Now THAT's why hockey playoffs rock

eball

If the NHL wants to become a "major" TV sport again, they couldn't have asked for a better spectacle than last night's Game 5. No competition from the NBA playoffs, a packed, rocking arena, and unbelievable excitement and drama.

Yes, the game lasted until 1 a.m. EST, but what a game... :rolleyes:

It was fantastic theater! HockeyTown boys come from behind in the 3rd at home. The throng is delirious as the announcer barks "One minute to play in the game!". The Pittsburgh net is empty, the Cup is brought out of the crate and polished, plastic is taped all over the homeboys dressing room and the champagne is having the corkscrew inserted.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:lol::rolleyes:

It was fantastic theater! HockeyTown boys come from behind in the 3rd at home. The throng is delirious as the announcer barks "One minute to play in the game!". The Pittsburgh net is empty, the Cup is brought out of the crate and polished, plastic is taped all over the homeboys dressing room and the champagne is having the corkscrew inserted.

:w00t::rolleyes:

:lol::rolleyes:

In that respect... I hope PITT wins the next two!

:rolleyes:

I watched all 3 OT's last night. Boy am I tired today. It was worth it.

My co-worker , originally from Detroit, is NOT yet at work...

But his schedule is flexible, so it's OK

I stopped at the end of the first OT,,,set the tivo...

for viewing tonight

I have said this for years that playoff hockey just maybe the most exciting spectacle of all the team sports. With that being said, as far as the ratings are concerned, it just does not matter. The people in this country just do not care or unwilling to give it a chance. Saturday night, the nhl ratings were the same as that Martial Arts fighting on CBS. Think about that for a second. The NHL, in what they are calling a dream matchup in their finals, could not even outdraw a sport that is still for all intents & purposes still trying to find their way. Dennis Williams made a good point on the radio this morning. The NHL Finals are drawing their ratings from three markets. Detriot, Pittsburgh & WNY. The rest of the country could really care less.

Saturday night, the nhl ratings were the same as that Martial Arts fighting on CBS

I am not surprized...

Mondays' game was great....Detroit was 34 seconds from the greatest celebration in sports....

...and then the kids from Pittsburgh stood up and said "Not so fast my friend"

I wasn't able to join in til the first OT started but oh my god - what drama. Detroit was skating all over Pit but Fleury was unreal. Love playoff hockey! Saw it til the end. Helped that i'm in central time. Hope Pit pulls it out in game 6 and it goes 7.

I have said this for years that playoff hockey just maybe the most exciting spectacle of all the team sports. With that being said, as far as the ratings are concerned, it just does not matter. The people in this country just do not care or unwilling to give it a chance. Saturday night, the nhl ratings were the same as that Martial Arts fighting on CBS. Think about that for a second. The NHL, in what they are calling a dream matchup in their finals, could not even outdraw a sport that is still for all intents & purposes still trying to find their way. Dennis Williams made a good point on the radio this morning. The NHL Finals are drawing their ratings from three markets. Detriot, Pittsburgh & WNY. The rest of the country could really care less.

There isn't any question in my mind that playoff hockey is the most exciting of all sporting events. And I couldn't care less that the majority of the dopes in this country are busy watching "Dancing Stars" or "Tell your husband you're banging his best friend on national TV for $1MM".

Just a fantastic game last night with the huge momentum swings; Wings 40 seconds from a Cup and instead they are now heading back to Pittsburgh. Too bad I only made it till the end of the 2d OT!

btw....thank you NHL for keeping the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

There isn't any question in my mind that playoff hockey is the most exciting of all sporting events. And I couldn't care less that the majority of the dopes in this country are busy watching "Dancing Stars" or "Tell your husband you're banging his best friend on national TV for $1MM".

Just a fantastic game last night with the huge momentum swings; Wings 40 seconds from a Cup and instead they are now heading back to Pittsburgh. Too bad I only made it till the end of the 2d OT!

btw....thank you NHL for keeping the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

I had a funny conversation with a coworker a few years ago who tried to convince me that a baseball game is more exciting than hockey. M'kay. Hey look kids, that paint is almost dry.

I had to give up after the 1st overtime. :lol:

Went to bed at the end of the first OT as well.

In Canada, everyone (and I do mean everyone) would be riveted to their seat. Here, it's just Michigan, Pittsburgh, WNY, and maybe parts of New England and Minnesota. :rolleyes:

BTW, one guy on Around the Horn said that the Penguins are on the verge of becoming an Edmonton-like dynasty over the next five years.

And now, Game 6. Pens take it, and force Game 7 back in Hockeytown. That's my prediction.

I had a funny conversation with a coworker a few years ago who tried to convince me that a baseball game is more exciting than hockey. M'kay. Hey look kids, that paint is almost dry.

On TV i'd take the baseball game most of the time.... but Playoffs Hockey is must see TV!

I think good playoff baseball can be pretty intense, but not nearly as much as hockey. How many times in the 3d period and OT did the Wings have the Cup right on their stick only to be robbed the Fleury? The save on the play where Gonchar was hurt was spectacular.

I think good playoff baseball can be pretty intense, but not nearly as much as hockey. How many times in the 3d period and OT did the Wings have the Cup right on their stick only to be robbed the Fleury? The save on the play where Gonchar was hurt was spectacular.

Fleury had a whopping 55 saves...the most in the finals since 1998.