Selecting a tennis racquet

Fezmid

So I haven't played tennis in a couple of years, and I'm still using a racquet my parents bought for me when I was in highschool in '92. It's a Wilson Sting, High Beam series, 110 sq/in head. I really liked the racquet, but I brought it out today and realized that it's seen better days so I want to buy a new one.

I want the best "beginner/intermediate" racquet I can get -- price isn't really a consideration for the most part (although I'm not spending $500 on a racquet! :rolleyes: ). I did some searches online and WOW, there's a lot to choose from and a lot to learn!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm more of a baseline player, but I do play the net from time to time. I used to be decent back in the day when I played all the time. I've used a couple of cheap racquets you can buy from Target and they suck - so I want a real one.

I'm not sure how large of a grip to buy either -- or how to measure that. Can I just measure the width of my current racquet? Does it really matter at my level?

CW

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html

You'll want to stay in the same size head if you're a baseliner and just getting back into it. I prefer closer to 100" or even smaller (my favorite racquet is the Wilson Pro Staff 90"), but the larger head is more forgiving. It's also good if you need more power, but you probably can supply most of your own like me.

PS. If you want to narrow things down from the get-go, stick with Wilson. They're my favorite brand, and I think they offer the best overall products on the market...or at least they used to.

Cool, another person I could kick their butt in tennis! Bring it on! :lol:

When I went to pick out my racket I went to Big 5 Sporting goods, picked out the prettiest one, checked the price, tested to see if the grip fit my hand, felt to see if it was not too heavy and said "this will do." :rolleyes: I have a Dunlop and like it quite a bit though I think it's time for a change.

Cool, another person I could kick their butt in tennis! Bring it on! :blink:

Yeah, most likely... Especially considering I'm not in shape anymore! :thumbsup: Feel free to visit Minnesota to find out though :wallbash:

In 2000, I joined a tennis league. I was 1-9 that season... :thumbsup: Of course the competition had been playing for a long time and were all very good. One guy I played (who made mince meat out of me) was once the coach for the Zimbabwe National team... :unsure: Yeah, I stood a chance there... :rolleyes: He did spend an hour or so after the "match" to give me some pointers so that was cool. :thumbsup:

When I went to pick out my racket I went to Big 5 Sporting goods, picked out the prettiest one, checked the price, tested to see if the grip fit my hand, felt to see if it was not too heavy and said "this will do." :lol: I have a Dunlop and like it quite a bit though I think it's time for a change.

You sound like my neighbor. She picked one because it was pink. :ph34r:

Yeah, most likely... Especially considering I'm not in shape anymore! :thumbsup: Feel free to visit Minnesota to find out though :blink:

In 2000, I joined a tennis league. I was 1-9 that season... :thumbsup: Of course the competition had been playing for a long time and were all very good. One guy I played (who made mince meat out of me) was once the coach for the Zimbabwe National team... :unsure: Yeah, I stood a chance there... :rolleyes: He did spend an hour or so after the "match" to give me some pointers so that was cool. :wallbash:

I did doubles league playing for a few years but stopped when my partner started losing games. :thumbsup:

You sound like my neighbor. She picked one because it was pink. :lol:

I had no idea what I was doing at the time. I just knew I needed a racquet. :ph34r: Sometimes trying out a bunch of different racquets will help you decide which ones work the best for you. Tennis warehouse will let you try them out before you buy one. I haven't tried it myself but knew of some people that have. They said it was well worth it.