Soccer reminder

I still think they should let us play in the Euro tourney, just like they let us play as guests in the South American tourney...that would be very cool.

Thanks for the reminder! I'm interested to see if our national team is advancing or regressing.

Call me crazy but I think the Stars and Stripes win in a close game. I think the American style matches up well against England's despite the fact they have a better roster player-for-player except for goalkeeping. Howard is much better in net than any English option.

Call me crazy but I think the Stars and Stripes win in a close game. I think the American style matches up well against England's despite the fact they have a better roster player-for-player except for goalkeeping. Howard is much better in net than any English option.

Could be. The English side has talent, but they've been in chaos for a while now. They can't seem to get it together. It would be pretty significant for the U.S. to get this win against the country who invented the game.

No matter what happens, it will be interesting to see. I can't wait.

Could be. The English side has talent, but they've been in chaos for a while now. They can't seem to get it together. It would be pretty significant for the U.S. to get this win against the country who invented the game.

No matter what happens, it will be interesting to see. I can't wait.

I can't wait, either!

U-S-A...U-S-A...U-S-A!!!!!!

Any lineup info? It should be the Euro-based players for the US, since their leagues are in the offseason, while the MLS is currently playing. I assume a few MLS guys (Donovan, etc.) have made the trip too. It will be interesting to see the lineup. Likewise, England should have their full selection of players....And they don't need to worry about injuries hampering their EURO 2008 performance!!

Any lineup info?

The rosters are stacked!

U.S.

GOALKEEPERS - Dominic Cervi (Out of Contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)

DEFENDERS - Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS - Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Lewis (Derby County)

FORWARDS - Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nate Jaqua (Out of Contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC), Josh Wolff (Out of Contract)

ENGLAND

GOALKEEPERS - David James (Portsmouth), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Chris Kirkland (Wigan)

DEFENDERS - Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Blackburn), David Wheater (Middlesbrough), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham)

MIDFIELDERS - Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), David Bentley (Blackburn), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

FORWARDS - Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Dean Ashton (West Ham), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Dang, sometimes I forget how talented the English team is on paper...this will be a strong test for us!

Why doesnt that candy ass donovan play in the eurotrash leagues? You'd think he would after the way he got embarassed in the 06 cup. Or is he just a giant vag that is content on beating up lower competition?

Why doesnt that candy ass donovan play in the eurotrash leagues? You'd think he would after the way he got embarassed in the 06 cup. Or is he just a giant vag that is content on beating up lower competition?

I really don't care for the guy, either. He's a primadonna who doesn't ever seem to do anything for us in the big games. He appears to have a largely inflated view of himself, and I just assume he stay home for this trip.

I've seen Donovan occasionally show true world class skills. Then sometimes he disappears for long periods. He was amazing in the World Cup draw against Italy. He was maybe the best player on the field that day as the U.S. was a man down for the entire second half, but held the eventual champs to a draw.

He played briefly in Germany (Bayer Leverkusen) around 2005. He was only there a short time and did not see much action.

I think he pretty much prefers living in California with his hot wife, Bianca, and being an "A" star in a "B" league.

I predict though that he will really show himself in this game today. He's been lighting it up with the Galaxy lately.

He went to Germany as a 16-year old and couldn't really hack it. He was there for about 3-4 years and wasn't getting a lot of PT...And was struggling with professionalism, quality of life, etc. He was still under contract with his German club but was loaned to the MLS so that he could play rather than ride the pine. He came back and had a good stint in the MLS, and had a pretty good World Cup in '02, and I think he went back to Germany and tried again, but wasn't there very long at all (maybe 3 months if I remember correctly?) Once again, couldn't really hack it, and his contract was officially sold to MLS. [Don't take any of that as a factual timeframe...That's just kind of how I remember it...]

There is definitely something missing from his game at the international level. He is fast and skillful, but there is that "savvy" that the great players have that Donovan doesn't seem to have. Perhaps sticking it out in Europe for the last 10 years rather than at home in LA could've culitvated that part of his game.

1-0 England at half time. Terry scored on a set piece from Beckham.

USA's offense is garbage without Donovan in the lineup. Dafoe looks great for England when he's not diving around.

One thing I respect about US soccer is we don't dive. You could say the same for England to a degree. They're probably the least diving team in Europe.

I don't like the lineup for USA. Wolff and Johnson had their chance. I would have rather seen someone like Altidore playing. He's probably the best forward Team USA has in their program.

They're making us look like a bunch of women.

At least what we lack in skill and ability, we make for with stupid fouls :unsure:

One thing I respect about US soccer is we don't dive. You could say the same for England to a degree. They're probably the least diving team in Europe.

The '06 World Cup was horrible in this regard and even became borderline unwatchable for me, and I would consider myself a fan. The diving was absolutely pathetic and did a major disservice to the game. I have been watching soccer for many years and overall, that was as bad as I recall ever seeing. And I realize it happens in other sports to some degree (see Derek Roy or Manu Ginobili attempting to draw pentalties/fouls) but the difference in the last World Cup was that there were 65 different camera angles on every game, and the players would roll around on the ground in agony and get stretchered off the field even as four replays show he didn't even get touched. Man up, go hard, and don't expect the ref to bail you out when you lose your dribble.

I don't like the lineup for USA.

I don't either. I'm tired of watching uninspired US soccer. They even had a great chance at the top of the box, but instead of having options for the guy with the ball, they were all together in the same place like you'd see in a pee wee match. Spread the fug out, avail yourself to the pass, and THINK about your play.