Charter communications to sell your browsing history

Chilly

Good God...

Charter Communications, the No. 4 cable company, has started warning its cable modem subscribers that it will start tracking all of the Web sites they visit. Charter (CHTR) will sell the data to a firm called NebuAd, which will use subscribers' browsing history to target which ads they'll see.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/charter..._and_cashing_in

The opt out clause thing shouldn't exist. It should be an OPT IN thing!!

The little men and women in the private sector working in their little cubicles on their databases and their programming are a threat to privacy far greater than any government entity could hope to be. :thumbsup:

Google tracks what we post here. The ads that show up when one invokes TBD and is not logged in, for example. The Where is Deano arrest thread had an ad link to a site that offers arrest records this morning, for example.

If you call Google cache "tracking what you post", perhaps, but they have no way of determining who is who unless you specifically give that information out. In addition, this is a public forum, and as such there is no reasonable expectation of privacy of what you say, just of who you are (anonymity of person, not of content).

In contrast, tracking browsing traffic at the ISP level makes it ridiculously easy for Charter to say that specific person xxx goes to sites yyy, making it trivial for the ISP to know who is looking at what (and, of course, to sell that information).

In contrast, tracking browsing traffic at the ISP level makes it ridiculously easy for Charter to say that specific person xxx goes to sites yyy, making it trivial for the ISP to know who is looking at what (and, of course, to sell that information).

Ahh...I see..an escalation of hostilities! :thumbsup:

The Where is Deano arrest thread had an ad link to a site that offers arrest records this morning, for example.

I know what you mean. I tried to reply to a post from Moslen Golden on PPP, and I had a pop-up hit my screen with a coupon for a free supply of Massengill.

Creepy.