem to drool over. Gasol is a nice player, but not a great player. And to top it off, all of these guys, except Kobe and Fisher, are pretty soft. I don't think last night was a complete fluke.

Wow...that ended up being a little too close for comfort. How the Celtics gave up 41 pts in the fourth qrtr, after dominating the Lakers for three quarters is unfathomable. I think the Celtics will win this thing, but they have had three games in this playoff run, where they almost gave or did give up huge leads. Not good...

This second game reminded me, once again, why I can't stand Phil Jackson. His team plays soft, he made horrible substitutions, but he still has the gall to whine about officiating? Yes Phil, when your team plays like they are afraid, they aren't going to draw too many fouls. I am sure Doc Rivers, or any other NBA coach, would be delighted to play a team that seems content to just toss up jump shots all night. They may win a game or two that way, but they will not win a championship. The Celtics aren't going away.

I am sure the Lakers will play better in LA, but they were awful for three quarters tonight. Kobe is a great player, and he almost spurred them on in the fourth. I just don't think he has any teammates that can hang with him, in times of trouble. Fisher is looking old (he has to play better defense), and Odom is a head case. Christ, little Rondo outplayed both of those guys. Rondo had 16 assists, but how the hell did the Lakers let him get 6 boards?

Leon Powe, running three quarters of the court, without being touched, for an easy basket pretty much summed the whole thing up.

Can't wait until Tuesday.

Wow...that ended up being a little too close for comfort. How the Celtics gave up 41 pts in the fourth qrtr, after dominating the Lakers for three quarters is unfathomable. I think the Celtics will win this thing, but they have had three games in this playoff run, where they almost gave or did give up huge leads. Not good...

This second game reminded me, once again, why I can't stand Phil Jackson. His team plays soft, he made horrible substitutions, but he still has the gall to whine about officiating? Yes Phil, when your team plays like they are afraid, they aren't going to draw too many fouls. I am sure Doc Rivers, or any other NBA coach, would be delighted to play a team that seems content to just toss up jump shots all night. They may win a game or two that way, but they will not win a championship. The Celtics aren't going away.

I am sure the Lakers will play better in LA, but they were awful for three quarters tonight. Kobe is a great player, and he almost spurred them on in the fourth. I just don't think he has any teammates that can hang with him, in times of trouble. Fisher is looking old (he has to play better defense), and Odom is a head case. Christ, little Rondo outplayed both of those guys. Rondo had 16 assists, but how the hell did the Lakers let him get 6 boards?

Leon Powe, running three quarters of the court, without being touched, for an easy basket pretty much summed the whole thing up.

Can't wait until Tuesday.

After watching most of the first two games, I think there's a really good chance that LA will win the series. To me, it just seems that Boston doesn't quite have the heart to have a closer's mentality. It's easy to say that after watching them almost blow a 30pt lead or whatever it was, but in game one how many shots did KG miss in the fourth quarter? I don't know, if LA gets their act together, I could see them winning this series 4-2.

If/when the Celtics win, man that banwagon, its going to be overflowing.

I liked the big three before Allen and Garnett came to boston and wouldn't care if they won it. But it is boston and I like the Lakers a little bit more, so hopefully Kobe and gang can start playing a little bit better defense, its been a good series so far, so I hope it goes to 7. And hopefully those beantown guys (Peirce, Garnett, and Allen) get a ring because all three of them are great players.

Another game note that I thought was shocking: Leon Powe (who? exactly) Had more free throws in 15 minutes of playing time than the entire Lakers team. LA had 10 free throws the entire game to Powes 13 (Boston had 38 overall). Needless to say LA is going to need to play better and get some of those "make-up calls" over the next three games.

And someone inform Mr. Bryant that he is the MVP and should know how to take the ball to the rim and not take a bunch of jump shots

After watching most of the first two games, I think there's a really good chance that LA will win the series. To me, it just seems that Boston doesn't quite have the heart to have a closer's mentality. It's easy to say that after watching them almost blow a 30pt lead or whatever it was, but in game one how many shots did KG miss in the fourth quarter? I don't know, if LA gets their act together, I could see them winning this series 4-2.

So, the Lakers showed a lot of "heart"? Maybe I am biased, but I think the Lakers are the team showing a lack of heart. And I think the Celtics are showing that they are the superior team. Now, I know, anything can happen, I wouldn't count the Lakers out either, but I think the Lakers look badly overmatched so far in these first two games. The Celtics had a mental lapse with six minutes to go last night, but they have been in control for most of the first two games. The Celtics seem to be able to "impose their will" on the Lakers, but the Lakers haven't been able to to the same. I will stick with my original prediction of the Celtics in 7, but I am less impresed with the Lakers than I thought I would be. Returning to LA might be what they need. I do think the Celtics will win at least one of the three, and close it out in Boston.

Only 3 teams in history have ever won the finals after being down 2-0, and none of them were in 6 games. And at least the 69 Celtics and 77 Blazers were much better constructed TEAMS than the 2008 Lakers. Not saying it can't happen, but I will say it won't happen.

I did not watch the NBA all season and rarely ever do, but I have watched the first two games. I'm already tired of being told that Kobe is the greatest basketball player on the planet by all of ABC's personnel. I think comparisons to Michael Jordan are absolutely unwarranted. I hated the Bulls, but MJ was in a class all his own, and it remains so. I thought I was a Celtics fan for a while, but it turned out I was a fan of Larry Bird, KM, DJ, Parrish, and Ainge. That was a fun team to watch. When they left the NBA, so did I. When Bird coached the Pacers, I rooted for them for a while. I would say Reggie Miller, and having a wife from Indiana were two other rooting interests. When JR Bremer (from St. Bonaventure) entered the NBA, I said I'll root for whatever team he goes to. Interestingly enough, for one year it was Boston. Then he faded fast. The real problem for me is that there are no Buffalo Braves. All of my sports loyalties except NBA have been chosen by geography. I am a Bills fan because I am from here. Sabres the same. I live in Olean, so for worse or even worse, It's the St. Bonaventure Brown Indians, oh yeah "Bonnies".

I am pulling for the Celtics out of past loyalty and the history of the Boston/LA rivalry. That, and it never seems to fail that everybody involved in the Lakers franchise from the staff, to the coaches, players, and fans all seem so doggone smug. I think the Celtics will win it in 6 games. They have proven that they can dominate the Lakers at times. KG needs to step up and play a little more consistently, and the bench needs to continue with their scoring input. Hopefully for Bostn the Pierce injury is not too serious, and won't be a problem. At this point it seems overblown, a little like the Patriots listing Brady as injured, and probable most games.

It will be interesting to see if the Lakers are getting the calls in LA that the Celts were getting in Boston.

There were some absolutely REDICULOUS calls on screens and post-ups that could definitely be called on every trip down the court if the refs wanted to nitpick. These are huge games and the refs should let the players bang a little bit for position. (Not just playing the "homer" angle either- they tagged KG for a horrible call when he was setting a screen for Allen coming around a curl.)

I'm not talking about foul shot discrepency or anything like that...It's more the 2 early fouls called on Kobe and the 2 at the end of the 1st quarter called on Odom. They were all 50/50 and nobody would notice if they weren't called, but instead, those two players have to come out of the game to protect against getting a 3rd foul early in the half.

I understand that the refs "protecting" star players is a beef a lot of people have with the NBA, but to call touch fouls and force a team to sit the players who actually got them to the finals is hogwash. A foul is foul, but at times the refs seem to want to impose their dominance on a game. Newsflash fellahs, nobody is paying $300 for a ticket to watch you.

That will always be a sticking point for basketball, because in no other sport (except maybe the home plate ump in baseball) does a ref have so much objective impact on the game.

I did not watch the NBA all season and rarely ever do, but I have watched the first two games. I'm already tired of being told that Kobe is the greatest basketball player on the planet by all of ABC's personnel. I think comparisons to Michael Jordan are absolutely unwarranted. I hated the Bulls, but MJ was in a class all his own, and it remains so.

Are you crazy? Look at how Kobe turned a blowout into a come-from-behind narrow loss!! Who else could do that???