SI 100 Philly heartbreaks

Couple funny ones from the article on 100 years of Philly sports heartbreaks:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more....drought/1.html

45. Eagles take Kevin Allen with No. 9 overall pick | Apr. 30, 1985

The Eagles selected Allen, a left tackle out of Indiana, with the ninth overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft. He was gone after one season and later pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated sexual assault. "He was a good player to have," mused Buddy Ryan, "if you want someone to stand around and kill the grass."

Anyways, I enjoyed the article even if I didn't care about a lot of it.

73. Sabres' end Philly's conference title defense in five-game rout | May 1, 1998

One year after suffering a disappointing sweep in the Stanley Cup Finals, the Flyers confidently set out to defend their conference title. They wound up taking an enormous step backward as team captain Eric Lindros barely showed up for Philly's first-round flameout against the Sabres.

53. Sabres eliminate Flyers from East quarters with 7-1 thumping | May 2, 2006

The Sabres netted three goals apiece in the first and second periods, forcing the Flyers to play out the final 20 minutes of their season in a virtually empty Wachovia Center.

44. Sabres bounce Flyers from playoffs in 8-0 rout | Apr. 21, 2001

After limiting Buffalo to two goals in four games during Philadelphia's regular-season sweep of the Sabres, Roman Cechmanek surrendered five goals during the first 24 minutes in Game 6 of a first-round series.

:blink:

I'd also make an honorable (dishonorable?) mention about that time Rocky Balboa lost the heavyweight title to Clubber Lang