Water diversion from the Great Lakes

Well said.

It's funny how some Americans (rightfully) criticize the people of New Orleans wanting to rebuild in the exact same location, but then continue to buy homes along treacherous beachfront properties and within barren deserts and near earthquake epicenters :rolleyes:. Not to mention the obvious environmental factors involved with draining and redirecting massive amounts of Great Lakes water :thumbsup::lol: .

"But...but...but I'm not intelligent enough to hack it in a less-than-perfect economic climate. And my vagina is too sensitive to withstand the sub 80 degree weather around the Great Lakes/WNY region." - expected retort from random TBD douche

:lol:

Attracting young highly intelligent professionals to Buffalo is akin to the toledo mud hens making an offer to a-rod. Sure he could go there and be a hero and be top dog. all while making 1/10th of what he could be making elsewhere.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But...but...but I'm not intelligent enough to hack it in a less-than-perfect economic climate. And my vagina is too sensitive to withstand the sub 80 degree weather around the Great Lakes/WNY region." - expected retort from random TBD douche

Sub 80 I'm ok with. Sub zero, different story. Living in a near perfect economic climate versus living in a less than perfect economic climate means I lack intelligence. Ok, whatever...call me stupid then. :rolleyes:

Say one thing bad about Buffalo: Cut off water supply and livelihood for millions.

:rolleyes:

You're the one whose all hot a bothered about the water issue. If you live in the southwestern US, the great lakes is not your water supply or your livelihood. I do feel bad for the people in these booming arrid regions. A lot of us in WNY make a living selling goods and services to the herds that gather around the sunshine holes down south, but if you want water from the lakes you need to move nearby. I'm going to guess the Rocky Mountains are also not for sale, but you can check with Colorado.

:rolleyes:

Attracting young highly intelligent professionals to Buffalo is akin to the toledo mud hens making an offer to a-rod. Sure he could go there and be a hero and be top dog. all while making 1/10th of what he could be making elsewhere.

Um, that last paragraph of mine was obviously typed tongue-in-cheek...but as an FYI, income disparity is proportional to cost of living.

Hey, if you want to live somewhere else, that's your business and none of mine. But if the place you choose to live is not conducive for civilization, that doesn't give you the right to alter/wreck the environment where I live. Same principle behind those that want to drill in national parks while at the same time refusing to relinquish their SUV's, carpool to work, use public transportation, etc...

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/361226.html

I don't know how you feel about this. As Charlton Heston might have said (about our water), "From my cold WET hands ..."

Sorry, I have no sympathy for those who abandon the four seasons yet expect the bounty it provides!

Thoughts?

I'm with you EZC. Screw the south. Hands off Yankee water.

Big deal. This "water pipeline to Phoenix" idea pops up every few years. Towing an ice floe from the Bering Straits to Los Angeles is actually more practical.

Only in America, though, would people want to move the water to them, rather than move to the !@#$ing water.

Big deal. This "water pipeline to Phoenix" idea pops up every few years. Towing an ice floe from the Bering Straits to Los Angeles is actually more practical.

Only in America, though, would people want to move the water to them, rather than move to the !@#$ing water.

People have been moving water to themselves for centuries. It's hardly a uniquely American thing. I think a group of people called the Romans were pretty good at it.

Well said.

It's funny how some Americans (rightfully) criticize the people of New Orleans wanting to rebuild in the exact same location, but then continue to buy homes along treacherous beachfront properties and within barren deserts and near earthquake epicenters :lol:. Not to mention the obvious environmental factors involved with draining and redirecting massive amounts of Great Lakes water :P:wallbash: .

exactly!

(and the original New Orleans spot was perfect... the French Quarter is about the only district that has not been flooded...).

We have the same issue here with millions of people moving on the mediterranean coast and now facing huge water supply issues!... People think sun is costless..

People have been moving water to themselves for centuries. It's hardly a uniquely American thing. I think a group of people called the Romans were pretty good at it.

At least the Romans were smart enough not to build cities in the middle of the Sahara...

!@#$'em. Just take it from the mouth of the St. Lawerence. You'll get it before they do!!

:lol::P:wallbash::lol:

Lake Onatrio is the only lake that hasn't seen a sharp decline in lake elevation... Being controlled by the locks and dams on the SeaWay... They can pretty much keep Onatrio stable.

Water is already being diverted from the lakes and to the South at the tune of about 3600 cubic feet per SECOND here in Illinois as set by the US Supreme Court... Do the math, a family of four uses about 200 gallons a day... In ten years, my family has used about 1600 cubic feet... Read back... I said at Illinois, it can be maxed at 3600 PER SECOND... For reference... About a million goes over the Falls each second.

Again... Water leaves the Great Lakes in one of TWO areas... All other areas around the Great lakes have water RETURNING into the lakes.

Those two areas are... The St. Lawrence and @ Chicago.

Many people know that my occupation is a lock and dam operator with the US Army Corps... In fact, right now I am at that job... In fact my duty station is in Chicago... At the controlling works on the SouthSide... It is the were we make this part of the river flow AWAY from the lake and down into the MS river... Everytime we lock a vessel, about 1 to 2 to 3 million gallons are being DIVERTED away from the lakes, this amount greatly depends on the Lake Michigan elevation. We are set up here to handle "reverse flow"... When that happens, our lower pool is higher than Lake Michigan and water begins to flow back into the lake... We usually close when this happens not wanting to send pollution to the lake.

Navigation could be the key to water diversion... Navigation and it's infrastructure is Constitutionally mandated... There has been some slight rumbling that all diversion of water for navigation is going to end... 2020... Or whenever...???

Also look into the mess that is happening on the MO river and that "water war mess" there.

My point is that water is already being DIVERTED to the south very, very easily... The system is in place and IMO can be easily tweaked... All that would have to happen is the state of Illinois to push that agenda... On the other side of the aisle you have Michigan... These are the two player states that have butted heads in the past and have had the Supreme Court sort things out (approx. 1969, 1997)... What happens there then pushes what happens between the US and Canada at the Soo... I have heard some suggest they are holding water there at times. ??

Sounds like a lot of rambling... Being "kinda" (I am just a working slob on swing shift) at the front lines of this is interesting to say the least.

Well said.

It's funny how some Americans (rightfully) criticize the people of New Orleans wanting to rebuild in the exact same location, but then continue to buy homes along treacherous beachfront properties and within barren deserts and near earthquake epicenters :lol:. Not to mention the obvious environmental factors involved with draining and redirecting massive amounts of Great Lakes water :P:wallbash: .

I am watching massive amounts go right before my eyes right now... With no problem... All they would have to do is up the court ordered amount... Next lock down at Lockport Illinois, they can release south at times in well excess of 20,000 CFS... The system is place. On a busy weekend we will empty about 40-50 times just for navigation.

A few things in that I have mentioned in the past:

Older Chicago homes still don't have water meters and they are estimated... That means run your sprinkler all day and night and wash the car... They will still estimate out a family of four at about 200 gallons a day. Do a major rehab in your house and you will get a meter.

When Chicago over a 100 years ago reversed the flow of the rivers to the MS and subsequently the Gulf... There was strong opposition... Right before a federal injunction and literally within hours of that injunction they blew the coffers on the still unfinished project and sent the water forever south... Will that end someday? Who knows?

The natural cycle is not just the temperature, but the ecosystem which can support human development and that includes access to clean water and stable land. But you knew that.

Sorta true. Chicago had to deal with unstable and dirty water that was causing numerous epidemics... Hence the reverse of the rivers away from the lake for health and commerical reason just as the Erie Canal put BFLO on the map... There is one reason why Chicago was put on the map and is still there today: The original Illinois and Michigan Canal. The original ditch isn't there in many places... But, the rivers have been "canalized."

My point is WE can engineer around it... Case in point is this "stinky place" that the Native American Fox tribe called Chicago... There were many more ecologically desirable places to set up shop other than this area of northeast Illinois, but none had shortcomings that could be solved with human engineering.

At least you guys are keeping me on a semi-work related topic tonight!

:lol::P

Actually, the water flows to the St Lawrence and to the Atlantic. Let me know when they start taking it from the St Lawrence and I'll be sure to flush my toilet to send it their way. :lol::w00t:

Been happening for over a 100 years here... Really, read above... Eff the bastards in the south! :lol:

There was a saying at the the turn of the 20th century:

"When somebody in New Orleans drinks a glass of water, it has already passed through 3 people."

:P:wallbash:

See once again this shows the reason Buffalo will never amount to anything. They're sitting on a potential goldmine and they have no idea on how to capitalize on it. Water will be the next major commodity that the world will be fighting over.

Wow... Sorry for all the posts... But, if push comes to shove and what you say is true... There is so many other places "upstream" from BFLO that could play that card first... Sure they can capitalize on it, but, remember sh*t rolls down hill.

Once again, even in this matter BFLO may be geographically IRRelevant and not even a "player."

:lol:

Sorta true. Chicago had to deal with unstable and dirty water that was causing numerous epidemics... Hence the reverse of the rivers away from the lake for health and commerical reason Just as the Erie Canal put BFLO on the map... There is one reason why Chicago was put on the map and is still there today... The original Illinois and Michigan Canal.

My point is WE can engineer around it... Case in point is this "stinky place" that the Native American Fox tribe called Chicago... There were many more ecologically desirable places to set up shop other than this area of northeast Illinois, but none shortcomings that could be solved with human engineering.

At least you guys are keeping me on a semi-work related topic tonight!

:lol::P

In fact like most NE and Midwest american and canadian towns, Chicago is where it is BECAUSE water (in the case of Chicago at the end of the shortest road to go from the Missouri bassin to the Great Lakes system). Problem is when towns were founded later in the West, water was no longer the easiest way of transportation and the natural environment was no longer important to choose where to built a new town.)