Bills hesitant to use rookie CB McKelvin as returner

Pro Football Weekly Blurb:

There was little contention entering April’s draft that whatever team landed Troy’s Leodis McKelvin would not only be gaining the services of one of the top cover corners in the rookie class, but also a player who would add some sizzle returning kickoffs and punts. Although more accomplished as a punt returner, McKelvin was effective at both, scoring seven touchdowns on returns throughout his collegiate career. But the way we hear it, his special-teams ability will be shelved in Buffalo, at least early on. With an already brilliant special-teams unit — arguably the best in the NFL — and a shoddy secondary, coach Dick Jauron wants McKelvin to learn the ropes of the defense first and foremost. McKelvin isn’t a particularly astute student of the game, and the feeling among the coaches is that throwing both the defensive and special-teams playbooks at him at once will stunt his development. Even if the team felt McKelvin could handle dual responsibilities, there’s no guarantee he’d improve the special-teams play, considering KR Terrence McGee and PR Roscoe Parrish are two of the best in the business.

I stopped reading right there and realized this is just jive.

It's the reverse of Cam Cameron's pontification to the Fag's faithful on Draft Day One last year when he was trying to sell them on Ted Ginn Jr. becoming - one day - one of the best punt returners in pro football.

It's ass-wipe nonsense.

Brandon hired himself a Corner... several actually, not a returner.

That's how they've couched it.

If he takes a few to the house this year - all the better.

But he's officially a Corner.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
As long as he doesn't get injured, he'll be "fresh." Its not like sprinting 30 yards a couple times a game is going to make him unable to cover recievers. He's only been doing it his whole career, after all.

Towards the end of the year though Mcgee's been losing a step. The extra duties can really wear you down, especialy returning kicks. Mckelvin could turn out to be just as good and he's younger so let him carry the load.

Towards the end of the year though Mcgee's been losing a step.

I'm sure he has... :lol:

Towards the end of the year though Mcgee's been losing a step. The extra duties can really wear you down, especialy returning kicks. Mckelvin could turn out to be just as good and he's younger so let him carry the load.

The likelihood of McKelvin also having one of the best yards per kick averages EVER is slim to none. McGee is simply brilliant returning kickoffs, and the value of what he does can not be overstated. You've heard with 'don't mess with a good thing'...well don't mess with a spectacular thing. There's just no legitimate reason for benching one of the league's finest return men.

"He isn't an astute student of the game."

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd think that the special teams playbook would be easy for a returner. Why don't they just come out and say. "We don't trust him to know when to fair catch, let the ball go inside the 10, or turn it upfield."

That statement in general should scare the hell out of Bills fans everywhere as the last 2 drafts have been laden with students of the game.

What?!! :oops:

I know there have been some 'not so bright' great conerbacks, but I've never heard of a player so dumb that his team is worried he'll get confused about what to do after catching a kicked ball. Especially when he performed both brilliantly in college!

This has to be bogus.

Apparently McCorner is McStupid too?