Dumb question, but Ill ask anyway

You will likely get charged a mileage fee, as stupid as that sounds. I believe Enterprise writes their contracts to not charge for mileage so long as you don't leave the Tri-State area (NJ, NY, CT). I believe the contract is written for the state, meaning that it is the same in NYC (where the tri-state rule would make sense) as it is in Buffalo.

One thing to note: When you go to rent a car, they always ask if you want the additional insurance. Generally, you don't need to purchase it (for Enterprise, it's $16/day), as your personal car insurance's collision coverage carries over to the rental. Now, if you get into an accident and HAD purchased it, you pay nothing for damage to the car. If you didn't purchase it, you would have to pay your deductible. So, you have to decide if it's worth it for $16 a day. Generally people do not need to purchase it.

The tricky thing about Canada, however, is the fact that you cannot subrogate in Ontario. What that means is that, say you decide to not get the extra insurance, and get rear-ended in Ontario (or any accident that is not your fault). If you decide to use your own insurance, your insurance company CAN NOT go after the at-fault party for what they paid, and more importantly your deductible. All of that said, if renting a car, this is one of the rare situations I would recommend buying the extra insurance.

You will likely get charged a mileage fee, as stupid as that sounds. I believe Enterprise writes their contracts to not charge for mileage so long as you don't leave the Tri-State area (NJ, NY, CT). I believe the contract is written for the state, meaning that it is the same in NYC (where the tri-state rule would make sense) as it is in Buffalo.

One thing to note: When you go to rent a car, they always ask if you want the additional insurance. Generally, you don't need to purchase it (for Enterprise, it's $16/day), as your personal car insurance's collision coverage carries over to the rental. Now, if you get into an accident and HAD purchased it, you pay nothing for damage to the car. If you didn't purchase it, you would have to pay your deductible. So, you have to decide if it's worth it for $16 a day. Generally people do not need to purchase it.

The tricky thing about Canada, however, is the fact that you cannot subrogate in Ontario. What that means is that, say you decide to not get the extra insurance, and get rear-ended in Ontario (or any accident that is not your fault). If you decide to use your own insurance, your insurance company CAN NOT go after the at-fault party for what they paid, and more importantly your deductible. All of that said, if renting a car, this is one of the rare situations I would recommend buying the extra insurance.

Thanks for the tips steve....wife and I are visitng here brother who just recently moved outside of Hamilton...and flying to Toronto is easily double the price of Buffalo right now...so I figured, fly to Buffalo, get some wings somewhere, and enjoy the best of both worlds :lol:

You will likely get charged a mileage fee, as stupid as that sounds. I believe Enterprise writes their contracts to not charge for mileage so long as you don't leave the Tri-State area (NJ, NY, CT).

Now how does that work:

"Sir, did you drive your rental car to Cananda?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Well sir, how do you explain the dead stripper in the back with a hockey puck stuck up her ass?"

Now how does that work:

"Sir, did you drive your rental car to Cananda?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Well sir, how do you explain the dead stripper in the back with a hockey puck stuck up her ass?"

Dude, its a bit early to be ripping on Ted Kennedy...

Thanks for the tips steve....wife and I are visitng here brother who just recently moved outside of Hamilton...and flying to Toronto is easily double the price of Buffalo right now...so I figured, fly to Buffalo, get some wings somewhere, and enjoy the best of both worlds :lol:

No, not somewhere. Duffs. Don't fall for the "Anchor Bar Trap". Their wings suck.

Duffs. Or if you are drunk in Angola, the very best wings on the planet: Castaways. But since that is unlikely, I repeat: Go to Duffs.

Yes you can, I do it all the time. They will try to sell you some special insurance claiming the border people might ask you for it. I have rented a car and driven to canada probably 25 times, never got the "special insurance" , never had a problem. Make sure you bring your own insurance card with though as proof you actually have auto insurance.

EDIT: Except ENTERPRISE....They have all kinds of crazy rules.

No, not somewhere. Duffs. Don't fall for the "Anchor Bar Trap". Their wings suck.

Duffs. Or if you are drunk in Angola, the very best wings on the planet: Castaways. But since that is unlikely, I repeat: Go to Duffs.

Anchor Bar.... :lol:

Agreed! Just got back from WNY and brought home ~80 wings from Duffs for football season. I knew that Food Saver my wife wanted would come in handy some day! :wub::lol:

How would they even know you went to Canada?? Why would they care where you drive?

They'd know if you got pulled over or got in an accident....

When I bought my Camry back in '99, the loan papers said that I couldn't leave the country with the car as well. It was sad that the dealer was surprised when I pointed that clause out to him though.

You are allowed to take that car over to Canada for a few days, correct?

yes you are. i just drove up to toronto last year.got hassled by american customs on the way back.wanted to punch the little nerdlings teeth in....but then again that would have delayed me even further.

They'd know if you got pulled over or got in an accident....

When I bought my Camry back in '99, the loan papers said that I couldn't leave the country with the car as well. It was sad that the dealer was surprised when I pointed that clause out to him though.

But...I don't plan on getting in an accident or get pulled over. :lol:

How would they even know you went to Canada?? Why would they care where you drive?

They wouldn't. Unless, as Fez said, you get into an accident. And then, if you get into an accident, and sign a contract saying you wouldn't leave the country, guess who's paying for all the damage?

But then again, if you're not planning on getting into an accident, you should be fine. :lol: