Idol Roundup

Vids in the sig link.

David Archuletta. He's sporting the 1988 look with the Member's only jacket and skinny tie. What the !@#$ dude? Get modern.

Turns out David is from Utah and his town mayor is Sam Elliot?

"And so it goes" by Billy Joel. It's a Paula choice. David's dew is a brush forward straight from Speed Racer. As is so often the case, his Nasalness left me cold, bored, and dulled out. Randy says Paula chose a dope song. Yeah. Kinda. David is a dwarf. Simon says he's predictable, which is spot on--Archuletta does one song: ballad. Any movement towards a cool song throws him.

"With You" by Chris Brown. This is a hot contemporary song and Chris Brown can both sing and dance. Archuletta can't match Brown's voice and his dancing? Honkeee-tastic.

"Longer" by Dan Fogelberg. Producer's choice. This is my "give a guy a good ass-!@#$ing" song. Yeehaw. Couldn't be a cornier corndoggy song. My wife Abigail curses me and this blog because I force her to sit through every tortuous note. Are the violins really necessary to add to the cheesey vibe? "You could sing the phone book" is the line of the night for Randy--he's shelved "If you can sing, you can sing anything" this week.

Syesha Mercado. Randy's song choice. "If I ain't got you." Alicia Keys. Unoriginal--another divaesque deal. I have to wonder: did Syesha try to find such an unflattering dress? She's got major low orbit boobies. Hard to look bad with her supermodel body but she succeeded. Nevertheless, after weeks of hatred, the song was pretty good.

Syesha's choice. "Fever" by Peggy Lee. Sexy dress. Lighting is good. Best moves and stage presence of the remaining 3. All this "action" started from Andrew Lloyd Webber week. The judges hated it. (See conspiracy notes). !@#$ the judges. They were WAY wrong--she is the best of round 2.

"Hit me up" by Gia Ferrall. Stupid song choice from !@#$head producers. Some songs you aren't supposed to sing live. Ever. This is one of them. I'm sure Gia Ferrall lip sucks this in concert. And yet they put Syesha to the challenge of singing it live. !@#$-mother!@#$ers. I'd kill them Syesha. It was bad. Paula says Syesha's not good enough for the finals and she's right but who would pick this song?

David Cook. "First time ever I saw your face" by Roberta Flack. Simon picked this to bust David's balls. David has a few pitch issues chasing the high range but the judges praise him for the most part--and have some funny interaction as Simon compliments his choice. The Round 1 winner. David's Mom is tearful and standing during the song: +1 million votes.

David's choice is Switchfoot's "Dare you to move." Like last week with Baba O'Reilly, he doesn't have enough time to build a song in 90 seconds. Paula is right on there. Decent enough but not great.

"I don't wanna miss a thing" by (in my mind) Aerosmith. Apparently, some chick wrote it but when I hear it, I tear up over Bruce Willis's bravery in Armageddon. Or was he in the other earth-killing asteroid movie? Whatever. David goes risky and starts with a string background that builds to a rocking crescendo. He pulls off the slow build in his 90 seconds, to my amazement. He's the round 3 winner.

Other observations.

There was lots of calculated judge bull sh--. Clearly they want the battle of the Davids, and hammered Syesha even though Archuletta didn't do sh--.

The hot chick from Taxi was in the audience, as was the gay secretary from that sh------- show about the dumb handsome actor on HBO.

Vids in the sig link.

David Archuletta. He's sporting the 1988 look with the Member's only jacket and skinny tie. What the !@#$ dude? Get modern.

Turns out David is from Utah and his town mayor is Sam Elliot? :w00t:

Great review!

Syesha's f-ing hot! :rolleyes:

Great observations again.

Let me add a few thoughts of my own.

1) I love Switchfoot--but thought David Cook butchered the song. It was a horrendous rendition--really out of tune, and, as you said, too truncated.

2) I actually think Paula historically picks the best songs on this night. As much as I dislike Archuletta, his performance of the Billy Joel song was really good.

3) Speaking of Archuletta, did you see his dad got banned from being backstage on American Idol? When I heard that, I imemdiately thought of JA's blog from three weeks ago, alluding to the fact that his dad gives him 30 lashes for missing a note. :rolleyes:

4) If it wasn't clear before with the producers' selection of such guest stars as Dolly Parton, Neil Diamond, the Bee Gees, Burt Bacharach, etc., it is now crystal clear after their song selections last night: the producers are horribly out of touch with today's music.

3) Speaking of Archuletta, did you see his dad got banned from being backstage on American Idol? When I heard that, I imemdiately thought of JA's blog from three weeks ago, alluding to the fact that his dad gives him 30 lashes for missing a note. :rolleyes:

I love seeing crazy Jeff Archuletta in the audience. I imagine him frothing at the mouth every time David makes a mistake. David's been on Star Search and every pageant known to man--if there's a god, he loses. I have no faith in the voting system on Idol though--I think Archuletta is in the script to win it all.

There was lots of calculated judge bull sh--. Clearly they want the battle of the Davids, and hammered Syesha even though Archuletta didn't do sh--.

I noticed that too. :blink:

This show has gone down hill since Michael Johns left, IMO. :rolleyes::wallbash: